nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   PHYSX??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160892)

Eltigre88 03-23-11 07:27 AM

PHYSX???
 
So are we going to ever see real game titles use this? Anyone know of any games coming out that will? BF3 with Frostbite 2 engine possibly? Seems like a waste if nothing comes out to utilize this technology.....

Madpistol 03-23-11 08:02 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Like I've been saying all along, Physx will remain a gimmick as long as it remains a proprietary item. Wrap it into OpenCL so both companies can use it, and I bet it will succeed better.

Since AMD is competitive, it would be stupid for companies to develop a product for a highly niche product.

Eltigre88 03-23-11 09:18 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Frostbite 2 is laying claim to using Pysx.

ViN86 03-23-11 09:40 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eltigre88 (Post 2409034)
So are we going to ever see real game titles use this? Anyone know of any games coming out that will? BF3 with Frostbite 2 engine possibly? Seems like a waste if nothing comes out to utilize this technology.....

I doubt BF3 will use it. Bad Company 2 used the Frostbite engine and did not use PhysX. It's possible they added it to the new engine, but unlikely.

Honestly, I think PhysX is a gimmick.

Eltigre88 03-23-11 12:12 PM

Re: PHYSX???
 
The results looked pretty good in the Batman game.....

mojoman0 03-23-11 04:55 PM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eltigre88 (Post 2409060)
Frostbite 2 is laying claim to using Pysx.

huh? no. DICE uses Havok in Frostbite

Eltigre88 03-24-11 05:17 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2409195)
huh? no. DICE uses Havok in Frostbite

Well I'm glad someone can find some info on Frostbite 2. I googled and did not see anything on Havok.

Muppet 03-24-11 05:49 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2409040)
Like I've been saying all along, Physx will remain a gimmick as long as it remains a proprietary item. Wrap it into OpenCL so both companies can use it, and I bet it will succeed better.

Since AMD is competitive, it would be stupid for companies to develop a product for a highly niche product.

That is fair enough, but it does come back to the point of why should Nvidia pay millions to acquire the PhysX technology and hand it over to ATI for free. In a perfect world they would, but this world is driven by the almighty $.

Madpistol 03-24-11 08:47 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2409408)
That is fair enough, but it does come back to the point of why should Nvidia pay millions to acquire the PhysX technology and hand it over to ATI for free. In a perfect world they would, but this world is driven by the almighty $.

Quite true. As long as that remains true, PhysX will remain a very niche product that will only be developed for a handful of games. No use catering to that 2% of nvidia card owners that feel the need to own a 2nd GPU just for Physx processing.

Q 03-24-11 08:56 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Madpistol is absolutely right. Think about all of the "innovation" that both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA have produced over the last 10 years that never took off. Some of the stuff looked AWESOME in the games that supported it, but if it is not an industry standard it will never take off in the GPU market.

fivefeet8 03-24-11 02:30 PM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Batman: Arkham City

Muppet 03-25-11 12:03 AM

Re: PHYSX???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2409439)
Madpistol is absolutely right. Think about all of the "innovation" that both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA have produced over the last 10 years that never took off. Some of the stuff looked AWESOME in the games that supported it, but if it is not an industry standard it will never take off in the GPU market.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much innovation both ATI or Nvidia put into there products. Until Consoles support it they will never take off. For example, imo if the PS3 and or Xbox supported PhysX, I bet game developers would support it. Of this I am sure. Game developers are more interested in consoles because that is where the money is. It is just a sad fact of life.

The only industry standard is the console one i'm afraid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.