nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Mobile Devices And Smartphones (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Finally time for new phone... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163971)

bob saget 06-29-11 05:59 PM

Finally time for new phone...

So my contract is now expired, and I am really not sure which device to get. If I were to get a smartphone, the primary use would be to call/txt, and also listening to music and browsing teh forumz.
Now there is a deal going on now where I can get the iPhone 3GS for free, but I am not sure if it is worth it, or are there other devices that can play music/you can browse forums better.

Bearclaw 06-29-11 06:36 PM

Re: Finally time for new phone...

iPhone.

Most fluid OS. Best battery life. Tapatalk for forums.

Albo 06-29-11 07:21 PM

iPhone. But honestly, I'd advise you to not go with the 3GS. Go iPhone 4. Or if you want to wait, the iPhone 4S.

six_storm 06-29-11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albo (Post 2450848)
iPhone. But honestly, I'd advise you to not go with the 3GS. Go iPhone 4. Or if you want to wait, the iPhone 4S.

This. I hate to admit it, but iOS beats Android any day IMO. Plus, iPhone is $200 whereas the newer Android phones are $250 and up. No way.

bob saget 06-29-11 08:53 PM

So why iPhone4 over 3GS?

And thanks for the replies fellas.

Bman212121 06-29-11 08:59 PM

Eh... the day you can finally just use your iphone for mass storage and drag and drop files, or wirelessly explore smb shares I might consider it. Till then the phone is quite useless.

At least iphone 5 won't require itunes to sync things to it... but we'll see if you can actually add them on your own. I've seen a dual core android and it is much smoother than a single core. Still think Android needs some polish but it's still better than not being able to use the device how you want to.

I can't wait to see Windows 8 and see if that makes it's way to smart phones. Loved my axim (WM2003) which still seemed more polished than my android phone. (Notes, tasks, audio recorder, full device backups)

not exactly sure what phones you can get Bob... If you already use Itunes than yes I would say an iphone would be okay. If you hate Itunes then you probably don't want it.

Bman212121 06-29-11 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2450869)
So why iPhone4 over 3GS?

And thanks for the replies fellas.

cause it has the wifies.

Duh. W1NN1nG!!!!!11111oneoneoneone

bob saget 06-29-11 09:08 PM

well my music player now is a first gen zune, so i use zune software, but it would be nice to carry one less device with me to school.
gonna call tomorrow about that free 3GS....

Albo 06-29-11 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2450834)
So my contract is now expired, and I am really not sure which device to get. If I were to get a smartphone, the primary use would be to call/txt, and also listening to music and browsing teh forumz.
Now there is a deal going on now where I can get the iPhone 3GS for free, but I am not sure if it is worth it, or are there other devices that can play music/you can browse forums better.

The iPhone is perfect. It has iMessages, SMS, Calling, it has the iPod app (the best music app on any smartphone), and has tapatalk which is used for browsing forumz. You pretty much HAVE to get the iPhone.

That being said, the iPhone 4 has the much better display (Retina), it has 2 cameras, I think the iPhone 4 has better cameras than the last. It has facetime, it has a better CPU thingy (A4 I think) and it will be supported longer than the iPhone 3GS will. The 3GS is pretty much unsupported now, so it would be like getting a 8800 GTX now. Sure it can do the job fairly well, but go big or go home. And think about it, this will be your phone for 2 years is it? Do you really want to start of with a phone that is already ancient?

There's a reason the phone is free. You get what you pay for.

mojoman0 06-29-11 09:30 PM

iPhone 5 september

bob saget 06-29-11 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2450884)
iPhone 5 september

think it will be worth the wait?

Bearclaw 06-29-11 09:54 PM

Getting the iPhone 3GS for free is fantastic. That alone is worth it.

Also, I am running iOS5 on the 3GS now and it runs great. Don't worry about being left behind--yet. Next major update, more than likely.

If you DO get an iPhone and want to beta test iOS5, let me know. I can register your device through my account.