nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best gaming Memory? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162129)

ChiBChombo 05-02-11 07:59 PM

Best gaming Memory?

Hey all,

So I successfully OC'd my 960 to 4 GHz, and it seems to be stable. It's exactly at 4008 in the Bios, but eVga E-Leet utility shows 3990 (it says 25 x 159.6 instead of 160 like on bios).

Anyways, I'm looking into buying the best 12 GB of Gaming Memory available right now? Any advice on what I should get?

Thanks!

shabby 05-02-11 08:00 PM

Re: Best gaming Memory?

Don't waste your money on fancy low timing memory, not worth it.

bob saget 05-02-11 08:19 PM

The brands I have used are OCZ and Corsair, and stand by them. Mushkin and GSkill are also pretty well known but i have never personally used those brands.

Greedo 05-02-11 08:45 PM

my g skill has been going strong for 2 years now. only time i've ever had an issue with memory was a stick of crucial ballistix back near the dawn of time, in 2007.

Roliath 05-02-11 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedo (Post 2427242)
my g skill has been going strong for 2 years now. only time i've ever had an issue with memory was a stick of crucial ballistix back near the dawn of time, in 2007.

I will never buy anything from crucial due to the issues I had with that ram. Crucial Ballistix, I had sooo many faulty sets.

Moshing 05-02-11 11:10 PM

I'm quite partial to Corsair and Patriot, but have good luck with pretty much all the major brands. I've had OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, Patriot, Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill and not had any complaints about any of them. Some have been easier then others to hit advertised speed and/or timings, but overall, my favorite is usually Corsair.

Truth be told, there really isn't a "best gaming ram". If you can find any difference between two different brands running same speed and same timings, it would be so miniscule as to be within margin of error. There's just "trust worthy" ram and "generic crap". Pick a good brand with good reviews and you generally won't go wrong. It's not like picking a CPU brand.

Pennyboy 05-03-11 12:55 AM

I have had generic and well, it was ok for a year or two but then it died on me. After that experience I have always rocked Corsair memory. I have never had any issues with it at all, well i have had one instance where I had bluescreens after trying to add 2 extra 1 gb sticks to the 2 1gb sticks I had, which is hit or miss whether they would play nice together anyways, it was not down to the RAM being faulty. I think with RAM you buy a quality brand, after that its down to how much money you are willing to invest into the speeds and timings, you pay a premium for a high mhz low timing products but you would struggle to see a 'real' difference when gaming.

Yaboze 05-03-11 09:19 AM

I have had bad luck with Corsair, believe it or not. I run it for 6-12 months and then start getting memory problems out of the blue when nothing changed.

Since then, I have been running GSkill and it's been holding up well.

jcrox 05-03-11 05:36 PM

Maybe others will disagree but from my experience... the most important factor with gaming in regards to memory is to have enough. Speed seems to make little to no difference.

So far GSkill is the only brand that I've used personally or installed in other's computers that I've never had to RMA.

My wife's computer is my old E6600 and it's still got the same GSkill memory in it from day 1.

Moshing 05-03-11 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrox (Post 2427781)
the most important factor with gaming in regards to memory is to have enough. Speed seems to make little to no difference.

This right here. Well said.

Sean_W 05-05-11 01:31 PM

So if most of you guys are saying memory makes no difference, why are you buying expensive ram?

I've never had any issues with Kinston and it's cheap.

Moshing 05-05-11 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 2428792)
So if most of you guys are saying memory makes no difference, why are you buying expensive ram?

I've never had any issues with Kinston and it's cheap.

Who bought expensive ram? My whole 8Gb barely exceeded 100 bucks. There's nothing remotely expensive about ram unless you get silly and buy DDR3 1866 or higher.