nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ubuntu 11.10 drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167906)

Zapablast05 10-27-11 09:20 PM

Ubuntu 11.10 drivers

I never thought I'd ever use Linux but I gave it a try on my old laptop. I'm running the latest Ubuntu 64 bit version on an HP dv4-1225dx and everything is golden except for one thing; the mic isn't working at all. I already checked the mute settings and anything that's a simple fix. I've googled for hours on end since this morning, and I still can't find anything that will work in the terminal or in a download. Can anybody give me some help with this? I'm really trying to get the mic to work since I'm giving this laptop to my gf while I deploy so we can Skype together. Please help me, I'm still on the Linux learning curve and slowly getting it. I have until Monday to get this fixed :/.

Zapablast05 10-28-11 12:02 AM

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 drivers

23 views and no clue? Can anyone please give me any insight? Help me nvnews, you're my only hope.

Q 10-28-11 07:46 AM

Can you try loading off a live distro for 11.04 and 11.10? That would be a quick way to see if there was a difference between the distros. I don't have a ton of experience with Linux Audio (outside of crying over my Creative cards years ago), but we'll see what we can do for you.

Zapablast05 10-28-11 11:19 AM

I'll have to get an 11.04 distro. I've read a lot of posts of people having the same problem in 11.04 where their built in mic won't work on the same laptop. Then they post about some dell-m4-1 fix worked for them, but they don't explain how it works. I've read about people doing things with PULSEAUDIO and ALSA drivers, but they don't explain anything at all, they just post that they fixed it.

This is where I found the closest to fixing my issue, but the person doesn't really explain to where I can understand it. Link

grey_1 10-28-11 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapablast05 (Post 2495702)
I'll have to get an 11.04 distro. I've read a lot of posts of people having the same problem in 11.04 where their built in mic won't work on the same laptop. Then they post about some dell-m4-1 fix worked for them, but they don't explain how it works. I've read about people doing things with PULSEAUDIO and ALSA drivers, but they don't explain anything at all, they just post that they fixed it.

This is where I found the closest to fixing my issue, but the person doesn't really explain to where I can understand it. Link

Hey Zapa -

Open a terminal and do these. FYI - I don't remember if the "install" command is required before the "--reinstall". It's been a while. :o

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ALSA

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pulseaudio

Then:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

This will open that file in gedit (kind of like notepad, but better) for you. Add the line at the bottom, save and close.

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1

Lastly, in the terminal again he used what you see, enter each line followed by enter,.

killall pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
pulseaudio -D

Now cross fingers <-very important :lol:

Zapablast05 10-28-11 04:21 PM

I type sudo-aptget update in the terminal and after all the downloading, I get

W: failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audi...source/Sources 404 Not Found

W: failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audi...md64/Packages/ 404 Not Found

W: failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audi...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Should I do something else or keep going in terminal?

Okay, I went on ahead and continued with the commands in Terminal and when I entered pulse audio -D, get:

E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

grey_1 10-28-11 04:46 PM

Do you have synaptic package manager installed? It's much easier to find what you're looking for.

Zapablast05 10-28-11 04:51 PM

I'm not too sure. I'll check when I get home. I'm at my girlfriends house and the charger just gave out on the linux lappy, luckily I brought my MBP. I googled one of the 404 error that I got and people are saying that the dropbox server isn't updated.

grey_1 10-28-11 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapablast05 (Post 2495845)
I'm not too sure. I'll check when I get home. I'm at my girlfriends house and the charger just gave out on the linux lappy, luckily I brought my MBP. I googled one of the 404 error that I got and people are saying that the dropbox server isn't updated.

Yep, looked it up here too. Google "adding a ppa" and it will explain what all that is about.

I have a stock install of 11.10 myself, not tweaked at all and my mic seems to be ok, so it has to be a simple reason why yours doesn't.

Thing is I haven't kept up on linux recently, so i'm not sure I can offer you a whole lot of help. :o

Zapablast05 10-28-11 07:09 PM

Any help is appreciated dude. It's bee a while since I've posted, a longer while since I've been in the tech world loop, and I'm definitely no linuxpert yet lol. I googled "adding a ppa" and I'm taking a look at the first result, "How do I use software from a PPA," but it's not really telling me what it is. I'll keep reading up on it, try it out, and then post up what I got; this time it'll be from the linux lappy so I can just copy/pasta it into the reply box :).

Zapablast05 10-29-11 01:57 AM

Okay, I'm gonna do a clean reinstall of 11.10 because now my output sound doesn't work. I might have done too many things to "fix" my mic, so I'll just make it simple and start over with a clean install.

So, after the clean reinstall of 11.10, sudo apt-get update works perfectly fine. I even installed Synaptic Package Manager. After inputting what grey_1 posted, everything goes smoothly...until I get to "pulseaudio -D." When I enter that command, I get ":~$ pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed."

What could be causing this now?

Okay, I fixed the problem. After inputting all the aforementioned commands, I installed Syaptic Package Manager and looked through Media and Communications for anything that was related to Pulseaudio that wasn't installed, so I selected and installed it all. My mic and input jacks work now. Hopefully anyone else with this issue will come across this thread and solve their issue as well :). Thanks for the help, grey_1!

grey_1 10-30-11 05:01 PM

Sorry for the delayed responses, crazy weekend.

Ok, my mic doesn't work now - it's just a simple, cheap Logitech plug in, and fixes aren't working for me either.

Here's a Ubuntu sound trouble shooting page I'm working off of. :o I'll update this thread if I find a fix. :o

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting