nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Irritating whine from FX 5800 in 2D mode (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16309)

chong 08-11-03 01:12 PM

Irritating whine from FX 5800 in 2D mode

Hi all,

I bought a new PNY FX5800 non-ultra (see attached picture) 2 days ago.
The card runs great, but there's an irritating whine from it in 2D mode. It's not exactly loud, but very prominent and audible.
I fire up 3D applications, the fan revs up slightly, and the whine is gone! So it's more quiet in 3D than in 2D!

I have a relatively quiet PC, and this whine is driving me insane!! Is this 2D whine part of every FX5800, or do I have a faulty card?

TIA.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chong81/fx5800.jpg

Update: Post edited to show picture.

jAkUp 08-11-03 03:03 PM

hmmm... is the fan spinning in 2d mode??

Shaitan 08-11-03 03:24 PM

aaaah

shadup... ya whiner!! lolol j/k

chong 08-11-03 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jAkUp
hmmm... is the fan spinning in 2d mode??
Yes it is spinning in 2D mode.

When I run anything 3D, the fan will spin faster, and the whine will disappear.

Ruined 08-11-03 05:17 PM

Unfortunately the annoying whine in 2D is normal for the FX5800 series. There is nothing you can do about it. On the other hand, the FX5900 cards without turbines (i.e. MSI FX5900-TD128) are virtually inaudible over your cpu fan.

chong 08-11-03 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruined
Unfortunately the annoying whine in 2D is normal for the FX5800 series. There is nothing you can do about it. On the other hand, the FX5900 cards without turbines (i.e. MSI FX5900-TD128) are virtually inaudible over your cpu fan.
Any idea what causes this whine?
Coz I've tried stopping the fan with my finger, and in 7 out of 10 tries, the whine will still persist even when the fan is not spinning.

You mean that the newer FX5900s' turbine fans also whine in 2D?

quik_2_win 08-11-03 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruined
...err, that doesn't make any sense as the HSF on his FX5800 is nearly identical to the 5900...
If you have actually stopped the fan with your finger (excellent investigative proceedure there-kudos) and the noise persists, then perhaps you have the (in)famous nV3x 'transistor noise'. Read more about it :HERE

Rampant CL 08-12-03 02:48 AM

I believe it is the 5800 chip operation noise. However, i dont hear it all the time in 2D mode, only sometimes (like 10 mins every 4 hours).

Behemoth 08-12-03 05:24 AM

luckily i have never heard any whine in 2D mode from my inno3d fx5800.

chong 08-12-03 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chong
Any idea what causes this whine?
Coz I've tried stopping the fan with my finger, and in 7 out of 10 tries, the whine will still persist even when the fan is not spinning.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in the text above.

What I did was that I stopped the fan a few times by pressing onto the middle area (put finger a bit off centre, tap and press to stop fan. Release. Tap and press. Release...).

It seems like out of say, 10 times, only in 3 times, the whine will be gone when the fan is stopped.
The other 7 times, the whine will persist even when the fan is not spinning!

So I ponder over the results:
1. Say if the whine is caused by the fan spinning - then the whine should stop, if I stop the fan.
But in 7 times out of 10, the whine persists even with the fan stopped!

2. So it's something else that's causing the whine. But in 3 times out of 10, stopping the fan will eliminate the whine!

So I still cannot conclude what exactly is causing it!

Some more observations:
1. Some downward pressure is needed when stopping the fan, or the whine will not go away at all.

2. Shifting the point where pressure is applied (to stop the fan) will cause the whine to mysteriously appear again, even when the fan is stopped for the entire duration.

I'm going mad and outta ideas already.... :(

chong 08-12-03 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by quik_2_win
then perhaps you have the (in)famous nV3x 'transistor noise'.
Thanks, but I don't think this whine fits into that issue you mentioned.

The 'transistor noise' only occurs during scrolling. The whine will start from bootup(after the 2-3sec initial high-speed fan blast), all the way into Windows.
It will only stop when a 3D application is run, causing the fan to switch to medium speed mode.

Nvidia should have just kept these damn card fans operating at medium speed in 2D - it's virtually noise-free at this speed!

OldOfEvil 08-13-03 04:06 AM

I get an odd high pitch whine/tone on my computer now that I have my 5800 Ultra, it turned out to be the monitor though, clicked it off for a second and it normaly goes away...
________
vaporizer affiliates