nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sigh- Bulldozer fail prediction from AMD staff (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163814)

Rollo 06-24-11 07:06 AM

Sigh- Bulldozer fail prediction from AMD staff

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news....aspx?pageid=0

If this is true, it may well be the end of AMD. ATi revenues are insufficient to support their parent company, and how long can they carry on without significant mind or market share?

This is very sad news indeed, I hoped Bulldozer would make them competitive again. I ran AMD for years, even before they were best, just to support competition.

It gets to the point where you become your systems worst enemy with them though:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...0_7.html#sect0

With a 2500 at ~$200, how can a gamer justify any AMD purchase at this point? I purchased two cpus this year- a 990X and a 2500K to replace my i7 860 and Phenom II 965.

AMD had nothing to offer me at the high or low end, and it looks like that will continue for the foreseeable future. :(

Bman212121 06-24-11 07:21 AM

Re: Sigh- Bulldozer fail prediction from AMD staff

Heh... I think BSON took it out of context. Bulldozer might not have performed as well in BAPCo because the benchmark is not weighted correctly. Who cares if you can get 1 trillion points in one benchmark if the benchmark is not relative to anything you would actually do with your pc. Nvidia also said they didn't want anything to do with BAPCo, so it's obviously because their nextgen part must not be any good.... :rolleyes: /sarcasm

grey_1 06-24-11 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2448872)
Heh... I think BSON took it out of context. Bulldozer might not have performed as well in BAPCo because the benchmark is not weighted correctly. Who cares if you can get 1 trillion points in one benchmark if the benchmark is not relative to anything you would actually do with your pc. Nvidia also said they didn't want anything to do with BAPCo, so it's obviously because their nextgen part must not be any good.... :rolleyes: /sarcasm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...ing_BAPCo.html
:)

K007 06-24-11 08:53 AM

lol @ this thread

ViN86 06-24-11 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2448904)
lol @ this thread

+1

AMD isn't going to die even if Bulldozer doesn't beat Sandy Bridge or Sandy Brdige E. AMD will price the chips accordingly and still make money.

Plus they own this little thing called ATI, which is producing $350 HD6970's which are insanely fast in GPGPU computing, hold their own nicely against the $500 GTX 580, and scale very nicely in Crossfire.

Don't forget Llanos which just dropped too, which has great potential for the mobile and mainstream desktop user.

Dazz 06-24-11 10:33 AM

AMD beats in price, you said low end AMD can't compete? A Core i5 2500K is mid to upper end of the scale not low end. I bought a AMD X6 1090T, 880G and 4GB PC12800 for £205 was looking at a Core i5 2500K + P67 + 4GB PC12800 costs £322 thats a pretty big diffrence in price right there. You know what, i won't get 150fps and may have to limp at 80fps in games :rolleyes:

I don't really care anyway i play at 1080p rez a decent video card is more important.

I was going to get bulldozer and this was to tie me over but considering every game i have played is smooth i don't see the need in a faster CPU.

Rollo 06-24-11 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2448909)
+1

AMD isn't going to die even if Bulldozer doesn't beat Sandy Bridge or Sandy Brdige E. AMD will price the chips accordingly and still make money.

Plus they own this little thing called ATI, which is producing $350 HD6970's which are insanely fast in GPGPU computing, hold their own nicely against the $500 GTX 580, and scale very nicely in Crossfire.

Don't forget Llanos which just dropped too, which has great potential for the mobile and mainstream desktop user.

Wanna pass that spleef of AMD wish weed this way?

Quote:

"Bulldozer is going to disappoint people because we did not get the resources to build a great CPU, and it's not that we needed billions of dollars to make it a leader. We needed investment in people, tools and technology."
As every competitive spirit, one of our sources went on to confirm the quote above and expressed concern that "Bulldozer’s client performance is not going to be enough to deliver growth in the enterprise and in my view, that is the biggest driver behind our current strategy."
I barely even noticed the BAPCO stuff in the article, what concerned me is the other things that were said. Synthetic benches have never been high on my list of benchmarks, I usually don't even read them.

Also, I want AMD to succeed. Period. I've been a fan of AMD, and customer, since I purchased my AMD 486 DX4-120MHz. If Bulldozer is good enough it doesn't reduce SLi scaling, I'll probably try them again at some point.

I just don't think AMD can take another failed desktop launch, time will tell.

P.S. As far as ATi goes, you do know they're a much smaller company and their profits aren't enough to keep their owner afloat, right? ATi is doing well now, but I don't see that as enough for AMD. I hope I'm wrong.

nekrosoft13 06-24-11 01:05 PM

After the marketing campaign and was pushing, bulldozer is rather a disapoitment.

Ninja Prime 06-24-11 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2449036)
After the marketing campaign and was pushing, bulldozer is rather a disapoitment.

Umm what? Its not even out? Theres no benchmarks? You don't know anything? How do you get that its a disappointment?

Roadhog 06-24-11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Prime (Post 2449132)
Umm what? Its not even out? Theres no benchmarks? You don't know anything? How do you get that its a disappointment?

fanboys, that's how.

Roliath 06-24-11 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2449029)
Wanna pass that spleef of AMD wish weed this way?

lol
spleef?

seriously
What you are trying to say is "Spliff"

Rollo 06-24-11 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roliath (Post 2449186)
lol
spleef?

seriously
What you are trying to say is "Spliff"

Darn, I'm not up on doper jargon. Won't I be embarassed when I'm hanging out with all the other middle aged professionals and one whips out a baggie, rolls up a doobie, and asks me what my favorite phish song is?