nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Star Wars The Old Republic Pre Orders (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=164614)

Maverick123w 07-21-11 09:10 AM

Star Wars The Old Republic Pre Orders

Pre-orders came up today for anyone interested

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

ElL33t 07-21-11 01:22 PM

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Pre Orders

$150 for a video game, isn't that a bit much? It seems like a neat game but that is a silly price. At least with COD you got night vision goggles or a RC car. This you get a disk tin, poster and a music CD.

I might pick this up but I don't know anything a bout MMORPGs.

Ninjaman09 07-22-11 09:03 AM

The $150 is for the collector's edition. The game is $60, which is still very steep for an MMORPG. I know someone in the beta and have not heard very good things about this so I'd caution anyone considering the game to wait a while post-release before buying. My gut is telling me this is going to be a flop.

ElL33t 07-22-11 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 (Post 2458585)
The $150 is for the collector's edition. The game is $60, which is still very steep for an MMORPG. I know someone in the beta and have not heard very good things about this so I'd caution anyone considering the game to wait a while post-release before buying. My gut is telling me this is going to be a flop.

yeah that's what I was talking about, the CE. I wasn't clear about it though. :p

I tend to not listen to what people say on video games. I am a lot easier to please than most people as far as video games go, as such I rarely tell my friends what I think of games or listen to what they think of games.

Mr. Hunt 07-22-11 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 (Post 2458585)

My gut tells me it will do alright. Purely because it is Star Wars. I know Galaxies didn't do well, but that had many issues... this one seems to follow the WoW method, so it will do ok, I think.

Yaboze 07-24-11 10:03 AM

The WoW CE's are about half that, $150 is pretty steep.

Maverick123w 07-24-11 11:59 AM

Ordered the digital deluxe verison... personally can't wait for this game.

Ninjaman09 07-24-11 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElL33t (Post 2458645)
I tend to not listen to what people say on video games. I am a lot easier to please than most people as far as video games go, as such I rarely tell my friends what I think of games or listen to what they think of games.

Fair enough, but personally I find most of the time if a game is not really up to par it's reception reflects that. I'd hate to invest the time and money an MMORPG requires and find myself with buyer's remorse, forcing myself to make excuses for the shortcomings and hoping it'll get better with time.

You mentioned that you hadn't played an MMORPG before, so I can tell you that in the current market World of Warcraft is light years ahead of any of the competition, and I just can't see this changing. Every "WoW-killer" that has been released since 2004 has either died off or gone free-to-play. I guess Rift would be an exception to this rule, but it's really just a WoW clone with a few features inspired by other failed MMORPGs. Many of WoW's long-time player base has become disgruntled or bored with the game since the last two expansions, and Rift offers gameplay closer to "classic" WoW.

Old Republic actually makes some drastic changes to the MMORPG formula and comparing it to WoW is frankly ridiculous. It's far more solo-play and story-driven, and it is not clear how its endgame will function (which is by far the most important part of an MMORPG for a long-term subscriber). WoW's endgame consists of either competitive PvP or raiding (or both) and you derive enjoyment from group activities such as completing difficult raid encounters or getting a high ranking in the Arena ladder. Solo play at endgame is crushingly boring and if you don't have a group of friends to play with, you will want to uninstall or create new characters.

I'm not saying the game is doomed to failure, just to approach it cautiously and definitely don't drop $150 on a game that may not make it past its first year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
My gut tells me it will do alright. Purely because it is Star Wars. I know Galaxies didn't do well, but that had many issues... this one seems to follow the WoW method, so it will do ok, I think.

The name recognition will earn it a strong following at release, no doubt about that. What really matters is whether Bioware can deliver strong content updates and a compelling game experience for not only leveling but endgame as well. Not many MMORPGs have been able to do this. It's no fun to hit max level in a game like this and have nothing to do because the developers spent so much time and effort on extraneous things like fully-voiced NPCs and ingame cutscenes.

Yaboze 07-25-11 11:35 AM

I'm a MMO freak, love Star Wars and played Star Wars Galaxies until WoW came out, then they ruined SWG in 2005 with the "New Game Experience (NGE)", but that's another story.

With that said, even I am apprehensive about dropping $150 for a CE of this game. If you never played a MMO, it's almost crazy to do so.

ElL33t 07-25-11 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 (Post 2459335)
Fair enough, but personally I find most of the time if a game is not really up to par it's reception reflects that. I'd hate to invest the time and money an MMORPG requires and find myself with buyer's remorse, forcing myself to make excuses for the shortcomings and hoping it'll get better with time.

You mentioned that you hadn't played an MMORPG before, so I can tell you that in the current market World of Warcraft is light years ahead of any of the competition, and I just can't see this changing. Every "WoW-killer" that has been released since 2004 has either died off or gone free-to-play. I guess Rift would be an exception to this rule, but it's really just a WoW clone with a few features inspired by other failed MMORPGs. Many of WoW's long-time player base has become disgruntled or bored with the game since the last two expansions, and Rift offers gameplay closer to "classic" WoW.

Old Republic actually makes some drastic changes to the MMORPG formula and comparing it to WoW is frankly ridiculous. It's far more solo-play and story-driven, and it is not clear how its endgame will function (which is by far the most important part of an MMORPG for a long-term subscriber). WoW's endgame consists of either competitive PvP or raiding (or both) and you derive enjoyment from group activities such as completing difficult raid encounters or getting a high ranking in the Arena ladder. Solo play at endgame is crushingly boring and if you don't have a group of friends to play with, you will want to uninstall or create new characters.

I'm not saying the game is doomed to failure, just to approach it cautiously and definitely don't drop $150 on a game that may not make it past its first year.

The name recognition will earn it a strong following at release, no doubt about that. What really matters is whether Bioware can deliver strong content updates and a compelling game experience for not only leveling but endgame as well. Not many MMORPGs have been able to do this. It's no fun to hit max level in a game like this and have nothing to do because the developers spent so much time and effort on extraneous things like fully-voiced NPCs and ingame cutscenes.

I hear ya and thanks for the input. I understand that the first month is free. I guess if you play it for a month and quit then you will get your moneys worth. Most games do not hold your attention for more than a week and we pay $60 for them. Just think of the game as an RPG and you should be happy if you play it for a few weeks then drop it. Shoot I played Bioshock and Bioshock2 with a total of 8 hours for both. I'd say a month of game play is pretty good. Still, I get your point. Like I said, I'm easy to please. I had cream of tuna on toast (SOS) last night and loved it. :D

Maverick123w 07-25-11 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaboze (Post 2459760)
I'm a MMO freak, love Star Wars and played Star Wars Galaxies until WoW came out, then they ruined SWG in 2005 with the "New Game Experience (NGE)", but that's another story.

With that said, even I am apprehensive about dropping $150 for a CE of this game. If you never played a MMO, it's almost crazy to do so.

Then don't buy the CE..... I don't get why everyone is up in arms about this. It's not like it's the only option available to you.

Yaboze 07-25-11 01:33 PM

I'm not, lol. I'm just saying for someone who's never played a MMO, to drop 150 on a game they haven't played is crazy.

True, it's not the only option, but I have never seen a CE for a game that high.