nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Mobile Devices And Smartphones (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Wifi at home question (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163620)

sammy sung 06-18-11 01:20 AM

Wifi at home question

I recently bought myself a Samsung galaxy S2, my first smartphone. The complete newb as i am to both wireless networks and smartphones i'm wondering what i need to do to have a working wifi at home that uses the same line i use for my pc ? I want to download a few games etc to it but they won't dl without a wifi connection and it's a drag trying to find free/open ones. I have a 100/100mbit connection 3 separate ip's an 3 wallsockets so i can use 3 pc's/consoles at the same time without the need for a router.

Need a simple sollution for this, any ideas ?

Airbrushkid 06-18-11 04:04 AM

Re: Wifi at home question

Do you have a wireless router? That's all you need.

sammy sung 06-18-11 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airbrushkid (Post 2446504)
Do you have a wireless router? That's all you need.

Nope, don't have one but i guess i'll have to get one .

Airbrushkid 06-18-11 09:33 AM

Wifi is wireless. And you want to use wifi of the phone then yes you'll need a wireless router.

mullet 06-19-11 09:03 AM

LOL sammy you are a prime candidate for a router.

Hogrider 06-19-11 10:24 AM

Some people still don't have wireless routers in these times? :wtf:

sammy sung 06-20-11 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogrider (Post 2446793)
Some people still don't have wireless routers in these times? :wtf:

Why would you need one without wireless devices at home ? Never had one before that needed internet and now i basicly just want it for the android phone, for apps, games etc. I would never connect my pc through wireless, it's much easier just plugging the tp cable straight into the wall socket for the fibre connection. Can't get the full bandwith over wifi, 65% of the 100mbit available seems to be the limit.

Hogrider 06-20-11 05:32 PM

Some people still don't have wireless devices to connect to a wireless router in these times? :wtf:

We've got an ipad2, ipod touch4g, 2 android phones, printer and pc connected wirelessly
Wired we have a pc, blu ray player, HD DVR and XBOX 360

sammy sung 06-20-11 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogrider (Post 2447222)
Some people still don't have wireless devices to connect to a wireless router in these times? :wtf:

We've got an ipad2, ipod touch4g, 2 android phones, printer and pc connected wirelessly
Wired we have a pc, blu ray player, HD DVR and XBOX 360

I have a wired PC, PS3, 360 and a printer. The galaxy S2 is the first smartphone i've owned and i never felt the need to add a wireless network just to surf the net on the smallass screen on my previous phones.

Hogrider 06-20-11 06:05 PM

I don't like to surf on the phone either. I do like having my Android phone on my wifi network to make wifi calls though.

sammy sung 06-20-11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogrider (Post 2447233)
I don't like to surf on the phone either. I do like having my Android phone on my wifi network to make wifi calls though.

Yea sounds like a good idea that.

mullet 06-20-11 10:14 PM

Sammy how much do you pay for those additional IP addresses? NAT is your best friend.