nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161276)

boxleitnerb 04-06-11 12:33 PM

NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
In the nVidia forums there is a petition thread regarding:
  • SGSSAA without blur (unfortunately, Nvidias SGSSAA can blur quite nastily. This can be alleviated by changing the AA compatibility bits, but that doesn't always work. And it's quite fiddly to find the right bits).

    Refer to this post here for image comparisons:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...post&p=1220253
    Quite a difference...

  • LOD adjustment in DX10/11 apps/games.
    Without adjusting the LOD when using SGSSAA, the finer details on textures can get lost due to oversampling.

    Refer to this page for an image comparison (halfway down - the middle picture is without LOD adjustment, the right one is with LOD adjustment - right now ONLY possible in DX9 and below):
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,79...arte/Download/
    Again, a very pronounced difference.

The petition thread, that is closely monitored by Nvidias driver team, can be found here:
(SG)SSAA a bit blurry - NVIDIA Forums

The more people, that post there and lend their support, the higher the probability that Nvidia gives us a blur-free SGSSAA mode and LOD adjustment.

Please support this cause, so we can all enjoy near perfect image quality with our Geforces :)

boxleitnerb 04-09-11 05:11 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Honestly, no reply???

Madpistol 04-09-11 09:54 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boxleitnerb (Post 2416522)
Honestly, no reply???

Honestly, don't care.

AA is cool, but past 4xMSAA, it doesn't really matter in my eyes.

|MaguS| 04-09-11 10:49 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2416567)
Honestly, don't care.

AA is cool, but past 4xMSAA, it doesn't really matter in my eyes.

I know, At 2048x1152 resolution 8xAA is more then enough for me.

Sean_W 04-10-11 05:34 AM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2416567)
Honestly, don't care.

AA is cool, but past 4xMSAA, it doesn't really matter in my eyes.

It matters when cleaning up the distant details and fine details like bars, fences and wires. Why would you not want perfect image quality when today's cards can do it?

Even 3D films uses AA at crazy resolutions because it cleans the image up and adds fidelity.

Sean_W 04-10-11 05:38 AM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2416585)
I know, At 2048x1152 resolution 8xAA is more then enough for me.

Your resolution will not make up for say the trees in Crysis 1 and only SSAA can do that properly.

Shocky 04-10-11 06:15 AM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
When are we getting nvidia version of MLAA? I never SSAA and really don't care about it.

Madpistol 04-10-11 08:33 AM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 2416631)
It matters when cleaning up the distant details and fine details like bars, fences and wires. Why would you not want perfect image quality when today's cards can do it?

Even 3D films uses AA at crazy resolutions because it cleans the image up and adds fidelity.

That's CG, though. CG is supposed to be perfect. It also requires that each frame be calculated precisely. That takes a lot of time and processing power.

I still don't see how this is relevant to current games. After 4xAA, you don't see much of a difference.

|MaguS| 04-10-11 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 2416632)
Your resolution will not make up for say the trees in Crysis 1 and only SSAA can do that properly.

Well its a good thing I don't play that ****. In L4D its more then enough.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Kemo 04-17-11 11:56 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2416646)
That's CG, though. CG is supposed to be perfect. It also requires that each frame be calculated precisely. That takes a lot of time and processing power.

I still don't see how this is relevant to current games. After 4xAA, you don't see much of a difference.

I wear glasses and even without them I can see a difference between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA @1680x1050, I've used 32xAA at 1080p and saw a HUGE difference. Some of us are detail whores.

Madpistol 04-18-11 01:20 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemo (Post 2419827)
I wear glasses and even without them I can see a difference between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA @1680x1050, I've used 32xAA at 1080p and saw a HUGE difference. Some of us are detail whores.

In your unique case, you're right. Most people, however, can't tell a difference.

Sean_W 04-18-11 02:01 PM

Re: NVIDIA - Petition for SGSSAA without blur and LOD adjustment@DX10/11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2416646)
That's CG, though. CG is supposed to be perfect. It also requires that each frame be calculated precisely. That takes a lot of time and processing power.

I still don't see how this is relevant to current games. After 4xAA, you don't see much of a difference.

Yes you can. Look at transparent textures like trees. If you take the trees in Crysis for example, SSAA and SGSSAA make a big difference. Distant objects, fences, bars, lines all looks much better with SSAA and SGSSAA.

CG isn't no different to game image quality and they should both strive to produce perfect fidelity. The latest GPU don't really have a problem doing it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.