nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   FOV in games (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=169208)

K007 11-27-11 03:24 AM

FOV in games

nutcrackr 11-27-11 04:05 AM

Re: FOV in games

t3hl33td4rg0n 11-27-11 04:15 AM

:rofl

K007 11-27-11 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 2505636)

lol yea i did that as well..i was a bit surprised game let me put crazy fov settings...

Viral 11-27-11 07:13 PM

I played skyrim for a few hours with the default fov and it really was a breath of fresh air once I finally changed it. Way too claustrophobic! Can anyone confirm that this is what the consoles use? Same with other games that have horrible fov on PC, do they have the same fov on consoles, or are they just treating all PC gamers like they still use 4:3 CRT's.

Bah! 11-27-11 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral (Post 2505746)
I played skyrim for a few hours with the default fov and it really was a breath of fresh air once I finally changed it. Way too claustrophobic! Can anyone confirm that this is what the consoles use? Same with other games that have horrible fov on PC, do they have the same fov on consoles, or are they just treating all PC gamers like they still use 4:3 CRT's.

Yes it's the same on consoles. The difference is how far away you sit from the screen on a console. Low fov isn't a problem if you are sitting 6-8 feet away from the screen, but most PC gamers are right in front of their monitors, which makes a low fov garbage. Either developers these days are lazy or just plain ignorant to that fact...take your pick.

K007 11-28-11 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral (Post 2505746)

some console games have even less...

this is sort of a way the dev's have to do to increase graphics quality while decreasing the fov to have less stuff drawn / taxing the system...

but tbh..it makes sense to have 60fov in consoles..its just pc games...it looks so strange on your eyes when ure used to a more higher fov...especially in a fps where your looking for things all over the area...and things just...dont look very natural when its just IN YOUR FACE...

Bladestorm 11-28-11 10:52 AM

That video should be required viewing for all developers. Seriously, now days even some PC exclusives can't get FOV right (Witcher 2 I'm looking at you). Even when you can change the FOV via the .ini it makes most games look like a fish eye lens.

Battlefield 3 at 90 FOV looks perfect. Why can't other games look like that?

Destroy 11-28-11 11:00 AM

I've given up on any dev getting PC FOV right. Least, after we bitch up a storm, a few offer fov setting like DNF and Deus Ex.

mullet 11-28-11 12:02 PM

I have set FOV to 90 for ever.

Bladestorm 11-28-11 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 2505885)
I have set FOV to 90 for ever.

In games that let you maybe. The problem I find is that 90 doesn't look the same in all games. As I said for example it looks perfect in BF3, but in a game like Dead Island if give you a serious fish eye effect. Why is that? That happens with most games nowadays.

mailman2 11-28-11 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladestorm (Post 2505936)
In games that let you maybe. The problem I find is that 90 doesn't look the same in all games. As I said for example it looks perfect in BF3, but in a game like Dead Island if give you a serious fish eye effect. Why is that? That happens with most games nowadays.

I think BF3 uses vertical FOV like BC2 did, different than most games.