nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161367)

someone2000 04-09-11 02:35 AM

2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
I have an HP HDX9494 laptop with a Geforce 8800 GTS in it.

I want to drive a 2560x1600 display via the HDMI port.

It appears that the internal display is driven by DFP-0, which is a dual link interface, which has a maximum pixel rate of 330 MHz.

The HDMI port is driven by DFP-1, which is a single link interface. It has a maximum pixel rate of 165 MHz, which is insufficient to drive a 2560x1600 display.

Is there any way to connect the output of DFP-0 to the HDMI port or otherwise drive a 2560x1600 monitor ?

Thanks

Xevious 04-09-11 04:17 AM

Re: 2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by someone2000 (Post 2416351)
Is there any way to connect the output of DFP-0 to the HDMI port or otherwise drive a 2560x1600 monitor ?

Thanks

No, I have *never* heard of a any HDMI output on a video card in a computer that is able to support the higher bandwidth requirements for 2560x1600 (IE similar bandwidth as dual-link DVI). If your laptop doesn't have display port or dual-link DVI I am pretty sure you are SOL.

someone2000 04-09-11 01:13 PM

Re: 2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xevious (Post 2416363)
No, I have *never* heard of a any HDMI output on a video card in a computer that is able to support the higher bandwidth requirements for 2560x1600 (IE similar bandwidth as dual-link DVI). If your laptop doesn't have display port or dual-link DVI I am pretty sure you are SOL.


You might want to check out the specs on HDMI 1.3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

"HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).[42][2][103] It optionally supports Deep Color, with 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit xvYCC, sRGB, or YCbCr, compared to 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous HDMI versions."

"Maximum resolution over single link at 24-bit/px[b] <snip> 25601600p75"

someone2000 04-09-11 01:17 PM

Re: 2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
I am double posted this here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...59#post2416459

Xevious 04-09-11 11:46 PM

Re: 2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by someone2000 (Post 2416457)
You might want to check out the specs on HDMI 1.3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

"HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).[42][2][103] It optionally supports Deep Color, with 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit xvYCC, sRGB, or YCbCr, compared to 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous HDMI versions."

"Maximum resolution over single link at 24-bit/px[b] <snip> 25601600p75"

I said I have never seen a computer that has HDMI that supports the higher bandwidth. Please show me a computer videocard that is HDMI 1.3 spec.

danix 04-11-11 03:58 PM

Re: 2560x1600 from HDMI. Redirect DFP-0 ?
 
Apparently I replied to the double post. If you really want to try to make this work, you can try creating a modeline that underclocks the refresh rate so that you can drive the resolution you want and stay under the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. Make sure to set option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" so that the driver won't try to match your mode against existing modes from the EDID. There's no guarantee that your display would actually be able to display this mode, and obviously your refresh rate would suffer, but it might be worth a shot.

The following modelines for 2560x1600 @ 30 Hz both come in at under 165 MHz:


bash-3.2$ gtf 2560 1600 30

# 2560x1600 @ 30.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 48.84 kHz; pclk: 164.10 MHz
Modeline "2560x1600_30.00" 164.10 2560 2688 2960 3360 1600 1601 1604 1628 -HSync +Vsync

bash-3.2$ cvt 2560 1600 30
# 2560x1600 29.99 Hz (CVT) hsync: 48.88 kHz; pclk: 164.25 MHz
Modeline "2560x1600_30.00" 164.25 2560 2696 2960 3360 1600 1603 1609 1630 -hsync +vsync


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.