nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Nintendo 3DS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163743)

ViN86 06-22-11 12:49 PM

Nintendo 3DS

Honestly, I haven't owned a handheld console since the Sega Game Gear. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it. I am interested in Ocarina of Time 3D and some of the other games look quite good as well. How is the 3D effect? What about the other features?

Is Sony's NGP a better option?

Bearclaw 06-22-11 12:52 PM

Offtopic

Game gear rocks. I still have mine. :lol:

/offtopic

|MaguS| 06-22-11 01:04 PM

Re: Nintendo 3DS

The 3D options for the 3DS are just bad most of the time. It requires you to look at the screen at a specific angle and not move or the 3D effect is ruined. The system lacks any interesting games right now and of course Nintendo is releasing the standard IP you would expect from them.

The NGP is an unknown item still. It will have better graphics and more console like games. How that will translate to a portable is unknown yet. If you are looking to compare them on hardware and capabilities the NGP wins out but on the software front it will depend what interests you.

Uncharted on NGP looked AWESOME.

Ninjaman09 06-22-11 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2448092)
The 3D options for the 3DS are just bad most of the time. It requires you to look at the screen at a specific angle and not move or the 3D effect is ruined.

This! I played a friend's 3DS for a few minutes and the 3D effect is only visible at a very narrow angle and at a very specific distance from your face, requiring you to sit absolutely still and not move your arms. It also gave me bad eye strain after a couple of minutes. While the effect looks decent, it's actually very uncomfortable to use.

Personally I'm waiting for the Vita.

|MaguS| 06-22-11 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 (Post 2448098)
Personally I'm waiting for the Vita.

You mean NGP?

Ninjaman09 06-22-11 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2448102)
You mean NGP?

It's a stupid name, yeah. But we will learn to love it. Or not. Either way I'll probably buy one.

|MaguS| 06-22-11 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 (Post 2448106)
It's a stupid name, yeah. But we will learn to love it. Or not. Either way I'll probably buy one.

I gotta convince the girl to let me get one. Will probably hold off on it at launch though.

tornadog 07-05-11 12:10 PM

Any idea when Nintendo is going to shelve this product and label it as a disaster

Ninja Prime 07-06-11 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tornadog (Post 2452629)
Any idea when Nintendo is going to shelve this product and label it as a disaster

Yeah, selling almost 4 million in 4 months is total failure...

tornadog 07-06-11 10:08 AM

well, what can I say? Reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy"

crainger 07-14-11 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2448083)
Honestly, I haven't owned a handheld console since the Sega Game Gear. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it. I am interested in Ocarina of Time 3D and some of the other games look quite good as well. How is the 3D effect? What about the other features?

Is Sony's NGP a better option?

We've had some hands on time with both at a game conference recently and I honestly say Vita is better if you like playing games, then iOS, then 3DS. Honestly though it's not a very good system when you compare the games for all, not saying much when the Vita isn't even out. There is a genuine buzz for the Vita amongst those who played it. My only concern is battery life having only played with tethered devices.

The 3DS 3D effect, 90% of people we chatted with turned if off, it's too eye straining, plus it relies on keeping the device still and at the right angle, yet the more visual impressive games also have motion controls, forcing you to move the device and the 3d effect.

Myself. I'm finding iOS is the best platform for mobile on the go gaming when downtime wasn't expected, waiting in line, on the train. Anything else when I'm preparing, like a holiday. I go with my lappy.

Moo 07-28-11 10:02 AM

Price drop to $170 on Aug 12.

For people who bought before that date, 20 selected free games.