nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The best, free cpu benchmark (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166439)

grey_1 09-19-11 08:01 AM

The best, free cpu benchmark

I want to see what I can squeeze out of a Q6600 G0 that Redeemed sent me (thanks bro :)) and I'd like to isolate cpu performance as much as possible.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Wrong forum_dang it :lol:

Could a mod move this to benchmarking please? Thanks

Redeemed 09-19-11 11:38 AM

Re: The best, free cpu benchmark

YES! :D

Never did OC that CPU so I'm *very* curious what you'll get out of it. I'm hoping at leat 3.6Ghz. :D

Man, it's been so long since I did any OC'ing I'm not sure what's a good program now or not. You'll likely want it to tax all four cores, and it'd be better if it were x64 I suppose...

Hmm... gonna' watch this thread as I'm very curious in your results. :) Oh- and you're absolutely welcome my friend. :)

newparad1gm 09-19-11 01:11 PM

I'd just go with Prime95 and IntelBurnTest for stability, and maybe OCCT as well. IntelBurnTest also times their tests so you can use that as a benchmark, as well as SuperPi.

grey_1 09-19-11 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newparad1gm (Post 2481391)
I'd just go with Prime95 and IntelBurnTest for stability, and maybe OCCT as well. IntelBurnTest also times their tests so you can use that as a benchmark, as well as SuperPi.

That's what I'll use then, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2481342)
YES! :D

Never did OC that CPU so I'm *very* curious what you'll get out of it. I'm hoping at leat 3.6Ghz. :D

Man, it's been so long since I did any OC'ing I'm not sure what's a good program now or not. You'll likely want it to tax all four cores, and it'd be better if it were x64 I suppose...

Hmm... gonna' watch this thread as I'm very curious in your results. :) Oh- and you're absolutely welcome my friend. :)

I'm shooting for 3.4 for every day use. I took the liberty of acquiring a P45 Gigabyte mobo and some DDR31600 - should be "interesting." :lol:

Redeemed 09-19-11 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2481422)
That's what I'll use then, thanks.

I'm shooting for 3.4 for every day use. I took the liberty of acquiring a P45 Gigabyte mobo and some DDR31600 - should be "interesting." :lol:

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

That should OC quite nicely then. I'm honestly thinking 3.4 should be fairly easy. :)

Johnny C 09-19-11 09:43 PM

Intel Burn test....you don't need any of the other stuff. I've had my o/c pass both prime and occt and still fail Intel Burn Test, plus it's way way quicker than either of the other two. I run it on standard while initially finding settings, then maximum to test stability for daily use.

It also generates 2-3'C more max temp than any other test I've tried.

:cheers:

grey_1 09-20-11 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny C (Post 2481560)
Intel Burn test....you don't need any of the other stuff. I've had my o/c pass both prime and occt and still fail Intel Burn Test, plus it's way way quicker than either of the other two. I run it on standard while initially finding settings, then maximum to test stability for daily use.

It also generates 2-3'C more max temp than any other test I've tried.

:cheers:

Thanks Johnny C - Yep, I'll be using that for stability testing. I'm mainly interested in seeing where the point of diminishing returns is with this proc, and call it a day there. My E8400 really didn't show much performance wise once I hit 3.8 or more with it, so i'm kind of expecting to see the same here principle at play with this one.

I'm just interested in squeezing performance out of it mainly. Once I hit that point where more Mghz doesn't add much I'll back it off a bit and use that.

Johnny C 09-21-11 06:25 PM

It's good for measuring performance as well. I get more gflops @ 3.9 with a 2800nb than I do @ 4.0 with a 2200nb. I like intel burn test. I got tired of all the waiting with occt and prime/orthos. Superpi doesn't stress anything enough to be useful

grey_1 09-22-11 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny C (Post 2482342)
It's good for measuring performance as well. I get more gflops @ 3.9 with a 2800nb than I do @ 4.0 with a 2200nb. I like intel burn test. I got tired of all the waiting with occt and prime/orthos. Superpi doesn't stress anything enough to be useful

Good info, I didn't know that. I'll do some testing with it this weekend when I have time. Right now I just have it at 315x9, but I haven't stress tested yet. Looking forward to it now I know it does that.