nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I am a tech support guy's worst nightmare! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=161583)

Madpistol 04-16-11 12:53 PM

I am a tech support guy's worst nightmare!

On the phone with Kodak Tech support trying to get my printer to work again.

Background: Lightning strike a few days ago fried a surge protector, router, ethernet port on a cable modem, ethernet port on a computer (fiance's), and now, it seems the usb port on my kodak all-in-one printer.

So I got on tech support this morning, first live chat which was dreadfully slow. We were unable to resolve the issue, so they referred me to their phone support. As expected, I got a guy probably stationed out of india (although, at one time he put me on hold and picked up to talk to his supervisor, but instead talked to me again, and it was in english. That threw me for a loop.) We went through roughly 2 hours of talking me through uninstalling/reinstalling the printer, drivers, changing the USB cable out, installing it on another computer, FORCING a manual install, etc. The entire time, I was always one step ahead of him. After it was all said and done, I got the same error every time I plugged the printer into the computer:

"USB device not recognized"

The entire time, I kept saying it was the USB controller on the printer, but he refused to believe me and continued on through tireless troubleshooting. At one point, he even said I needed to contact Microsoft as it was an issue with my operating system. At that point, I assured him that I reformat my computer every 6 months and am not your typical joe computer user. He was surprised that my computer has 8GB of memory and the CPU is overclocked to 3.9Ghz too.

Eventually, about 15 minutes before this ended, he asked if I had had any sort of power surges recently. It took him exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes to ask this magical question. At that point, I plugged the printer into my dinosaur Dell laptop that has windows XP on it. Surprise surprise, I got the same exact error. At that point, he conceded that I was right and ordered a "free of charge" RMA of the product.

I am a tech geek, and I am tech support's worst nightmare. As much as tech support may know, I know more. :D

Redeemed 04-16-11 01:12 PM

Re: I am a tech support guy's worst nightmare!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2419217)
On the phone with Kodak Tech support trying to get my printer to work again.

Background: Lightning strike a few days ago fried a surge protector, router, ethernet port on a cable modem, ethernet port on a computer (fiance's), and now, it seems the usb port on my kodak all-in-one printer.

So I got on tech support this morning, first live chat which was dreadfully slow. We were unable to resolve the issue, so they referred me to their phone support. As expected, I got a guy probably stationed out of india (although, at one time he put me on hold and picked up to talk to his supervisor, but instead talked to me again, and it was in english. That threw me for a loop.) We went through roughly 2 hours of talking me through uninstalling/reinstalling the printer, drivers, changing the USB cable out, installing it on another computer, FORCING a manual install, etc. The entire time, I was always one step ahead of him. After it was all said and done, I got the same error every time I plugged the printer into the computer:

"USB device not recognized"

The entire time, I kept saying it was the USB controller on the printer, but he refused to believe me and continued on through tireless troubleshooting. At one point, he even said I needed to contact Microsoft as it was an issue with my operating system. At that point, I assured him that I reformat my computer every 6 months and am not your typical joe computer user. He was surprised that my computer has 8GB of memory and the CPU is overclocked to 3.9Ghz too.

Eventually, about 15 minutes before this ended, he asked if I had had any sort of power surges recently. It took him exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes to ask this magical question. At that point, I plugged the printer into my dinosaur Dell laptop that has windows XP on it. Surprise surprise, I got the same exact error. At that point, he conceded that I was right and ordered a "free of charge" RMA of the product.

I am a tech geek, and I am tech support's worst nightmare. As much as tech support may know, I know more. :D

As you may be more right than wrong... being that I work for the geek squad it annoys me to no end when I have to deal with customers whom believe they know more than I. Sure, it's possible. In fact I darn well know that there are people out there more tech savy than I. However, if that be the case then you've likely no business coming to me for help and are instead wasting my time and your money.

If you have the knowledge but don't have the means for what ever reason just acknowledge that you're dealing with a fellow tech and have some respect. I get so frustrated at people talking down to me over the phone or in person. I'm half tempted to refuse them any service at all. Fix it yourself. :lol:

In regards to OEM tech support- you're definitely right. I've encountered the same my self. Very frustrating. :lol:

Madpistol 04-16-11 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2419227)
As you may be more right than wrong... being that I work for the geek squad it annoys me to no end when I have to deal with customers whom believe they know more than I. Sure, it's possible. In fact I darn well know that there are people out there more tech savy than I. However, if that be the case then you've likely no business coming to me for help and are instead wasting my time and your money.

If you have the knowledge but don't have the means for what ever reason just acknowledge that you're dealing with a fellow tech and have some respect. I get so frustrated at people talking down to me over the phone or in person. I'm half tempted to refuse them any service at all. Fix it yourself. :lol:

In regards to OEM tech support- you're definitely right. I've encountered the same my self. Very frustrating. :lol:

I didn't talk down to the guy. I was very friendly and polite the entire time because at the end of the day, he puts his pants on one leg at a time just as I do. He's human and so am I. The thing that actually angered me was when he told me that it was an OS problem, and I knew damn well that it was not an OS problem.

I'm extremely polite any time I have to deal with another person, no matter where they are or what their nationality is. There's no reason not to be. I just wish I didn't have to sit on the phone for 2 hours walking through and repeating the same steps 2 and 3 times before they finally rule the product defective. I've never had this issue with XFX or even cableone (our internet provider) They're always quick and easy to deal with.

For an average joe talking to tech support, I agree that I hate it when joes ask me for tech advice and immediately assume that I'm wrong. I can't stand that. When they're nice to me, I'm nice to them. If there is an issue and we resolve it without trying to "pass the torch" to another company, I'm also very happy and very nice.

But yea, I can't imagine what sort of characters you have to deal with on Geek Squad. That must be rough.

AngelGraves13 04-16-11 02:43 PM

It's just SOP.

What did you expect?

mullet 04-16-11 02:46 PM

Madpistol you should have recorded the call, I would love to have listened to it.

nekrosoft13 04-17-11 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2419227)

I personally haven't talked to geek squad employee that actually know what they are doing at least in this area. Coworkers, friends etc.. that deal with geek squad because they bought something at "worst buy" because they had the extended warranty. often after getting their machine back from geek squad call me fix something.

OEM tech support be it dell, kodak, hp etc.. tier 1 is useless. tier 1 knows nothing, they just read a script and depending on the answer follow diffrent flow of questions. usually there is also atleast tier 2 sometimes tier 3. with OEM tier 2 usually is hard to get to.

i recently had to contact motorola, because there is a problem with motorola driver, when driver is installed, autorun for media is disabled. something only a driver development team can fix. what got on my nerves is tier 1 had me answer dozens of stupid questions, after some 30-40 minutes finally i was transfered to tier 2, that didn't pick up.

Redeemed 04-17-11 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2419419)
I personally haven't talked to geek squad employee that actually know what they are doing at least in this area. Coworkers, friends etc.. that deal with geek squad because they bought something at "worst buy" because they had the extended warranty. often after getting their machine back from geek squad call me fix something.

OEM tech support be it dell, kodak, hp etc.. tier 1 is useless. tier 1 knows nothing, they just read a script and depending on the answer follow diffrent flow of questions. usually there is also atleast tier 2 sometimes tier 3. with OEM tier 2 usually is hard to get to.

i recently had to contact motorola, because there is a problem with motorola driver, when driver is installed, autorun for media is disabled. something only a driver development team can fix. what got on my nerves is tier 1 had me answer dozens of stupid questions, after some 30-40 minutes finally i was transfered to tier 2, that didn't pick up.

You're point? So if you came into my store, you'd naturally talk down to me like I'm some ignorant loon reading from a script as well? :lol:

I'm gathering my store is an anomoly for this company, cause many of my coworkers are highly intelligent people, I'd wager every bit as competent as any of us here on these boards. Then again my store, even though it is a smaller one, is usually leading in numbers across the board from sales to customer satisfaction. And sadly, not many stores offer us much competition so I'm counting my self as fortunate.

But I've heard people say the same crap you're saying over and over... just gets old and annoying as hell that people take an experience from one store and suddenly assume the entire company is that way, or that every body in GeekSquad is ignorant regarding computers and has no business servicing them. :lol:

nekrosoft13 04-17-11 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2419429)
You're point? So if you came into my store, you'd naturally talk down to me like I'm some ignorant loon reading from a script as well? :lol:

nope, but what i don't like is waisting time answering stupid questions instead of getting right to the point.

Roadhog 04-17-11 02:10 AM

I always ask for a manager or the highest lvl tech when I call. All the rest make you jump through their hoops.

sillyeagle 04-19-11 07:00 PM

I did OEM support for Gateway back before it was all outsourced, and the worst calls were when you got somebody on the line claiming to be a "network administrator". Those types thought they knew everything, and almost never wanted to do what you told them too despite the fact they really didn't know that much when it came to basic PC support. Some guys would waste ten minutes repeating that they're MCSE and that they already tried everything before they would close their trap and listen to the fix.

PC enthusiasts and other repair techs were fine to work with because they saw you as an equal, but network guys always elevated themselves and talked down.

Half way through my time Gateway they began heavy outsourcing with their push to put a PC in every household, so the internal techs then began spending most of their time cleaning up after the outsourced techs, who seemed to screw more stuff up than they fixed. Gateway also began spending huge amounts of money on a click through troubleshooting flow chart program which would allow them to hire just about anybody who knew how to point and click. When I started at Gateway, which was 12 years ago, you had to pass a technical test to get hired, and then there was six weeks of intense hardware/software training.

bensimon1981 04-09-12 02:29 AM

I am getting problem in my computer it showing blue dead screen nothing ahead, I have run all the antivirus and Trojans test to make it virus free but no help. Someone said that, my hard drive possibly got damage or my RAM ports are unable to send the current. Please clarify the main issue.

IT support st Albans