nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Mobile Devices And Smartphones (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=172340)

Shamrock 01-17-12 09:16 PM

Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23798

Wow, co-founder of Apple, prefers Android!

Quote:

Wozniak says the iPhone is for people who like simple, pretty things while the Android-based smartphones offer greater capabilities
Quote:

"My primary phone is the iPhone," said Wozniak. "I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do."


According to Wozniak, Android has a list of advantages over iOS, Apple's mobile operating system. For instance, Android's voice recognition software is superior to the iPhone 4S' assistant Siri. Wozniak said Siri worked well as an independent app for the iPhone, but since being built in to the iPhone 4S, it just doesn't perform as well as it once did.

"I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me. I'll be saying, over and over again in my car, 'Call the Lark Creek Steak House,' and I can't get it done. Then I pick up my Android, say the same thing, and it's done. Plus I get navigation. Android is way ahead on that."

Along with voice recognition and navigation, Wozniak also recognizes Android's superior app development process after speaking with a Foursquare developer who said Apple's approval process slows developers down while Android's allows programs to be released and improved faster.

Wozniak even mentioned that Android's software is as aesthetically pleasing as Apple's iOS, not to mention the battery life on an Android smartphone is better than the iPhone's.

"The people I recommend the iPhone 4S for are the ones who are already in the Mac world, because it's so compatible, and people who are just scared of computers altogether and don't want to use them," said Wozniak. "The iPhone is the least frightening thing. For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do."

Wozniak noted that Android has more advantages if "you're willing to do the work to understand it a little bit."

While Wozniak sees Android as a true Apple competitor, he still insists that Windows was never a great program to begin with and could never come close to Apple the way Android is.

"There's not as big a difference [between iOS and Android] as there was between Mac and Windows," said Wozniak.

ViN86 01-18-12 01:13 AM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Wow, can't believe he said all that. :lol:

ViN86 01-18-12 09:31 AM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
The more I think about it, what he said really fits the two platforms well. iOS is extremely simple. It's great for anyone that's terrified of technology or doesn't want the fuss. Even Mac computers are like that. OSX is powerful and minimalist. On the other hand Android can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. It's meant more for power users who know what they want and can customize it until they get it that way.

zoomy942 01-18-12 11:18 AM

I thought his words were interesting. I'm getting curious about windows phone 7 too. Its the only one i haven't tried

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

ViN86 01-18-12 11:32 AM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2520808)
And still, his primary phone is an iPhone. If you need something that has to work at all times without dealing with little issues, the iPhone is the way to go. If you want a gadget, Android is a good choice.

Gotta love The Woz though, awesome guy :D

However, I don't really agree with the development comparison. I much prefer iOS over Android in that regard, huge difference.

That's a misleading statement. Android phones work all the time as well. Android devices are just as reliable as iOS devices.

six_storm 01-18-12 11:49 AM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2520814)
That's a misleading statement. Android phones work all the time as well. Android devices are just as reliable as iOS devices.

It depends on what you do with your phone. Love to tinker? Get Android and tinker all day long. Then fix the problems you've caused by (insert action here). Jussayin. :D

The Woz apparently still likes to tinker so Android would appeal to him. Makes sense. (nana2)

ViN86 01-18-12 01:13 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2520834)
No, not with what I see every day at work. A few guys I work with have Android phones, mostly HTC and they constantly have to deal with ridiculous issues:

Enabling some sort of a debug mode to be able to sync with Outlook, crashing HTC Sense which requires a "reboot" of the UI, slow responsiveness to user input, ...

A lot of it is probably HTC related but some Samsung users are also complaining about issues. Not to mention the ultra long delays until they'll get the OS updates! Also some have Android Tables at home for digital newspapers and they're complaining a lot about really slow PDF refresh/reload rates.

And it's also not the user's fault. We're all engineers at work, so we know a thing or two about technology ;)

As mentioned already in another thread, if I had to use an Android phone, I'd get the current Google reference device with stock Android. But I'm soo glad I don't have to use Android other than for some private developing projects...

All the problems you listed, I do not consider common. I never get those issues, and I setup my dad's phone to sync with Outlook, and he never gets those issues. Furthermore, your friends should be able to fix all the issues you listed.

With about 20-30 min. of tweaking and your friends should be able to completely fix all of their issues. HTC's even have unlocked bootloaders. There are multiple options available. First, whatever app your friend is using to sync with Outlook sounds like garbage. I will ask my dad which app I setup on his phone (there are a few out there, I forget the exact one I used). Second, slowdowns can be prevented by changing the amount of memory to keep free (stock ROM's are often too aggressive with that). Finally, having to restart the UI indicates that he's using a bad app/process that keeps crashing. If it really is part of the internals (i.e. the ROM), then he could easily use a custom ROM, which can not only improve stability, but increase battery life.

I don't normally suggest all this, but you said they're tech savvy, so they should be capable of fixing their problems...

Android is like Windows. You need to know what you're installing and what's going on.

six_storm 01-18-12 01:58 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2520842)
All the problems you listed, I do not consider common. I never get those issues, and I setup my dad's phone to sync with Outlook, and he never gets those issues. Furthermore, your friends should be able to fix all the issues you listed.

With about 20-30 min. of tweaking and your friends should be able to completely fix all of their issues. HTC's even have unlocked bootloaders. There are multiple options available. First, whatever app your friend is using to sync with Outlook sounds like garbage. I will ask my dad which app I setup on his phone (there are a few out there, I forget the exact one I used). Second, slowdowns can be prevented by changing the amount of memory to keep free (stock ROM's are often too aggressive with that). Finally, having to restart the UI indicates that he's using a bad app/process that keeps crashing. If it really is part of the internals (i.e. the ROM), then he could easily use a custom ROM, which can not only improve stability, but increase battery life.

I don't normally suggest all this, but you said they're tech savvy, so they should be capable of fixing their problems...

Android is like Windows. You need to know what you're installing and what's going on.

My question is why should you HAVE to tweak and tinker to get a device that works like it should? It's almost like you have to tinker with Android phones to get them to a stable and usable state. My iPhone has had the ringtone and wallpaper changed, that's it, no tinkering involved and it's perfect; no slowdowns, zero issues.

I've been in the IT business for a little while now and while I should "want" to tinker like all the other geeks, I think it's just a huge waste of time. Lots of other things in life that I would rather devote my time to. Just being honest.

I'm honestly not trolling here but it seems like manufacturers hand you a half-arsed phone with bloatware and expect you to do the rest of the job. "So I spend $200-$300 on this phone and it's only half way ready for me to use? You mean I have to tweak it to get the right memory settings just so I don't have slowdowns on my PDFs or apps? Guess I'll root and flash just to get rid of this bloat." Screw that noise. I say do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

/phone rant :headexplode:

I've got mah flamesuit on for you guys :bleh:

ViN86 01-18-12 03:02 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2520856)
My question is why should you HAVE to tweak and tinker to get a device that works like it should? It's almost like you have to tinker with Android phones to get them to a stable and usable state. My iPhone has had the ringtone and wallpaper changed, that's it, no tinkering involved and it's perfect; no slowdowns, zero issues.

I've been in the IT business for a little while now and while I should "want" to tinker like all the other geeks, I think it's just a huge waste of time. Lots of other things in life that I would rather devote my time to. Just being honest.

I'm honestly not trolling here but it seems like manufacturers hand you a half-arsed phone with bloatware and expect you to do the rest of the job. "So I spend $200-$300 on this phone and it's only half way ready for me to use? You mean I have to tweak it to get the right memory settings just so I don't have slowdowns on my PDFs or apps? Guess I'll root and flash just to get rid of this bloat." Screw that noise. I say do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

/phone rant :headexplode:

I've got mah flamesuit on for you guys :bleh:

That's fine, then don't buy an Android phone. I want control over my hardware, so I choose Android. My Android phone is essentially a computer. Your iPhone is a phone with web access. But if that's all you need, then more power to you.

Also, most of these problems are the result of carriers trying to put new versions of Android on older hardware (crashes, slowdowns, etc.). Phone hardware has come a long way in the past couple years. It's their fault for being too aggressive with releases on their phones.

ViN86 01-18-12 03:10 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2520854)
Thanks for the tips Vin! I'm not sure what apps and versions they're using. I just heard their complaints and noticed how they had to use their phones and I was just glad that I don't have to deal with this. The only thing I know is that the default HTC messenger and eMail client caused the Sense UI to crash, that's pretty embarrassing :p

I'm not saying that those issues are common. It's not one guy that suffers from all of those. Just a "collection" of issues from all those HTC users.

The Windows (or in my opinion even Desktop Linux) comparison is a good one. That's probably the reason why Microsoft decided to approach the mobile market with a concept on its own, different then Windows on the PC ;)

Yea a lot of companies try to use their own apps like mail and stuff that are just terrible. Verizon has a mail client that sucks too. I use K9 Mail. It supports multiple accounts, keeps them separate, and has plenty of good options. It's also good with memory management.

ViN86 01-18-12 03:26 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2520878)
Sounds like the Mail client on my iPhone, which is there for everyone to use.

Why waste time trying and configuring other eMail clients when the one that comes with the smartphone should work in the first place? That whole Android approach is nothing for me. I like messing with stuff, but only if it makes sense. I don't see any sense in this particular example.

The regular Android mail app does that as well. The Verizon mail app is what sucks. K9 is free. I like it even better than the Android mail app.

I also have an iPod Touch 4G, so I know how Mail works. I think K9 is better than Mail.

EDIT: here's the link http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/
It's based on the original Android mail app, they just took that and built on it.

Shamrock 01-18-12 08:40 PM

Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2520808)
And still, his primary phone is an iPhone. If you need something that has to work at all times without dealing with little issues, the iPhone is the way to go. If you want a gadget, Android is a good choice.

Gotta love The Woz though, awesome guy :D

However, I don't really agree with the development comparison. I much prefer iOS over Android in that regard, huge difference.

If I had to guess, that is to make phone calls, for data I will guess he uses the Android.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.