nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What anti-virus product is best for gaming? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173689)

leandrohailey 02-08-12 02:17 AM

What anti-virus product is best for gaming?

hi Friends i am new here..
The guy at best buy said that kaspersky is good and it won't get in the way of gaming. I am saving up for a good gaming laptop and I just want to know what anti-virus product is the best.

ATOJAR 02-08-12 03:24 AM

Re: What anti-virus product is best for gaming?

I use Avast! ... Have done for years, I have it in silence/gaming mode 24/7.

Incase you dont know silence/gaming mode basicaly just disables the popups as not to interfere with the game but does not change the security in any way.

nutcrackr 02-08-12 04:33 AM

AVG Free and Microsoft Security essentials combo, usually fine for gaming. Occasionally have to put some games under exceptions in AVG but 1 in 50.

K007 02-08-12 05:46 AM

nis, light and excellent.

FlakMagnet 02-08-12 07:48 AM

Have been using only Microsoft Security Essentials for a couple of years now. Seems to keep very quiet and haven't had any issues with viruses etc.

Kaguya 02-08-12 11:43 AM

I've always used ESET Nod32. In the old days it had the smallest footprint for performance stealing, and I've stuck with it. Nowadays with CPU cycles to spare, it probably doesn't matter so much... I do know that the current version of Nod32 has a 'Gaming Mode' that you can enable to prevent any weird popups, but I've never had issue with it and never enabled that mode.

Almost any antivirus software will suit you, so unless you have something specific you're looking for in an interface or features, it probably won't matter that much (provided it's a well-enough known product that's not a scam :) ).

Logical 02-08-12 12:14 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free and awesome !

Cylphid 02-08-12 12:18 PM

+1 for MSE.

I've also been giving Norton 360 a road test as it's free to use from my ISP (Comcast) and once it's configured to not alert you for high cpu usage etc etc etc, it seems to work just fine.

I game on a laptop, so performance hits would be pretty noticeable.

Cylphid 02-08-12 12:38 PM

I should have added in my post that I used nothing but MSE since release until I installed Norton a couple weeks ago and never had an issue.

Common sense about sites visited, best email practices etc...is still and always will be the best front line protection.

I just have a lot of customers who don't like to keep it running in the background. The 'common sense' ....that is. :p

Redeemed 02-08-12 12:49 PM

Norton360.

Started using it about two years ago because I got it free from my old job. Still using it as I can still get it free. :lol:

Bah! 02-08-12 03:15 PM

MSE since it was released. I've used everything from AVG to Kaspersky and MSE is as good as any of them, it's free, and it has negligible overhead.