nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Attention audio listeners. (especially HDMI audio users) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161383)

Rakeesh 04-09-11 06:52 PM

Attention audio listeners. (especially HDMI audio users)

1 Attachment(s)
Ever wanted to listen to audio while your monitor is off, but don't want to go into the power management settings to disable automatic sleep so that your music goes on forever uninterrupted, and then go back and turn it back on once you're done?

Then this little program I whipped up is for you.

Just run this program, and while the window is open, automatic sleep and monitor power down are disabled. This is especially useful for HDMI audio users like me who don't want their monitor to power off (which also turns off HDMI audio) while listening.

Simply close the window (which exits the program) and everything is back to normal. No going into the power management settings each time you want to toggle this. This program doesn't change any settings either so even in the event of abnormal program termination (e.g. power goes out) there's nothing to fix.

Source code is included. Probably requires .NET framework to work.

Based on code examples here.

ViN86 04-09-11 07:02 PM

Nice work. Probably requires admin privileges too. Is that right?

Rakeesh 04-09-11 07:04 PM

Re: Attention audio listeners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2416538)
Nice work. Probably requires admin privileges too. Is that right?

Nope.

It basically does the same thing that media players typically do when you watch a video, only they often don't do the same thing for audio.

Stuff like long flash videos, or pandora radio, or pretty much any browser based audio, typically doesn't disable monitor shut off or sleep, so you have to use some other means. I came up with this idea while I was trying to play some ambiance while working on my homework, and got tired of having to screw with the power management settings. About 15 minutes later, I had a working program, and I thought I'd share it.

GamblerFEXonlin 05-19-11 02:30 PM

Re: Attention audio listeners. (especially HDMI audio users)

Very nice! I understand that you need a video signal if you want audio over hdmi. Maybe this will be fixed in future hdmi spec release?

mullet 05-19-11 05:14 PM

WOW you made that, your brain is huge!!!

Rakeesh 05-19-11 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamblerFEXonlin (Post 2435203)
Very nice! I understand that you need a video signal if you want audio over hdmi. Maybe this will be fixed in future hdmi spec release?

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. Intel seems to be in this mindset that HDMI should only be used for video, with audio optional.

technoid 05-21-11 07:51 AM

This requires .NET framework version 4 to be installed.

I'm curious, does what you create this with have the option to build it for .NET framework 3 or does it require 4? Most everyone already has .NET 3 on their system but many have not upgraded to 4. Including me of course.

Rakeesh 05-25-11 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technoid (Post 2436085)
This requires .NET framework version 4 to be installed.

I'm curious, does what you create this with have the option to build it for .NET framework 3 or does it require 4? Most everyone already has .NET 3 on their system but many have not upgraded to 4. Including me of course.

Honestly I don't really know, I'm not an expert with visual studio by any stretch, just experienced with C and recently learned C# as part of my degree program (that and my school just gave me a copy of visual studio pro for free.) Coincidentally, hooking into the kernel API is trivial with C# compared to regular C, hence my decision to use it. I don't even really know much about the .NET framework at all; C# doesn't really require you to. I'll play around with the build options later and see if I can find anything interesting though.

ViN86 05-25-11 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakeesh (Post 2437394)
Honestly I don't really know, I'm not an expert with visual studio by any stretch, just experienced with C and recently learned C# as part of my degree program (that and my school just gave me a copy of visual studio pro for free.) Coincidentally, hooking into the kernel API is trivial with C# compared to regular C, hence my decision to use it. I don't even really know much about the .NET framework at all; C# doesn't really require you to. I'll play around with the build options later and see if I can find anything interesting though.

Framework version is an option when you setup the project.

lduguay 05-25-11 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just open your Project Properties

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/atta...7&d=1306334991

ViN86 05-26-11 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay (Post 2437490)

Bingo. Thanks lduguay.