nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Recovering Photos From A Bad DVD+R (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163293)

musman 06-08-11 03:37 PM

Recovering Photos From A Bad DVD+R

Hello,

I have some important photos on a DVD+R that is not reading in my computer. When I try to rip, copy, open...ect the disc just freezes up. Any software suggestions? Thank You much!

Hogrider 06-08-11 08:00 PM

Re: Recovering Photos From A Bad DVD+R

Ask Mr. Weiner I heard he was trying to recover some photos, maybe he can help.

grey_1 06-08-11 09:06 PM

Is it the same drive you burned the disc on? Try another pc. If that doesn't work, funny as it sounds, I've seen the local CVS' photo shop pull photos from some pretty old media before.

musman 06-09-11 07:20 AM

No it's a different drive, the one I used is long gone. I will try the PC at work today. That don't supprise me the stuff at CVS works well. Thank you grey_1, your always a good help!

grey_1 06-09-11 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musman (Post 2443355)
No it's a different drive, the one I used is long gone. I will try the PC at work today. That don't supprise me the stuff at CVS works well. Thank you grey_1, your always a good help!

Yw musman - I have tons of photos it would kill us to lose too. hope something works for ya buddy. :)

nekrosoft13 06-09-11 10:11 AM

was it burn on lite-on? some older lite-on burners didn't close out sessions correctly which prevented some other drivers to read them correctly.

tool like ISO buster often can read disc that drive can detect but can't read.

if the disc is warped, slight crack towards the center ring or discoloration on the burn surface (rot) then you might not be able to recover it.

good luck

I keep all my pictures on 4 different HDDs in 4 different locations. my pictures are probably the most important data, so i try to keep them safe.

musman 06-09-11 01:24 PM

Yea this is not good! The PC at work will not read them either.

nekrosoft13, I think it may have been a Lite-on, not 100% sure. I will try ISO Buster, thank you much!

musman 06-09-11 01:51 PM

No luck with ISO Buster. It's my own fault for relying on optical discs only, live and learn.

frenchy2k1 06-09-11 02:51 PM

online backup.
The one solution I would recommend.

Here are a few to get you started:
Mozy, carbonite, backblaze...

musman 06-09-11 03:53 PM

Thank you frenchy2k1!

nekrosoft13 06-09-11 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 (Post 2443558)
online backup.
The one solution I would recommend.

Here are a few to get you started:
Mozy, carbonite, backblaze...

200gb of picture files ;), JPG and RAW files take a lot of space.

plus I would never trust a cloud like service to keep my files secure, you never know in what hands it might end up.

Like i said I have my pictures in four places, on 4 seperate hdds, its unlikelly for all 4 hdds to die at the same time.

nekrosoft13 06-09-11 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musman (Post 2443539)
No luck with ISO Buster. It's my own fault for relying on optical discs only, live and learn.

sometimes you can rely on optical media, but don't use it as your only backup.

Lite-ons are some of the least reliable drives, also Matsu****a (Panasonic) drives that come in OEM systems are crappy as well.