nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   a budget rig is born (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=172592)

holmes 01-21-12 01:56 PM

a budget rig is born

Hi all,
I've been working on slowly piecing together a new rig over the last 4 or 5 months. My aim was to build something dirt cheap that also had some solid upgrade options. After going back and forth whether to go intel or amd, I decided to stick with amd. I think AM3+ will give me strong upgrade options for the next few years. Yes I know bulldozer in it's current incarnation can't really compete with sandy bridge. That doesn't really concern me. I have mostly everything I need except the processor -- thinking about going either athlon x2 or x3.

My gaming needs are fairly simplistic at the moment. My Samsung 930BF monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024, so I don't need some brawny video card. Well at least not yet. Actually I've been itching to play some old school games for a while -- no BF3 or crysis for me. I have an itch to play me some doom3 for some reason.. Since I'm a cheap bastard I'll probably go linux for a few months until I just buy win 7. Maybe over the next year I'll switch out the GPU or upgrade to a phenom. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

bob saget 01-21-12 03:22 PM

Re: a budget rig is born

I've seen crazier :captnkill:

Greedo 01-21-12 11:07 PM

i say this as a friend and fellow bounty hunter: you shouldn't deny yourself bf3.

holmes 01-22-12 12:26 AM

Hehe, I've seen the BF3 videos -- don't get me wrong it looks pretty sweet. Someday I'll get to it. Maybe. :)

bob saget 01-22-12 01:44 AM

check out craigslist for a used GTX 260 or 275 or 285. Those should play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 no problem at that resolution, and that is a good looking and fun game too. BF3 is better, but bad company 2 is still very enjoyable and looks amazing.

holmes 01-22-12 12:12 PM

I was particularly cautious about cheaping out too much on the gfx card. I'll probably regret that when I get around to installing win7 and trying out some more modern games. Actually at the last minute I decided to go for the GT220 instead of the 210. Basically spending more than $100 on any one part makes me cringe. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

frenchy2k1 01-23-12 12:47 PM

You're not going to be gaming much on a GT220 either.
You can grab really cheap older video cards on ebay/craigslist. A GTS250/9800/8800 would give you much better perfs and still probably be cheaper.
You could also grab a Radeon 6750 or a Geforce 550 for slightly less than $100 and have both DX11 and better perfs.
Otherwise, you may be better off with a Fusion A processor and just use the integrated graphics. This should still beat the GT220...

holmes 01-24-12 11:33 AM

Enter the buyer's remorse. Yep that GTS250 looks pretty sweet. Read a few reviews.. Found one on ebay for about the same price I paid for the 220. Oh well. Maybe in a few months I'll look into upgrading the card. I'm hoping kepler will push down prices of everything under it. I briefly considered the APUs but since I like to get my linux on, I tend to only consider nvidia. I also think the AM3+ platform gives me more options down the road.. thanks

holmes 02-08-12 10:47 PM

Here it is in all it's messy first boot glory.. :) It's been a while since I got some gaming in on my Athlon XP 2100+ and Geforce 6800GT, but wow.. Doom3 looks awesome and buttery smooth. Look forward to working my way through five years worth of games.. Cheers!

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/yforb.jpg

bob saget 02-08-12 11:08 PM

Enjoy it. If you are selective, there were actually a handful of decent games the last five years :D

holmes 02-10-12 09:46 AM

thank you sir :)

XDanger 02-11-12 04:22 AM

I think SMAA injector would be a godsend for the older rig, Like Viagr@