nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which to take? MSI/Asus & Corsair/G-Skill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=171747)

Crow_Nest 01-07-12 11:41 PM

Which to take? MSI/Asus & Corsair/G-Skill

My PC is dying, it crashes randomly for no reason. And its about time i get a new one too.

I intend to get a i7 2700K CPU with a Z68 board. But Im stuck between the Asus P8Z68-V /Gen3 and MSI Z68A-GD55 (GEN3). The MSI board is much cheaper (Im on a tight budget actually) and seems to have all the necessary stuff i need, the Asus however costs a lot more but appears to have a better design and slightly more features like USB and SATA3 connectors. But chances are i might not even need them in future. How is MSI's quality like these days? Havent used a MSI product since the nForce 2 days. My dad just got the Asus board recently and its working great so far.

As for RAM, I see that many of you guys here use Corsair. But G-Skill is a little cheaper and it looks decent enough. I dont intend to do heavy overclocking for now but i might a year or two down the road.

Rummy 01-08-12 12:11 AM

Re: Which to take? MSI/Asus & Corsair/G-Skill

Asus/Gskill

Crow_Nest 01-08-12 12:16 AM

Ive been googling for answers and a lot have also said Asus/Gskill. But any reasons for that other than having better overclock? Because i dont intend to overclock any time soon.

bob saget 01-08-12 12:34 AM

My friend has had awful luck with GSkill for like 3 generations inna row now :lol:, but i personally have not tried that brand. Only tried OCZ and Corsair...

Crow_Nest 01-08-12 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2517904)
My friend has had awful luck with GSkill for like 3 generations inna row now :lol:, but i personally have not tried that brand. Only tried OCZ and Corsair...

Haha ouch tough luck maybe? :D Personally ive never had any issues with any brand of RAM other than Corsair, but that was years ago though. Anyway ive decided to go with Asus/Gskill, i just want something that lasts not something that can overclock. Then again i think i should be fine as long as i dont try to overclock anything. :headexplode:

Now all I need is to wait for hard disk prices to drop and for the new geforce cards to be released so i can finally retire my HD 5850. (nana2)

CoSWill 01-08-12 07:04 AM

I have been running the MSI Z68A-GD80 B3/ i5-2500K since it was introduced. Ram is Corsair GMX4GXM32A1600C8. Although the MB is older than the Gen3, it is very stable and I recommend the MSI Z68 to anyone.

Also for new build, read this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=171385 very informative.

Redeemed 01-08-12 07:31 AM

I swear by G.Skill, it is the only RAM I'll buy anymore. Never received DOA RAM, never received defective RAM, and any RAM I've bought has lasted a very long time. Heck, the 4GBs of DDR400 I was sporting over 5 years ago with my FX-60 is still running very strong in my parent's computer (they have my old gaming rig).

I realize that just because I've never had issues with G.Skill that doesn't mean nobody will ever have issues with them- like Bob's friend for example. I'm sure the same can be said for Corsair or most any other brand. However all I have to go off of is my personal experience and so far I've yet to be let down by G.Skill. I think you'll be very pleased as well. :)

mullet 01-08-12 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 2517896)
Asus/Gskill

Quote:

Originally Posted by zer0 (Post 2517947)
Asus/G.Skill user here.

no problems so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2517948)
I swear by G.Skill, it is the only RAM I'll buy anymore.

Winner!!!!!!!

Roadhog 01-08-12 04:21 PM

G.skill here too. Had a stick die and their RMA was amazingly fast.. 1 week turn around.

pross 01-08-12 04:23 PM

I have the asus board, love it.

Crow_Nest 01-14-12 03:07 AM

THanks for all the replies guys. ive been in camp all week so i wasnt able to view the thread at all. Anyway i just got my new rig earlier this afternoon and im using it right now. :D

Logical 01-14-12 11:08 AM

Asus/Corsair

Even if corsair ram fails then the lifetime warranty that comes with it can't be sniffed at and as ive just found out there customer service is excellent and the RMA procedure is effortless. I had a stick of 1GB dominator 8500C5D fail on me...It's over 6 years old and corsair have replaced it no problem.