nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 8 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162797)

AthlonXP1800 05-24-11 08:38 AM

Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

This is coming from Microsoft CEO Ballmer confirmed Windows 8 will be coming sometime next year in 2012, not January 2013 accorded to rumors.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ballmer-n...-out-next-year

Windows 8 will expect to go public beta in September 2011 and it could take 5 to 6 months until it hit RTM and release to OEMs probably sometime in Spring 2011 then probably launch retail in Summer 2011.

ViN86 05-24-11 09:08 AM

Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

I don't think the hype will be the same as it was for Win7. Currently I don't see any reason to leave Windows 7...

six_storm 05-24-11 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2437040)
I don't think the hype will be the same as it was for Win7. Currently I don't see any reason to leave Windows 7...

But we need Windows 8, then IE10, then IE11, then DX18, then Windows 9!!!!1111eleven :headexplode:

I just don't see the point in creating Windows 8 when MS needs to continue making Windows 7 better. Not saying that Win7 is horrible (it is Windows after all - CAN OF WORMS!) but MS could continue their work and make something good even better. Jussayin.

/getsreadytogetwhippedbywindowsluverz :bleh:

Yaboze 05-24-11 10:43 AM

I really don't feel like shelling out $300 anytime soon for a new version of Windows. :(

ViN86 05-24-11 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaboze (Post 2437102)
I really don't feel like shelling out $300 anytime soon for a new version of Windows. :(

Then don't. Windows 7 updates will undoubtedly be supported for many more years.

Redeemed 05-24-11 11:05 AM

Wow... are you guys serious??? :wtf:

MS biggest mistake was Windows XP- letting it sit for so frikken long and now everybody is spoiled wanting to just sit on their current version of windows indefinitely.

And six storm, how about all the incremental version to OS X you have to go out and buy if you want to be up to date and current? What makes it even worse is if you've a Mac that came with 10.5 or older and does not have an Intel processor guess what? No 10.6 for you! Yup, you have to go out and purchase a whole new mac! People think an extra $150 for the new version of Windows is bad, try dropping $1500 just to go from 10.5 to 10.6 simply because your older mac didn't have an Intel CPU.

Furthermore, Apple releases new OS versions much more frequently than MS releases new Windows versions, and Apple charges for each new OS X version as well.

Sure, it might only be $30 but it's still the hassle of the upgrade process. And if it's $30 every 1 - 2 years, that's about $60 - $90 by the time the new version of Windows is out. Only going from one version of Windows to the next is usually a pretty monumental change. Likely MS could charge less for it.

I absolutely loathe people that insist on bashing one platform or another. Do you realise, Six storm, that just last week we checked in about five Macs in a single day for the Mac Defender Virus? Here's another linky for you about it as well.

I've not once thumped my chest about how epic Windows is or isn't, or how pathetic OS X is or isn't. Because that's dumb, both have their strong points. Just use the rig and quite bitchin'. I don't hear you bitch and whine every new OS X release. Why do it over the Windows releases? If MS didn't release Windows this frequently you'd complain about how they sit on the same OS for so long supporting outdated hardware and technology while Mac OS X was current and supporting all the new technology because it's always getting upgrades... there's no winning for MS! Good God! :lol:

My whole point is that this bias stupidity is just that- stupid. For every flaw somebody "points out" regarding Windows, I could point out a flaw in OS X. Neither is perfect, so stop putting one on a pedastal while belittling the other. Only going to make yourself look foolish in the process.

six_storm 05-24-11 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2437127)

MS biggest mistake was Windows XP- letting it sit for so frikken long and now everybody is spoiled wanting to just sit on their current version of windows indefinitely.

I was pretty happy with Windows XP myself.

Quote:

And six storm, how about all the incremental version to OS X you have to go out and buy if you want to be up to date and current? What makes it even worse is if you've a Mac that came with 10.5 or older and does not have an Intel processor guess what? No 10.6 for you! Yup, you have to go out and purchase a whole new mac! People think an extra $150 for the new version of Windows is bad, try dropping $1500 just to go from 10.5 to 10.6 simply because your older mac didn't have an Intel CPU.
Can't say much about the PowerPC to Intel move, that only happened 5-6 years ago? I don't know of many people who own Macs that still use PowerPC. People will upgrade their hardware because it's old and they don't mind upgrading.

Also, I'm still running 10.6 that came with my Mac. I don't really have any plans on moving up to 10.7 when it comes out next month because there's really nothing to upgrade to. I don't want my MBP to turn into an iPad. :D

Quote:

Furthermore, Apple releases new OS versions much more frequently than MS releases new Windows versions, and Apple charges for each new OS X version as well.

Sure, it might only be $30 but it's still the hassle of the upgrade process. And if it's $30 every 1 - 2 years, that's about $60 - $90 by the time the new version of Windows is out. Only going from one version of Windows to the next is usually a pretty monumental change. Likely MS could charge less for it.
Sure you can spend money if you want to upgrade. No one has a gun to your head. ;)

I just wish that MS would stick with XP or 7 and continue to work on it instead of release, support the problems for a few years and move on. Why not tweak what you have and make that OS even better? I know businesses have to make money but then again they have a reputation to uphold. I would've loved to see Windows XP further tweaked to incorporate better features in the past few years. I would love to see Windows 7 get tweaked to perfection. But if Windows 8 is coming out, that says to me that MS will abandon Win7 and just throw out security fixes, no new features. Does that not disappoint you?

Quote:

I absolutely loathe people that insist on bashing one platform or another. Do you realise, Six storm, that just last week we checked in about five Macs in a single day for the Mac Defender Virus? Here's another linky for you about it as well.
If you are talking about my post above, then I'm just making fun of all the Windows 6, 7, 8, 9 and IE 8, 9, 10, 11 and DX 10, 11, 12, 13 that comes out in about 3 years time. Just making some fun bro, chill! ;)

I've never had a problem getting viruses on any platform so I can't much about this either. :)

Quote:

I've not once thumped my chest about how epic Windows is or isn't, or how pathetic OS X is or isn't. Because that's dumb, both have their strong points. Just use the rig and quite bitchin'. I don't hear you bitch and whine every new OS X release. Why do it over the Windows releases? If MS didn't release Windows this frequently you'd complain about how they sit on the same OS for so long supporting outdated hardware and technology while Mac OS X was current and supporting all the new technology because it's always getting upgrades... there's no winning for MS! Good God! :lol:

My whole point is that this bias stupidity is just that- stupid. For every flaw somebody "points out" regarding Windows, I could point out a flaw in OS X. Neither is perfect, so stop putting one on a pedastal while belittling the other. Only going to make yourself look foolish in the process.
Again, take a chill pill bro. I was just making fun, not disgracing your family name! :p

ViN86 05-24-11 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2437127)

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/anima.../1404342_o.gif

six_storm 05-24-11 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2437143)

:rofl

Great episode.

Bearclaw 05-24-11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2437117)
Then don't. Windows 7 updates will undoubtedly be supported for many more years.

:lol: This is what I'm doing. $300 is a joke for a new OS. I'm never upgrading.

AthlonXP1800 05-24-11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2437040)

I read alot about Windows 8 that it will have many advantages over Windows 7. Currently Windows 7 like Vista cant run on legacy PCs that did not meet system requirement of 1GHz CPU and DirectX 9.0c GPU to run Aero Glass. With Internet browsers on Internet Explorer 9, Chrome 9 and Firefox 4 were done on hardware acceleration GPUs, Microsoft redesign and improve Windows Display Manager and Aero to be done everything on CPUs instead of GPUs so that Windows 8 will able to run on legacy PCs with the same system requirement as Windows XP. Here are millions of old PCs with old Intel IGPs running Windows XP which cant run Aero Glass on Windows Vista and 7 will finally able to do it on Windows 8.

ViN86 05-24-11 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 (Post 2437319)
I read alot about Windows 8 that it will have many advantages over Windows 7. Currently Windows 7 like Vista cant run on legacy PCs that did not meet system requirement of 1GHz CPU and DirectX 9.0c GPU to run Aero Glass. With Internet browsers on Internet Explorer 9, Chrome 9 and Firefox 4 were done on hardware acceleration GPUs, Microsoft redesign and improve Windows Display Manager and Aero to be done everything on CPUs instead of GPUs so that Windows 8 will able to run on legacy PCs with the same system requirement as Windows XP. Here are millions of old PCs with old Intel IGPs running Windows XP which cant run Aero Glass on Windows Vista and 7 will finally able to do it on Windows 8.

Ahh. Thanks for the info Athlon. That's interesting but it's not relevant to most of us here.