nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   VDPAU Feature Set D (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161476)

Deanjo 04-12-11 09:28 PM

VDPAU Feature Set D

I noticed that the new GT 520 and the NVS 4200 have a new vdpau feature set, D. What are the differences between C and D as the documentation lists the same capabilities?

Deanjo 04-13-11 07:07 PM

Re: VDPAU Feature Set D

Stephen Warren, do you have any insight into this?

primerib 04-14-11 01:58 AM

I'd like to know as well since I'm in the market for another card.

Deanjo 04-14-11 07:06 PM

Ya it would nice to know as I'm in the middle of acquiring parts for a new HTPC.

primerib 04-16-11 11:24 AM

Nothing?

zbiggy 04-16-11 12:44 PM

Quote:

What's also interesting though from the new hardware enablement is that the GeForce GT 520 and NVIDIA NVS 4200 are sporting a new VDPAU feature-set, classified as D.

Dean Hilkewich, better known as "Deanjo" in our forums, who is usually spot-on with his comments regarding NVIDIA's Linux support, says that WebM may soon be coming to VDPAU as part of this new feature-set. This is also good news since VP8/WebM acceleration over VDPAU might come to Gallium3D this summer for open-source drivers.
source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTMyNA

Nvidia people said many times that they are not allowed to comment the future features or products. So do not expect response from Nvidia until there will be official announcement
in release notes, documentation or press release.

Dragoran 04-16-11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbiggy (Post 2419247)

So you are pointing the OP to his own speculation? ;)

primerib 04-18-11 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbiggy (Post 2419247)
Nvidia people said many times that they are not allowed to comment the future features or products. So do not expect response from Nvidia until there will be official announcement
in release notes, documentation or press release.

Considering you can already buy a GeForce GT 520 with feature set D, I don't see why you would classify this as "future features or products". That makes no sense what-so-ever.

zbiggy 04-18-11 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primerib (Post 2419855)
Considering you can already buy a GeForce GT 520 with feature set D, I don't see why you would classify this as "future features or products". That makes no sense what-so-ever.

VDPAU D is future feature. There is no programming docs to make use of it so it remains trading secret. The same is with new windows drivers - new pci ids appear to support new products but there is no official announcement from Nvidia so you do not know anything about new GPU features except the pci id, code name or product name till Nvidia or newspapers tell more.

Hint: if you would like to know what VDPAU D may have look at what new video acceleration formats Windows driver supports on this particular GPU. These new features may appear as VDPAU.

Deanjo 04-18-11 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbiggy (Post 2419887)
Hint: if you would like to know what VDPAU D may have look at what new video acceleration formats Windows driver supports on this particular GPU. These new features may appear as VDPAU.

The formats listed are the same as VDPAU C.

primerib 04-18-11 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbiggy (Post 2419887)
VDPAU D is future feature. There is no programming docs to make use of it so it remains trading secret. The same is with new windows drivers - new pci ids appear to support new products but there is no official announcement from Nvidia so you do not know anything about new GPU features except the pci id, code name or product name till Nvidia or newspapers tell more.

That's unfortunate. I'm not going to throw money at hardware and not know what I'm getting for it.

zbiggy 04-19-11 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primerib (Post 2420392)
That's unfortunate. I'm not going to throw money at hardware and not know what I'm getting for it.

According to Nvidia release notes VDPAU C and D are identical. In real world introducing new feature set which is identical to previous one makes no sense. But in marketing world the situation is different - buy VDPAU D because it is just newer than VDPAU C. When you look at GT520 hardware you see GT430 features cut in half and price lower by $10. Who will buy this? - Only people who believe that newer is just better because is more new (OEMs, big shops selling "shop brand" cheap computers). When I read reviews of GT520 I see no good opinion both in international sites and here in Poland. Everyone asks: for who this card was created? Performance of IGP but noise, power consumption, 2 slot cooling size of discrete GPU and price the same as GT430 (its price dropped because GT4xx is now previous generation and shops do shelves cleaning).

I think Nvidia is just making noise in every possible way to put attention to this card and make you buy it. Since they started to sell nForce7xx/Geforce 8200 with usb 1.1 hanging on Linux without making any patch to fix this I turned from being Nvidia fan to demanding client and always suspiciously look at dirty Nvidia hands when they try to sell me something.