nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Display goes blank for a second and then resumes when an App requires OpenGL or VDPAU (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166967)

tecknurd 10-02-11 04:46 AM

Display goes blank for a second and then resumes when an App requires OpenGL or VDPAU

1 Attachment(s)
When I use OpenGL or VDPAU as the video output device in MPlayer, the screen goes blank for a second and resumes what it is doing to playback a video file. This happens any time and with any video file, so it is repeatable. When I am using XVideo as the video output device in MPlayer, the screen does not flicker for a second and resumes what it is doing. This does not just happen in MPlayer, it happens when an application requires OpenGL or VDPAU for graphics. This did not happen in previous versions of nVidia's proprietary module which was several versions ago. Now I am getting annoyed that this is not fix after a few module upgrades later. Also I tried a few distributions and they have the same problems.

The setup is as follows:

Dell Inspiron 1520
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
2 GiB DDR2-667
GeForce8 8400M GS
Linux Mint

The following is after running "/usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh":
Attachment 43254

I did not yet use "startx -- -logverbose 6".

sandipt 10-03-11 08:48 AM

Re: Display goes blank for a second and then resumes when an App requires OpenGL or V

Please provide reproduction steps in detail and mplayer options you passed ?

Licaon 10-03-11 08:51 AM

Re: Display goes blank for a second and then resumes when an App requires OpenGL or V

tried the latest 275.28 driver too?

tried without Compiz too?

also your log recommends something:
Quote:

[ 2.691126] [Firmware Bug]: Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the same VGA controller, please try module parameter "video.allow_duplicates=1"if the current driver doesn't work.
did you try this too?

tecknurd 10-05-11 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandipt (Post 2486903)
Please provide reproduction steps in detail and mplayer options you passed ?

The following is my /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

Attachment 43271

The steps that I use are the following using Xfce as desktop manager/window manager and downloaded Buck Bunny 720p as example video to $HOME/Downloads.

1) Right click on desktop
2) hover over Applications
3) Click on Terminal Emulator (gnome-terminal is set as default or preferred application)
4) cd $HOME/Downloads
5) ls

big_buck_bunny_720p_surround.avi

6) type mplayer -vo gl big_buck_bunny_720p_surround.avi

I am using MPlayer version 1.0rc4-4.5.2.

Do note that it does not just happen in MPlayer. It happens in other applications as well when OpenGL is used. This includes WINE, glxgears, blender, etc. Though I did notice that using msglevel 9 or specifying MPLAYER_VERBOSE=9 while on the same line of running MPlayer for one time that the screen did not go blank a second.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licaon (Post 2486904)
tried the latest 275.28 driver too?

tried without Compiz too?

I do not have the luxury to use the latest drivers which are 285.xx.xx and including 275.28.xx. It is not in the program database.

In my logs it does state that the Composite extension is disabled, so Compiz will not run. I added a line to xorg.conf to disable that extension. Yes I have Compiz disabled by selecting Metacity or xfwm under Window Decoration in Compiz Fusion Icon which runs in the system tray. I always disable Compiz as the first thing when I am trying distributions that use it.

tecknurd 10-07-11 04:30 AM

Anything?

BTW, **BUMP**

tecknurd 10-28-11 06:51 PM

I recently upgraded the nVidia module to version 285.05.09. It did not help at all. It made VDPAU worst and flickering to blank screen is still there. When I said flickering, I mean when I run xscreensaver GUI or use WINE, it flickers from blank screen to graphics. It gets very, very annoying.

Licaon 10-28-11 06:55 PM

what about 290.03?

tecknurd 10-28-11 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licaon (Post 2495871)
what about 290.03?

Not in the package manager. Also it is not list at nVidia's site. I use Linux for production and not for beta crap.

No offense, you are not helping.

I will just go backwards in versions until a version that actually works.

Licaon 10-29-11 03:01 AM

yeah ok, but it helps you if you can test and report to nVidia that this is not fixed in the newer driver either
the waiting does not solve problems by itself, but as you wish