nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Return to the Castle Wolfenstein and GeForce4 420 Go (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16414)

joaorf 08-13-03 09:36 AM

Return to the Castle Wolfenstein and GeForce4 420 Go

I have a laptop with a GeForce4 420 Go, and SuSE 8.2. I have installed the demo of Return to the Castle Wolfenstein (wolfspdemo-linux-1.1b.x86.run).
After installing, I run the wolfspdemo and I am able to see the first screen and browse through all the options.

But when I try to play the game, right on the loading stage where the image of "Office of Secret Actions" and the message "Please wait..." appears, the program crashes and exits. Apparently, the console messages don't tell anything about what went wrong:
LOADING... - game media done
LOADING... flamechunks
LOADING... clients
LOADING... WolfPlayer
trying fonts/bigFont.TGA...
UI menu load time = 38 milli seconds
Received signal 11, exiting...
Shutdown tty console

I have successfully played this game on other NVidia cards (TNT2, GeForce2 and GeForce4). And I am able to play Unreal Tournment 2003 on this same system.
Does GeForce4 420 Go have any incompatibility with RTCW?
Has anybody been able to play RTCW with this card?

nosleep 12-21-03 03:33 PM

I have the exact same problem you describe. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem. I am currently running an FX go5600.

Wolfman [TWP] 12-21-03 09:23 PM

Re: Return to the Castle Wolfenstein and GeForce4 420 Go

Quote:

Originally posted by joaorf
I have a laptop with a GeForce4 420 Go, and SuSE 8.2. I have installed the demo of Return to the Castle Wolfenstein (wolfspdemo-linux-1.1b.x86.run).
After installing, I run the wolfspdemo and I am able to see the first screen and browse through all the options.

But when I try to play the game, right on the loading stage where the image of "Office of Secret Actions" and the message "Please wait..." appears, the program crashes and exits. Apparently, the console messages don't tell anything about what went wrong:
LOADING... - game media done
LOADING... flamechunks
LOADING... clients
LOADING... WolfPlayer
trying fonts/bigFont.TGA...
UI menu load time = 38 milli seconds
Received signal 11, exiting...
Shutdown tty console

I have successfully played this game on other NVidia cards (TNT2, GeForce2 and GeForce4). And I am able to play Unreal Tournment 2003 on this same system.
Does GeForce4 420 Go have any incompatibility with RTCW?
Has anybody been able to play RTCW with this card?

Have you installed any of the RTCW demo updates??

As they usually fix some problems relating to OpenGL. AS the windows based version uses Directx.

Wolf

floam 12-22-03 01:45 AM

Re: Re: Return to the Castle Wolfenstein and GeForce4 420 Go

Quote:

AS the windows based version uses Directx.
Wrong. RTCW uses the Quake III engine, which does not have a DirectX port. Win32 RTCW is also OpenGL.

nosleep 12-22-03 08:06 PM

Damn! Damn! Damn!!!! I can't figure out what the hell is wrong!!! I have found others on the net that have the same problem as well. I have the latest updates to RTCW. I even recompiled it with the SDK. The game works fine all the way up to the skill level selection. After that I get a screen. It says loading at the bottom. The program exits with a signal 11. I don't think this is a driver problem though. It's probably something very simple. I can't even imagine what it is. I don't believe it is a problem with glibc. I don't think it's a hardware problem either. I also considered wrong permissions somewhere. I checked that's not it. I've wasted to much F***ing time on this :banghead: If anyone can give me a fix I would greatly appreciate it.