nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Best brand for LED LCD TV (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166384)

ArrowMk84 09-16-11 10:46 PM

Best brand for LED LCD TV

What's the best brand for LED LCD TVs now-a-days? I've got a 4 year old Samsung 46" LCD I'm looking to replace, since it's developing dead pixels, and after walking through the local Best Buy, and I was no impressed with what i saw from Sony and Samsung in the sub-$2000 price range (I'd love to keep the price under $1000). I saw a Sharp Aquos that was beautiful, but I've had one of those give me trouble before, too (thankfully before the return policy ran out). The information I've seen on Vizio's looks impressive, but I keep getting the feeling their specs and prices are too good to be true.

Johnny C 09-17-11 05:29 PM

Re: Best brand for LED LCD TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 (Post 2480703)
What's the best brand for LED LCD TVs now-a-days? I've got a 4 year old Samsung 46" LCD I'm looking to replace, since it's developing dead pixels, and after walking through the local Best Buy, and I was no impressed with what i saw from Sony and Samsung in the sub-$2000 price range (I'd love to keep the price under $1000). I saw a Sharp Aquos that was beautiful, but I've had one of those give me trouble before, too (thankfully before the return policy ran out). The information I've seen on Vizio's looks impressive, but I keep getting the feeling their specs and prices are too good to be true.

My 46" LG LED TV plays movie files directly from my portable disk is networkable and it cost 1000 bucks @ walmart(canadian taxes in). It'd be cheaper in the states since Canadians get ****ed..even though our currency is worth more.

Bigbuck 09-17-11 05:53 PM

I got a 42'' Vizio from Walmart on the Thanksgiving sale for $400. 1080p and works just fine with my Blu-Ray player. Paying near $1k for a TV just doesn't make sense to me.

Hogrider 09-17-11 08:45 PM

I have to say this 32" LED 1080P 120HZ Vizio we got for the bedroom has a beautiful picture and I love their tv apps. It was a little more at $489 because it was one of their top of the line models and included the tv apps but it was well worth it in my opinion.

Rakeesh 09-17-11 10:02 PM

Samsung is so far the only brand I can find recently that reproduces colors accurately enough to work as a PC monitor, believe me I tried several before landing on this one.

nicorulez 12-16-11 07:42 AM

The best of the best in large screen LEDs and televisions period is the Sharp Elite brand...prohibitively expensive. In your size range, I would go with Sony or Samsung and be very happy. Enjoy. Merry Christmas.

jeffmd 12-18-11 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbuck (Post 2480894)
I got a 42'' Vizio from Walmart on the Thanksgiving sale for $400. 1080p and works just fine with my Blu-Ray player. Paying near $1k for a TV just doesn't make sense to me.

This is pretty much because you use your tv to do one thing, play blu-rays.

More expensive monitors can generally yield a better view field, 3d support, a thinner tv, and improved support for becoming a digital monitor. When using an HD tv as a pc monitor, the more control you have over the tv settings, and the ability to turn off any and all "filters" designed to improve tv viewing quality, the best chance you have at getting a descent PC monitor out of the deal.

bob saget 12-24-11 06:32 PM

hockey, tennis, and football look great on our 40inch sony in HD.

Rakeesh 12-26-11 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2514031)
hockey, tennis, and football look great on our 40inch sony in HD.

This may be true but only gay people play tennis.

crainger 04-18-12 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakeesh (Post 2480927)
Samsung is so far the only brand I can find recently that reproduces colors accurately enough to work as a PC monitor, believe me I tried several before landing on this one.

::wonder::

We looked at a heap of TVs when buying not too long ago. We were always impressed with the Sammysungs. Ended up going Plasma however for the size and it's purpose was primarily evening movies.

EDIT: Fing Bots!

Still ::wonder:: @ Rakeesh.

Hogrider 04-18-12 07:18 AM

Yea it's amazing if you think back on how Samsung was some cheap ass brand not too long ago and now look at them. It's kind of like how Bob was some cheap ass 2 bit sleaze years ago and now he's top of the line.

Rakeesh 04-20-12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogrider (Post 2547006)
Yea it's amazing if you think back on how Samsung was some cheap ass brand not too long ago and now look at them. It's kind of like how Bob was some cheap ass 2 bit sleaze years ago and now he's top of the line.

You pay big bucks for his services I imagine.