nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166458)

Rakeesh 09-19-11 04:52 PM

Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Basically as a regular user, you aren't allowed to install metro apps unless they've specifically been approved by microsoft, and you have downloaded them through the windows app store.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news...metro-apps.ars

Personally I don't like metro anyways, not being able to have overlapping windows, and a boxy UI, makes me think of windows 1.0. But now this? Screw that, just bring back the old start menu for everybody else.

mojoman0 09-19-11 05:42 PM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
No surprise here, it'll be the same as the apple app store and other mobile stores. This way they can set the bar for low quality apps to be blocked.

ViN86 09-19-11 06:36 PM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Ugh, the last thing I wanted them to do was adopt the Mac store model...

nekrosoft13 09-19-11 07:02 PM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
metro is just pathetic. there is nothing good i can say about it.

Windows ME R2 here we come!

mullet 09-19-11 10:21 PM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Great Lucas screwed up the Star Wars Blu Ray release with more added dumb ass scenes. Now Microsoft has to **** up a great menu system with this crap. Why do companies have to always tinker with stuff and mess it up. Whats next netflix messes up there stock value?

Sean_W 09-20-11 06:46 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
They get it right with Windows 7 and then screw it all up with Windows 8.

six_storm 09-20-11 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 2481661)
They get it right with Windows 7 and then screw it all up with Windows 8.

I say as long as Win8 has better performance and a way to completely disable Metro, I'll gladly upgrade. From what MS has said so far and from what I've read, I don't see this being a problem. But on the other hand, MS does have the possibility to screw it all up.

Sean_W 09-20-11 09:06 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
You'll probably have to disable Metro manually and have the start menu back but also the ribbon in explorer really sucks and looks horrid. It looks like some sort of power user UI, looks good in Office but just sucks for a file manager.

Q 09-20-11 09:43 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
This is a great idea. This essentially creates a white list of applications for the average user and should make the operating system FAR more robust for the average user.

No one here will be effected by this. Well I take that back, we'll have less family technical support calls from broken ass Windows installs. All of us here will either be running as a user who can elevate privileges or, more likely, with the standard interface instead of Metro.

Rakeesh 09-20-11 09:59 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2481676)
I say as long as Win8 has better performance and a way to completely disable Metro, I'll gladly upgrade. From what MS has said so far and from what I've read, I don't see this being a problem. But on the other hand, MS does have the possibility to screw it all up.

You can disable metro, but that comes at a price: When future apps come out that you might need, and are metro only, you are going to have to play this toggle and restart game. If it weren't for that, e.g. if say the new version of office was available for classic desktop, that would be fine, but something tells me it won't be.

nekrosoft13 09-20-11 11:07 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakeesh (Post 2481734)
You can disable metro, but that comes at a price: When future apps come out that you might need, and are metro only, you are going to have to play this toggle and restart game. If it weren't for that, e.g. if say the new version of office was available for classic desktop, that would be fine, but something tells me it won't be.

there is a rumor that next office will be metro, so another clue that MS wants to force everyone to use the inferior UI, to boost their pathetic mobile phone OS.

Sean_W 09-20-11 11:21 AM

Re: Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2481749)
there is a rumor that next office will be metro, so another clue that MS wants to force everyone to use the inferior UI, to boost their pathetic mobile phone OS.

Indeed, that's probably part of the whole agenda.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.