nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Anybody have Security+, or Windows 7 MCTS? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173326)

sillyeagle 02-02-12 01:09 AM

Anybody have Security+, or Windows 7 MCTS?

I'm thinking about Security+ and I'm wondering how difficult this test is. Currently I have A+ and Network+. A+ was very easy, and I was told I was the fastest person the tester had ever seen take the test. Network+ was more challenging, and I only got 713 with 646 being a passing score.

What can you say about the Security+ exam?

I'm also considering the Windows 7 MCTS exam, since it is presumably the easiest MS test, but I hear there is only one decent book (Cert Guide), as the official MS Press book is full of errors and requires an 85 page errata that you must continually cross reference. I've also heard you pretty much have to build a Server 2008 network to do the labs with if you want any hope of passing it. I don't have the money or space to setup something like that, so I might not even bother with this test.

What can you say about the Windows 7 MCTS (70-680) exam?

Thanks

dukenukemz 02-02-12 11:19 AM

Re: Anybody have Security+, or Windows 7 MCTS?

Security + is probably one of the hardest tests that ive heard of. Windows 7 i assume is pretty easy and if you need a windows server 08 network just get VMware workstation and network a bunch of VM's together for a artificial network that will work the same.

Q 02-02-12 12:01 PM

I took the Security+ in Dec 2011. Read this book twice:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Securi...8205574&sr=1-1

Needed 750 of 900. Scored 871.

I also have A+, Network+, MCSA. The MCSA was toughest. Network right below Security+. Not too bad.

sillyeagle 02-03-12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2525289)
I took the Security+ in Dec 2011. Read this book twice:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Securi...8205574&sr=1-1

I'll probably get that as my second book. Thanks.

mullet 02-06-12 12:19 AM

I just passed 2008R2 AD MCTS, what a beast of a test. Security+ should be a breeze.

Q 02-07-12 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 2526282)
I just passed 2008R2 AD MCTS, what a beast of a test. Security+ should be a breeze.

MS tests are far harder than CompTIA. I'm A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, and MCSA. The MS tests are like short novels with multiple correct answers and other insanity.

mullet 02-13-12 09:19 AM

Yeah no kidding. I felt like I read a book after taking my AD test. So far I have.

Server 2008R2 Active directory
A+
Network+

Next is Server 2008R2 Network Infrastructure, Win 7, Security+. Then I can be like you guys and hate my job. LOL

Q 02-13-12 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 2528367)
Yeah no kidding. I felt like I read a book after taking my AD test. So far I have.

Server 2008R2 Active directory
A+
Network+

Next is Server 2008R2 Network Infrastructure, Win 7, Security+. Then I can be like you guys and hate my job. LOL

I'm still brushing up on some certs, but I'm two semesters into my Masters in Information Technology at VA Tech. In this economy you can never have two many qualifications.

mullet 02-13-12 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2528378)
I'm still brushing up on some certs, but I'm two semesters into my Masters in Information Technology at VA Tech. In this economy you can never have two many qualifications.

Very true, I still think certs trump a degree in the IT field but I am no expert.

six_storm 02-14-12 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 2528547)
Very true, I still think certs trump a degree in the IT field but I am no expert.

Experience trumps all. Most of our guys here can do some amazing things and yet they don't have certs for it.

Once we get back from South Korea and get adjusted, I should have a solid idea of whether I want to advance in project work (setting up networks, servers, etc) or to go into the field of security. Security has always peaked my interest but I've never really taken the first step to doing it.

For years, I've been the "Backup and Monitoring Solutions Guy", and although the company depends strictly on me for this type of stuff, it's still boring. Time to shift gears! :D

mullet 02-14-12 10:22 PM

WOW six storm you are amazing. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Q 03-09-12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 2528547)

It really depends on what you're doing, the industry, and what level in the organization you're at. I work in Higher Ed, so to be in management you have to have a masters level degree or better. I want to be a CIO one day, so it's a logical step for me. If you're on the break/fix side or even the design part of the job, a technical school or certification is more than enough especially with added experience. If you're doing engineering, the BS/MS curriculum can be very useful. Of course experience is important - certs and degrees are the things that get your foot in the door. A job requirement is just that; a requirement.

When I'm hiring technicians I'll take someone with an A+ and MCTS than someone with a recent BS in CompSci in most cases. Of course, those other cases are when the CompSci kid has a great personality and work ethic. You can train any technical skill, you can't correct the behaviors of a person with a perpetually bad attitude.