nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   my perfect mb (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=164676)

wheeljack12 07-24-11 05:13 PM

my perfect mb

1.either a socket 1366 or 1155 intel
2. has 7 pci-e 16x/8x slots (would need two nf200 chips for it to run, hence the choice of intel because amd is not being supported by nvidia's nf200)
3. Onboard creative xfi audio (like the gigabyte g1.killer series)
4. onboard either intel or bigfoot networks killer e2100 nic
5. usb 3.0
6. native sata 3.0 (that doesn't have a bandwidth bottleneck)

Roadhog 07-24-11 06:27 PM

Re: my perfect mb

1. 2011 socket
2. 8 pcie16x slots
3. none of the other stupid onboard bull****

bob saget 07-24-11 08:49 PM

still waiting for a model they can suture directly to my skull...

trivium nate 07-24-11 09:05 PM

lol bob,
anyways i like that SR2 from EVGA

frenchy2k1 07-25-11 12:51 PM

@wheeljack: why do you need 7 PCIe ports if you already have most of your peripherals integrated (SATA3, USB3, sound and NIC). What would you plug on those anyway?

wheeljack12 07-25-11 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 (Post 2459796)
@wheeljack: why do you need 7 PCIe ports if you already have most of your peripherals integrated (SATA3, USB3, sound and NIC). What would you plug on those anyway?

well, I would use a hardware raid controller for sata 3 unless intel presents a hardware solution for x79. so, that's 5 ports. 4 for gpu's, one for raid controller. Does anyone own a g1.assassin or sniper mb. I would be curious how the creative audio sounds on them. BTW, EATX and XL-ATX are the future so why not 7 ports?

XDanger 09-01-11 04:02 PM

If I were to design a motherboard from scratch it would have a separate motherboard for graphics cards.
So either back to back with the CPU board or in a stacking system.

Does the connectivity technology exist at present for a system such as this?

nekrosoft13 09-02-11 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger (Post 2474840)
If I were to design a motherboard from scratch it would have a separate motherboard for graphics cards.
So either back to back with the CPU board or in a stacking system.

Does the connectivity technology exist at present for a system such as this?

it might be possible, but that would involve entire brand new standard. and board would have almost no support.

XDanger 09-02-11 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2475065)
it might be possible, but that would involve entire brand new standard. and board would have almost no support.

Maybe just parallel ATX compatible motherboards would do instead, If you want 2 you can have em and it runs twice as fast as one kind of thing with some new kind of link between em.

shadow001 09-04-11 10:44 AM

Actually, the standard does exist in that the PCI-e signals can be routed thru a flexible cable rather than requiring a physical connector soldered directly on the motherboard, but this applies only up to PCI-e 2.0 for the time being and is used in render farms for companies that produce 3D content for movies and TV shows or commercials..

To be honest, with the way power consumption keeps going up as video cards get much faster and feature packed as time goes on, especially for the high end models and assuming multi-GPU configurations, i wouldn't be too surprised if a new market pops up entirely with seperate enclosures with their own power supply where the video cards are housed in all by themselves, while connected to the main PC thru the above mentioned flexible cable, only this time for PCI-e 3.0.....

I mean i'm using 3 GTX 580's together, and i wouldn't be a bit surprised that when really loaded hard, they're probably not far off pulling 1000 watts of power combined on their own, so that can be a lot of heat getting released inside the PC case itself, and most want a silent PC when using it, so developing an external enclosure like the idea above and even integrating it into the house's A/C circuit(i kid you not), is extreme for sure, but you'll get powerfull performance and silence along with the overall system not releasing huge amounts of heat into the room, as it's evacuated by the A/C outside thru the condenser....

XDanger 09-04-11 01:52 PM

my perfect system would have these separates

Audio Tuner
Storage/BD unit
CPU unit
Graphics unit
Power/UPS unit

The storage unit would also be accessible as a stand-alone BD/PVR hub