nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   End the insanity!!! (FF10 ESR) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173372)

Bman212121 02-02-12 04:44 PM

End the insanity!!! (FF10 ESR)

Firefox 10 Extended Support Release.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Blah blah not for individuals blah blah....

If I used firefox I would be using this version. Supported for a full year and will still get all of the critical security updates and none of the other garbage.

I'd really love to see this version just take over so they realize that they don't need a new version every 6 weeks. Most linux distros update twice a year and I find that even with that they are too frequent. If you download one version halfway through the life cycle it won't be long before the next one is released.

Johnny C 02-04-12 02:20 PM

Re: End the insanity!!! (FF10 ESR)

Answer....chrome..

Q 02-04-12 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny C (Post 2525976)
Answer....chrome..

Chrome still seems a little half baked to me. Poor bookmark management and mediocre plugins compared to the FF equivalents are keeping me with FF for the moment.

frenchy2k1 02-06-12 12:29 PM

I just wish FF would fix its memory management. It's improving but still far from where it should be...

Cylphid 02-07-12 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2525980)
Chrome still seems a little half baked to me. Poor bookmark management and mediocre plugins compared to the FF equivalents are keeping me with FF for the moment.

I've tried it numerous times along it's development cycle, and I wind up back with FF withing a couple of days....

Bman212121 02-07-12 07:36 PM

So Q, would this version of FF interest you, or are you going to stick to the main channel? Just curious if the updating has become a problem.

Q 02-07-12 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2526836)
So Q, would this version of FF interest you, or are you going to stick to the main channel? Just curious if the updating has become a problem.

The constant updates haven't bothered me too much. I use a small handful of plugins...

Adblock plus
BetterPrivacy
Flashblock
Forecastfox
KeeFox
Ghostery
Omnibar
Shareaholic
Xmarks

Since about FF 4 or 5 I haven't had any of the above plugins not work with an update. Just started using Free Download Manager and was disappointed that the plugin worked in 9 not 10 - if I cared enough I could find a work around.

I've been sticking with Firefox since the Mozilla Browser years. I have my qualms with it. Flash has been awful for the last few versions and would lock up the browser forcing a hard kill of it or plugin-container.

I really like a lot of what Chrome is doing. I like that I can sync my entire profile - extensions included. (Even though the configuration of said extensions varies per machine). I think the quick user profile switching is really cool, as well. I'm a huge Xmarks fan - it just works great in Firefox. It is finally in a decent state with Chrome and certainly better than the native syncing in Firefox or Chrome. For a while it was HORRIBLE on Chrome. It really seems that any extension with Chrome is just extremely limited compared to what is possible on Firefox. I understand the technical background and reasoning for the differences, but I'm a power user with a certain set of needs. For the average Joe, Chrome is far more appealing.

Chrome's bookmark system is still as awful as ever for a power user. There are several small things that bug me that keep me away, as well. The program itself - not the web pages it renders - just has a very "web" feel to it. Look at the options menus and such - it just doesn't feel like a native app. Sometimes I even see some "tearing" or some sort of artifact in the UI - Chrome itself is built on web technologies so I've read. I like the "sandbox" idea with Chrome, but I wish that the sand boxing did not result in a Windows process for every window and extension. Task Manager becomes a mess with Chrome running.

On the flip side, I really like the "Apps" idea that Chrome is running with. It's a fantastic light weight browser that seamlessly auto updates and is very secure. It's a fantastic fit for many users, especially if you're already using Google Apps.

To answer the question, I'm going to stay on the normal release schedule personally. The plugins work great.

In the enterprise Firefox still has a LOT of catching up to do. The constant release cycles have been very painful for my desktop support group. We try to run a least privilege shop when possible, so the constant updates are a pain. Chrome is great since it lives in the user profile AND it has fantastic packaging and GPO support for a third party browser.

Edit: For the record, I use Chrome and Firefox at work while just FF at home. We're a Google Apps shop and I have my own Gmail account. With the quick user switching it becomes very pleasant to access both accounts simultaneously. I really like the desktop notification support for calendar events, which you only get with Chrome, but if you leave your browser open for more than a day many events get "stuck" above your task bar and you have to kill the app and sometimes your Windows session if it grows too crazy.

Bman212121 02-07-12 09:13 PM

Thanks for a very insightful and informative post! :thumbsup:

It's interesting to know that you were able to keep flying through with plugins as that sounds like it was one of the issues with all of the updates.

I personally don't use any plug-ins for any browser. I used to use IEPro but with a download manager finally it's becoming less useful. For all of your ad blocking I just wonder if you've ever looked into squid. Stop all of the ads from the server level so you don't have to micromanage all of your pcs and browsers.

For us at work we just won't push out a new browser update unless something is critical that we do. I'm not sure how many desktops you support but there is no way we could keep 500 pcs up to date 24/7 because of some of the software we use. (Have things in place stop changes being made) There is actually a vulnerability in FF 4 - 8 right now that could be used for key logging. It was fixed in FF9 but there is compatibility issues with one of the websites that we use so we can't just upgrade to 9. Since FF is already on 10 I doubt they are going to patch it for any of the older versions, which makes it difficult for us to come up with a solution. Hopefully this version of 10 ESR will start working for the sites we need and we can get on it asap.

Q 02-12-12 08:30 AM

I run pfSense at home, so Squid is certainly an option at the firewall. However, you do run into the occasional website that doesn't load correctly if all of the ads aren't displayed. (Multi-quote here is a good example).

At work are you guys running SteadyState or Deep Freeze, with regards to the change issues? Or is it a procedural, documentation, and compliance issue?

I'm still leery of Firefox in the enterprise. It's just so hard to centrally manage. However, it IS the "secondary" browser we include on our golden image, I believe. Our web time sheet works in IE and Firefox but fails miserably in Chrome, which would have been my choice for a number two.