nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Upgrading for BF3 (clueless) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=168331)

z44 11-07-11 07:09 AM

Upgrading for BF3 (clueless)

So, years ago i used to buy 2 of every flagship card , overclock overything and run benches .

Today, not so much, and i'm very much out of the hardware loop .

All the games i buy and play work perfectly on my (what i realize now) outdated system. That is untill i picked up BF3

I'm still on XP , first game i encountered that does NOT work on XP.
I was shocked but i guess it's finally time to upgrade .

Rest of computer is :

evga X58 SLI (tri sli possible, and SOME crossfire support but not fully if i remember correctly)
i7 920 DO @ around 4 ghz ( i haven't checked in ages, but is on 1.235 Vcore and still prime stable after years lol)
Memory , 3 x 1 GB of some OCZ DDR3 memory
2x GTX 285 videocards

I'm guessing i need to upgrade, if i want some nice graphics, but it seems that today the choice in videocards has become retarded. So many cards with so little difference in performance and price it's stupid.

Time for 1000 euro's on 2 videocards has passed . I don't want to anymore, so i was thinking about 2x GTX 560 ti's ?

How is that for bang for buck ?

And do i also need to get more RAM ? Recommended says 4 GB of RAM, what the hell is happening i feel so bloody old all of a sudden . What abomination of a game needs 4 GIGS OR RAM !?!?!

I'm TOTALLY out of the loop, i had to check in my PC to see what hardware is in there , so please keep it simple.

Recommend me an upgrade path PREASE :o

p.s : Nvidia only, i have no intention of switching motherboards

Blade 11-07-11 07:23 AM

Re: Upgrading for BF3 (clueless)

You dont need an upgrade, just W7 & you will be fine.

Sean_W 11-07-11 07:26 AM

Well, if you want DX11 you'll have to upgrade your cards and yes, BF3 is DX10/11 only. Windows 7.

mailman2 11-07-11 07:54 AM

560ti SLI will work well, I'm not a fan of SLI / microstutter setups and would prefer a single faster card.

You will want more ram and its dirt cheap right now... upgrade for sure.

There is nothing wrong with your current setup, I'd just add some ram, upgrade to a single GTX 580

z44 11-07-11 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2498764)
You dont need an upgrade, just W7 & you will be fine.

I guess i could try first to see what graphics i can get out of my old setup first ...

But isn't 560 SLI quite a bit faster than a single 580 ? Like 20% on average ?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...i-sli-review/6 < 20 page review by guru3d

I've been on crossfire (ok that sucked sometimes at first) and SLI since the radeon X1900XT and especially SLI i have always liked a lot

Sean_W 11-07-11 11:39 AM

560 SLI is faster and cheaper than a single 580 but not all games support SLI so you have to balance it out yourself.

mojoman0 11-07-11 11:45 AM

your cards are plenty fast. I'd say just get windows 7 and maybe 2x2gb of ram unless you really want to upgrade right now

FlakMagnet 11-07-11 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 2498771)
There is nothing wrong with your current setup, I'd just add some ram, upgrade to a single GTX 580

+1

z44 11-07-11 01:26 PM

Well, i'm on windows 7 now, and i think it's slow, clumsy and jerky compared to XP but it must be because i'm a relic or something

And where is OUTLOOK EXPRESS !?

Can i just install an email client without that MOUNTAIN OF CRAP like hotmail this and Live that ?

I'm not happy at all but then again i always find it a pain in the ass to do a new install with all the stupid popups of adobe and whatnot :thumbdwn:

Anyway, sorry for the rant , time to install BF3 , and see if i can get 'origin' (yay :( ) to work

thx guys ill let you know how it runs

Blade 11-07-11 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z44 (Post 2498877)
Well, i'm on windows 7 now, and i think it's slow, clumsy and jerky compared to XP but it must be because i'm a relic or something

And where is OUTLOOK EXPRESS !?

Can i just install an email client without that MOUNTAIN OF CRAP like hotmail this and Live that ?

I'm not happy at all but then again i always find it a pain in the ass to do a new install with all the stupid popups of adobe and whatnot :thumbdwn:

Anyway, sorry for the rant , time to install BF3 , and see if i can get 'origin' (yay :( ) to work

thx guys ill let you know how it runs

Don't install ANYTHING into W7 until you have completed ALL W7 updates, that will take hours, make sure everything is up to date driverwise too.

Then start installin ****.

Good luck.

K007 11-07-11 02:39 PM

shouldn't be upgrading now...new gpu/cpu just around the corner...would be a total waste of money to upgrade.

Logical 11-07-11 03:31 PM

z44 you have near enough the same rig as i do. The only thing that needs upgrading right now is your operating system. When Nvidia release the 6 series GPU's go for one of them chances are 1 GTX 680 will blow away 2 GTX 580's.

You can enjoy BF3 at medium/high settings at around 60 fps with your sli GTX285's, you just need to update the aging xp to win7x64 and maybe upgrade to 6gb of RAM.