nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New AMD upgrade....very pleased (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=165718)

kaptkarl 08-30-11 09:35 PM

New AMD upgrade....very pleased

I just upgraded my gaming rig. New Gigabyte AMD based 990 chipset w/ DDR3, Xfire or SLI support, AM3+ motherboard. Installed 16GB G. Skill high performance DDR3 memory. New Phenom II X4 965BE cpu. All I can say is wow. I kept my "old" 5870 as it still kicks some major ass. This thing flies.....I'm really pleased with the performance. And this Gigabyte board is amazing. Great BIOS setup. I'm lovin' it!:D

Kapt

mullet 08-30-11 11:29 PM

Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

congratulations dude!!

bob saget 08-31-11 03:19 AM

sounds terrific. pics?

PaiN 08-31-11 08:16 AM

It time for me to upgrade my base system(CPU/mobo/RAM).....
I've only been looking at some possible Intel rigs....guess I'll have to look into an AMD now ..thx ;)

grey_1 08-31-11 08:44 AM

I had the 955BE and yeah, those chips are fantastic value. Congrats on the upgrade. :)

scout2of3 08-31-11 01:20 PM

Congrats on the upgrade. I am looking for a less expensive upgrade myself, either the X4 965 BE or an X6 AMD. If anyone can comment on which AMD processor to get it would help me out tremendously. My Core 2 Duo is getting walloped at times with current games and I am not much of an OC'er.

grey_1 08-31-11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scout2of3 (Post 2474225)
Congrats on the upgrade. I am looking for a less expensive upgrade myself, either the X4 965 BE or an X6 AMD. If anyone can comment on which AMD processor to get it would help me out tremendously. My Core 2 Duo is getting walloped at times with current games and I am not much of an OC'er.

I'm running an E8400 at the moment :lol:

If your rig is primarily used for gaming grab the 955BE or 965BE. Good value And very nice performance in games. Anything else that's heavily multi-threaded you can almost price match an i5 rig and would probably have better performance at this point than a hex-a-core AMD chip. You still wouldn't be disappointed by the hex-a-core though.

Good times to be a gamer or enthusiast period, lots of good deals it would be hard to go wrong with.

All depends on your personal requirements.

scout2of3 08-31-11 02:41 PM

Thanks grey for your help. I have picked out three components (CPU, Motherboard, and RAM) for my upgrade and I should be able to upgrade within a month. Again, thank you for your help as I haven't been up-to-date with AMD products for awhile.

grey_1 08-31-11 03:16 PM

You're welcome! Like I said above I had a 955BE at stock speeds, then at 3.6 for a while. It wasn't really "faster" than the E8400 I'm using now, but the overall experience was much smoother, especially in cpu intensive apps and games.

I think you'll like it. :)

EDIT: Just a thought though, I believe AMD is scheduled to launch their new line up sometime in September, including some new quad cores I think. Might be worth it to wait that month you mentioned before deciding. :)

Shamrock 08-31-11 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2474118)
I had the 955BE and yeah, those chips are fantastic value. Congrats on the upgrade. :)

I'm still using mine with a GeForce 260, for gaming!

grey_1 09-01-11 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 2474468)
I'm still using mine with a GeForce 260, for gaming!

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold mine. :o

bob saget 09-03-11 11:15 AM

Friend got a 965 Black for $130-$140, taxes included. What amazing value. Sorry for thread jack, but can you guys recommend some RAM. He already has 2 slots filled with 4 gigs total, but he said he might need more.