nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   remote loging via the internet (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163644)

rage10 06-19-11 12:27 AM

remote loging via the internet

Hey everybody,

I have a buisness doing video editing/ promo videos for camps and other places. for this summer Im doing several camps that are not local and i like to set up a server so I can get there files with out driving all they out to them and getting them.

that being said, i have no clue about networking. I set up the computer i would like to use for the server and connected it to the internet. how would I set the computer up so the clients could loging to it via the internet and drag and drop there files onto it. they should be able to loging from any computer and also be able to view preview files i could leave for them. another part of it is that for each orginization there may be more then one user. each user would have the same privilagis and be able to view other users (but not other clients) files.

I understand that I have to make a website for this, and host it on the server. so bacicly, where do i start?

thanks in advance,
-yitz-

t3hl33td4rg0n 06-20-11 01:46 AM

Re: remote loging via the internet

I suppose you could use wikimedia or wordpress to do something like that.

Another (possibly easier) way would be to setup an FTP server where the clients would upload the files, and just use Apache authentication for the clients directories. Then of course you would need a central username/password database to contain the accounts used by the FTP server and Apache. You could accomplish both using a MySQL database or LDAP.

Good luck!

Runningman 06-20-11 02:14 PM

what about gotomy pc or something to that extent? or get a web provider with FTP access and create an account for your client against the FTP server directory that you want to give them access to?

rage10 06-21-11 07:22 PM

ok. thanks for the reponces you two. im starting the google to learn session now.

rage10 06-21-11 07:23 PM

can i do both? FTP and a Web server on one computer?

Q 06-21-11 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage10 (Post 2447795)

Yep. IIS will do both out of the box quite easily. Or you could just run two or more products to meet your needs.

DansFace 06-22-11 07:02 PM

*nevermind*

ViN86 06-23-11 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage10 (Post 2447795)

Don't use Windows. Set up a Linux box. Start with something easy like Ubuntu. Run SSH on the box and create usernames/passwords for each user. Then they can use WinSCP to login and transfer files to the machine (create a directory with permissions for everyone). Then as root you can access all their files.

If you want to get fancy, you could setup up a VPN (e.g. OpenVPN) on your local network, then use Windows sharing to share a drive. Then users could VPN into your network and transfer their files to the windows machine.

rage10 06-23-11 02:29 PM

iis wont start. when i go to enable it in the control panal it gives me an error message that says some components were unalbe to start. nothing in the internet section will start/ bee allowed to be enabled.
@vin, im goinf to try to use windows. if just because i know where everything is and I dont have tome to learn a new OS

ViN86 06-23-11 06:24 PM

Download FileZilla server.

http://filezilla-project.org/

It's a free and easy to setup FTP solution for Windows with a nice GUI.

Bman212121 06-25-11 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage10 (Post 2448604)
iis wont start. when i go to enable it in the control panal it gives me an error message that says some components were unalbe to start. nothing in the internet section will start/ bee allowed to be enabled.
@vin, im goinf to try to use windows. if just because i know where everything is and I dont have tome to learn a new OS

What Operating System?

rage10 06-25-11 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2449458)
What Operating System?

vista ultamate x64 it havent activated it yet if that helps.