nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=164061)

artem 07-03-11 01:00 PM

[REQUEST] `nvidia-smi -a` could provide more information regardless NVIDIA policy
 
This utility feels shy giving out a lot of information on my 8800GT GPU with 275.09.07 drivers.

Code:

$ nvidia-smi -a

==============NVSMI LOG==============

Timestamp                      : Sun Jul  3 22:42:12 2011

Driver Version                  : 275.09.07

Attached GPUs                  : 1

GPU 0:1:0
    Product Name                : GeForce 8800 GT
    Display Mode                : N/A
    Persistence Mode            : Disabled
    Driver Model
        Current                : N/A
        Pending                : N/A
    Serial Number              : N/A
    GPU UUID                    : N/A
    Inforom Version
        OEM Object              : N/A
        ECC Object              : N/A
        Power Management Object : N/A
    PCI
        Bus                    : 1
        Device                  : 0
        Domain                  : 0
        Device Id              : 61110DE
        Bus Id                  : 0:1:0
    Fan Speed                  : 30 %
    Memory Usage
        Total                  : 511 Mb
        Used                    : 84 Mb
        Free                    : 426 Mb
    Compute Mode                : Default
    Utilization
        Gpu                    : N/A
        Memory                  : N/A
    Ecc Mode
        Current                : N/A
        Pending                : N/A
    ECC Errors
        Volatile
            Single Bit
                Device Memory  : N/A
                Register File  : N/A
                L1 Cache        : N/A
                L2 Cache        : N/A
                Total          : N/A
            Double Bit
                Device Memory  : N/A
                Register File  : N/A
                L1 Cache        : N/A
                L2 Cache        : N/A
                Total          : N/A
        Aggregate
            Single Bit
                Device Memory  : N/A
                Register File  : N/A
                L1 Cache        : N/A
                L2 Cache        : N/A
                Total          : N/A
            Double Bit
                Device Memory  : N/A
                Register File  : N/A
                L1 Cache        : N/A
                L2 Cache        : N/A
                Total          : N/A
    Temperature
        Gpu                    : 53 C
    Power Readings
        Power State            : N/A
        Power Management        : N/A
        Power Draw              : N/A
        Power Limit            : N/A
    Clocks
        Graphics                : N/A
        SM                      : N/A
        Memory                  : N/A

If your GPU is also affected, please, post a message in this thread.

DeiF 07-03-11 01:51 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Running "nvidia-smi" without arguments gives me this (excerpt):
Code:

Supported products:

    Tesla:  S1070, S2050, C1060, C2050/70, M2050/70/90, X2070/90
    Quadro: 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 and M2070-Q
    Other:  All other products are unsupported


artem 07-03-11 03:04 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Hm, if it's true, it's very sad :(

cheechr1 07-04-11 01:24 AM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
nvidia-smi -q used to post GPU usage along with a pile more information. No reason why it could not be made to work again.

Lost Dog 07-04-11 01:30 AM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
As much as I'd like to see this work if you run it without arguments it states it's not supported by most GPU's:

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA System Management Interface -- v2.0

NVSMI provides diagnostic information for Tesla and select Quadro devices.
The data is presented in either plain text or XML format, via stdout or a file.
NVSMI also provides several management operations for changing device state.

Supported products:

Tesla: S1070, S2050, C1060, C2050/70, M2050/70/90, X2070/90
Quadro: 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 and M2070-Q
Other: All other products are unsupported

Dragoran 07-04-11 04:14 AM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Dog (Post 2452200)
As much as I'd like to see this work if you run it without arguments it states it's not supported by most GPU's:

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA System Management Interface -- v2.0

NVSMI provides diagnostic information for Tesla and select Quadro devices.
The data is presented in either plain text or XML format, via stdout or a file.
NVSMI also provides several management operations for changing device state.

Supported products:

Tesla: S1070, S2050, C1060, C2050/70, M2050/70/90, X2070/90
Quadro: 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 and M2070-Q
Other: All other products are unsupported

Which is just an artificial limitation, it used to work in the past until it got "fixed" by restricting it to the advertised gpus.

artem 07-04-11 11:40 AM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoran (Post 2452221)
Which is just an artificial limitation, it used to work in the past until it got "fixed" by restricting it to the advertised gpus.

I cannot even understand why this limitation was introduced. Is it some secret information?

DeiF 07-04-11 12:04 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by artem (Post 2452285)
I cannot even understand why this limitation was introduced. Is it some secret information?

Because they want you to buy the most expensive GPUs. Happens all the time.

artem 07-04-11 01:10 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeiF (Post 2452290)
Because they want you to buy the most expensive GPUs. Happens all the time.

Funnily, you can figure out

1) Graphics, Core, Shader domain clocks and Power Readings by running nvclock utility
2) Memory Utilization = Memory Used / Memory Available * 100%

and

ECC mode and stats are not available on consumer products.


So the only thing NVIDIA hid which is really useful for all of us is GPU utilization.

I'm sorry, but the decision to hide GPU utilization from users did nothing good even from the POV of making us buy professional NVIDIA GPUs (which are just rebranded consumer products without artificially imposed limits).

cheechr1 07-04-11 05:28 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Funnily, you can figure out

1) Graphics, Core, Shader domain clocks and Power Readings by running nvclock utility
2) Memory Utilization = Memory Used / Memory Available * 100%

and

ECC mode and stats are not available on consumer products.


So the only thing NVIDIA hid which is really useful for all of us is GPU utilization.

I'm sorry, but the decision to hide GPU utilization from users did nothing good even from the POV of making us buy professional NVIDIA GPUs (which are just rebranded consumer products without artificially imposed limits).
Now if only the rest of people out there could understand how money hungry corporations like this work the world would be a better place.

johnc 07-06-11 07:13 PM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechr1 (Post 2452387)
Now if only the rest of people out there could understand how money hungry corporations like this work the world would be a better place.

Maybe people should live in cardboard boxes and eat dirt for food?

Or maybe you can at least tell us which employees you think should be laid off due to a "let's not focus on making money" strategy?

DeiF 07-07-11 05:53 AM

Re: [BUG REPORT] `nvidia-smi -a` doesn't work on certain GPUs
 
Well, these type of things make me want to buy ATI instead, so they're doing nothing at the moment to make me want to spend my money on them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.