nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   There are some dangerous Files out there (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=174343)

john19055 02-18-12 12:30 AM

There are some dangerous Files out there

I was looking at my email and it said I had one from the Postal delivery service .I scan it with my virus scanner and it said it was clean.I had bought something and I knew it was comeiing though the mail is why I did'nt think twice about opening it .Big mistake it made all my files disappear on all my drives .I tried to do a recovery but to no aveil.It would boot up just fine ,but when it went to the desktop nothing was there except my taskbar.I tried opening my two other drives and nothing was there .Then I got a masage that my hardive was 20% slower and my ram was getting hot .But I could fill my memory and it was cool.Then something came up and said it was window check servive ,I could not cancel it and when it got though it said my memory was defected and my CPU was bad and my harddrives had a lot of bad sectors. then it had a fix it button.whenI pushed that it took me to a web site and said for the full version it could fix it all ,for just $89.95.I knew it was a virus or malware but had a hard time finding it ,but I finnally found it and in safe mode was able to deleat them.But the damage had done ben done .I had no start up menu and all my files were dissapeared.I could go in to folder option and click on to show all my hidden files and there they were.But it will take a clean install to ever get it right again.I was lucky that I had another harddrive laying around that had the same windows install on it and it was already activated.It showed me to alway be weary about openning a email file.

jeffmd 02-18-12 12:54 AM

Re: There are some dangerous Files out there

Good lord, you made 3834 post and they all looked like this?

Anyways, thanks ric romero, guess its time for a better AV program and maybe switch to web mail?

john19055 02-18-12 10:51 PM

All my threads look like this one ,really.I have norton 360 v5 and going on two years with this install and that the first time I ever had anything like that happen to me.Been with different email accounts over the past 11 years and I use Yahoo right now and never opened anything that did the damange those two virus or malware did.

dukenukemz 02-22-12 02:03 PM

all your files did not disappear they were just hidden. That is a very common rootkit that has been going around lately and the best course of action is to

1. Run Rkill

2. Run Malwarebytes

3. Reboot / re run malware bytes

4. Get a file unhider so you dont spend 7 days finding all ur stuff.

5. scan once more with Norton or w/e antivirus you use then you should be good to go.

musman 05-01-12 11:48 AM

Yea, you can probably go to: Control Panel, Folder Options, View, and select "Show hidden Folders".