nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking about an AMD system (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=170739)

ElL33t 12-20-11 02:02 PM

Thinking about an AMD system

I haven't built an AMD system in a long time. Is their AMD FX 8120 3.1GHz AM3+ a good value for $200? I want a beefy system to play BF3 and all the new games out.

I am looking to save a bit of money on this build so I am looking at AMD CPUs. I'm not looking for the fastest just a very strong system for current games.

Vardant 12-20-11 02:07 PM

Re: Thinking about an AMD system

Core i5 2500K is $220 at Newegg, so the answer is, hell no.

mullet 12-20-11 02:16 PM

Intel the only way to go at this point in time.

ElL33t 12-20-11 02:33 PM

I have an i5 system. I want to give this one to my son.

**EDIT*

You sold me. I will put together a new i5 system with a faster chip.

Tanks guys. I was reading up on tom's hardware and they confirmed what you guys said.

Nice nugget of info here. That is exactly how I build computers. Just because you have the top of the line i7 doesn't mean you are getting any more performance now in gaming. A 4% increase in test is not worth the money IMO.
Quote:

CPUs priced over $220 offer rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to game performance. As such, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-2500K, especially since this multiplier-unlocked processor can be overclocked to great effect if more performance is desired. Even at stock clocks, it meets or beats the $1000 Core i7-990X Extreme Edition when it comes to gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,3030-4.html

mullet 12-20-11 09:14 PM

You have a kid omg. how old are you? I thought you were like 22.

bacon12 12-20-11 09:28 PM

Being as you support Newt I say go for it. Bulldozer rocks. :lol:

mullet 12-20-11 11:42 PM

Newt is pro Intel.

Greedo 12-21-11 12:53 AM

LOL thinking about AMD system

:udawg:

frenchy2k1 12-21-11 11:50 AM

Microcenter has had the i5 2500K for $180 forever. Best value around. AMD has NOTHING that can touch that in price/performance (or just straight perf).
I love AMD systems, but right now, there is NO discussion Intel is leading ridiculously. The only time I would consider AMD is for a really compact or cheap PC, where better integrated graphics can make sense.

Johnny C 12-21-11 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 (Post 2512957)
Microcenter has had the i5 2500K for $180 forever. Best value around. AMD has NOTHING that can touch that in price/performance (or just straight perf).
I love AMD systems, but right now, there is NO discussion Intel is leading ridiculously. The only time I would consider AMD is for a really compact or cheap PC, where better integrated graphics can make sense.

Fusion APUs are great for lots of stuff....but not for enthusiast gaming systems that's for sure

Redeemed 12-21-11 06:15 PM

I'll be building some AMD systems in the coming months. My best friend has 4 gaming rigs, but all very old by the standards of the members here. His oldest is my old Opteron 185 @ stock, with 3GB of RAM and my old 4870. Right now finances are a bit tight for all of us so he's concerned with issues such as power consumption. He's fine with using that 4870 for now but really wants something much more economical. Only game he really plays currently is League Of Legends with his two sons.

So I told him about AMD's APUs and he wants to try one. I don't know that the 6650 on the top-end APU will compare very well to the 4870 he already has... worse case scenerio is I just do crossfire with the APU's GPU and 4870. Under clock the 4870 to help save on electricity usage but with the additional 800 Stream Processors and 512MB framebuffer on the 4870 combined with the 6650 that should be more than playable for a game like league of legends.

Anyhow, probably gonna' wait till January before purchasing the APU and mobo as I want to see if any word of APU's using the 7-series GPUs crop up. It'd be great to get a quad core APU with say a 7670 GPU on it. Be enough graphics horse power where my friend wouldn't need a dedicated graphics card for the most part.

Also gonna' build an APU based system for my parents as they're presently running my old s939 FX-60 based system with 4GB of RAM. Figure an upgrade to a quad core and that 6650 on the APU, maybe 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and an SSD should make for a speedy system that'd last them a long time.

Looking forward to building these. Definitely not enthusiast gaming rigs but they'll serve their purposes just fine. Besides, I've always been intrigued by AMD's APUs. :)

frenchy2k1 12-22-11 01:45 PM

@redeemed:
I doubt you could Xfire an APU with a Radeon 4XXX. I think you can only Xfire with the same gen or card, and only the lower end.
As for the other upgrade, 8Gb mem rather than 6 for AMD as they kept dual channel.