nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WD 2TB Black Question (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162810)

technoid 05-24-11 02:00 PM

WD 2TB Black Question

I want to use a WD 2TB Black as my OS drive but I've heard they're noisy and possibly not as reliable as they should be, so is there anyone here using one for a boot drive and have any feedback on noise and reliability?

I guess one question is, what is the noise it makes like? Is it a whir or whine that you can hear when the system is idle? How about seeking noise? I'm using a WD 640 Black now and I like it a lot, but I'd like to have more space since I dual boot and sometimes triple boot. So any feedback would be much appreciated.

lduguay 05-24-11 02:37 PM

Re: WD 2TB Black Question

The reliability is decent, better than Hitachis and some Seagates.

The WD Black 2TB - WD2001FASS noise is 29 dBA idle, 34dbA seeking (slight grinding noise)
Not too loud in a typical rig, unless you want to use it for an HTPC. The Green version is quieter, but generally slightly less reliable and obviously slower

technoid 05-24-11 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay (Post 2437238)
The reliability is decent, better than Hitachis and some Seagates.

The WD Black 2TB - WD2001FASS noise is 29 dBA idle, 34dbA seeking (slight grinding noise)
Not too loud in a typical rig, unless you want to use it for an HTPC. The Green version is quieter, but generally slightly less reliable and obviously slower

Thanks. I have a Samsung HD204UI as a secondary drive and it's very quiet. I've read the specs on the WD 2TB Black but thought I'd get some personal opinions if possible. I've got a very quiet computer and I like it that way, but a little seeking noise might not be that bad to get better performance in a 2TB drive. Do you have any thoughts about the Samsung HD204UI vs the WD TB Black for a boot drive?

Pennyboy 05-24-11 11:44 PM

I don't know about the Samsung HDD but I have a WD Black 2Tb HDD and its quiet.

technoid 06-04-11 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennyboy (Post 2437387)
I don't know about the Samsung HDD but I have a WD Black 2Tb HDD and its quiet.

Thanks... I may pick one up.

nekrosoft13 06-09-11 12:11 PM

My WD Black is used for games, and its the only HDD that I can hear from the case.

Everytime i start steam i can hear WD black seek make noises.

Samsung are my most quiet drives.

Pennyboy 06-09-11 11:18 PM

I can barely hear my WD Black, but i guess I have quite a few fans in my PC (7 in total) 6 of which are 120mm and 1 200mm. If I put my ear up to it, yeah I can hear it. I have always used WD hard drives and never any other brand so I can't compare but I think its quiet enough for me.