nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Next XBox to use ARM cpu and Win9 core? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=168540)

Shamrock 11-11-11 01:22 AM

Next XBox to use ARM cpu and Win9 core?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...re_Report.html

Ninja Prime 11-11-11 01:24 AM

Re: Next XBox to use ARM cpu and Win9 core?

Most of that is way off, but the ARM core is possible. Win9 isn't expected until 2015 IIRC.

Redeemed 11-11-11 01:33 AM

I pray we're not stuck with the present consoles till 2015. I eagerly await the next batch of consoles because it means we'll receive a flooding of new games that will more properly utilize current PC hardware- from graphics, to audio, to A.I., to physics. :)

Ninja Prime 11-11-11 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2500513)
I pray we're not stuck with the present consoles till 2015. I eagerly await the next batch of consoles because it means we'll receive a flooding of new games that will more properly utilize current PC hardware- from graphics, to audio, to A.I., to physics. :)

I would guess 2013 or 2014 for PS4/XboxBiggerNumber. Theres always Wii U next year but thats more like current gen plus 50-100% rather than true next gen 10x jump.

Ninja Prime 11-11-11 01:50 AM

You know, as I think about it, maybe this "seperate cores for everything" and ARM have a kernal of truth and its just being misinterpreted... perhaps its a many core ARM, like say 16 cores or more, with some other ARM cores for certain specific tasks. I could see that working, and Microsoft did recently get a ARM license.

FlakMagnet 11-11-11 08:01 AM

I imagine that Microsoft's license for ARM was for Windows 8 tablets. Or maybe the next Windows phone.

six_storm 11-11-11 08:55 AM

We won't see the next XBOX in people's hands until 2014. Good enough for me so that I can save up money for it. I just hope that MS can keep things simple, ala pop in a disc and play.

Bman212121 11-11-11 09:08 AM

MS has been producing things for ARM for more than a decade. (Pocket PC)

The article has some of that marketing speak in it, but essentially they want as much on die as possible. It will have portions of the die reserved for specific tasks since fixed hardware is faster than programmable. With Windows 8 coming out next summer I can see where they get the "windows 9" from, even if it's not entirely correct.

If anything I would have to guess this next generation will likely be a much more mild hardware upgrade than the 360 was. They can move up to 1080p on DX11 and call it good. If COD is anything to go by, console gamers don't seem to mind similar graphics between 5 games. I would guess the focus for the next round will be much more on integration with mobile gaming than it is on graphics.

bacon12 11-11-11 09:32 AM

Maybe someone can explain how arm would be a better platform for gaming than x86.

Yaboze 11-11-11 09:41 AM

iPad, iPhone and Android devices = ARM

The games are selling like crazy on these devices and they look quite good, although not at HD resolutions. Still, a pumped up ARM CPU could power a console. iOS and Android games are outselling PSP and DS games. I think they're going to go with this type of model alongside with physical media. I don't think they'll adopt bluray, maybe a modified CD like we have now. Maybe.

The fact that MS is making Win8 work on ARM seems to fit as well.

They are even putting a version of the Metro UI on all Xboxes in the next update.

Although many say the PC is dead, it has had a little resurgence lately (very little) because the current consoles are getting older. A few years ago, the consoles were more powerful than what most people had. Now the average PC is more powerful than a console, even though all the games seem to fit the lowest common denominator.

A new set of consoles in 2013 with 1080p graphics will further damage the PC Game market like it did 5-6 years ago. This board and the people who have the desktops you see in our sigs are a niche group.

Bman212121 11-11-11 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2500605)
Maybe someone can explain how arm would be a better platform for gaming than PowerPC.

Fixe

All of the current gen consoles are using IBM. I think the biggest reason for ARM is to be able to quickly port the games between handheld devices and consoles.

Tikimotel 11-22-11 01:00 PM

Wishlist :
- more (video/texture) RAM (1080p HD / 3D needs better textures, no more up scaling)
- more GPU power (default 60fps @ 1080p & 3D with AA enabled, no more 30fps slugishness)
- more CPU cores for realtime physx offloading
- download all games (big HDD storage, smaller SSD for current game caching and OS)
- easy interface, rent movies, buy movies, buy games, online community...