nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   System locks up on monitor power off.... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176566)

mbobak 03-20-12 03:41 AM

System locks up on monitor power off....

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 beta/NVidia 295.20 driver/3.2.0-19-generic kernel.

Everything runs fine, except if I turn off my monitor (which is a 60" Plasma in my Home Theatre), the system locks up hard. I need to physically press reset button to reboot the system.

I'm not certain, but I suspect a problem w/ NVidia driver. I'm not sure how to proceed, how to investigate the problem.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

-Mark

mbobak 03-26-12 01:13 AM

Re: System locks up on monitor power off....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbobak (Post 2538172)
Hi,

Everything runs fine, except if I turn off my monitor (which is a 60" Plasma in my Home Theatre), the system locks up hard. I need to physically press reset button to reboot the system.

I'm not certain, but I suspect a problem w/ NVidia driver. I'm not sure how to proceed, how to investigate the problem.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

-Mark

Upgraded kernel to 3.2.0-20-generic now, still same problem.

-Mark

mephist0 03-27-12 01:33 AM

Having a similar problem on 295.20.

I'm using gnome 3.2.1. on gentoo with kernel 3.2.9-gentoo. LCD is HP ZR30W.

When the screen is locked, the running apps dont respond anymore.
My downloads just stop :( . And Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't receive email.

When I unlock the screen the downloads run again!?

When I get home from work I will attach a nvidia-bug-report.

mocharhw 03-27-12 02:14 PM

I had a similar problem about 10 years ago with a firewire front panel extension addon and firewire devices connected would cause a hard freeze. Turned out to be a ground loop problem. You can isolate this by using those 3 prong to 2 prong power cord adapters on the computer and the TV, and/or try disconnecting other devices that are connected to the TV. Eliminating the ground prongs isn't going to hurt anything, it's just there as a chassis safety in case the phase wire touches the case of the device.

netsuso 04-01-12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbobak (Post 2538172)

Same here for me. Curiously, it only happens when I completely switch off the screen. If it is kept in stand-by mode the kernel doesn't lock up.

I have a 8400GS (G86) and the screen is connected via HDMI (I doubt this would happen if it were connected by VGA)

I think that most certainly this is a problem with the nVidia driver. This happens for me with all 295.* versions, but it works right with the latest 275 series (currently, 275.43). I have to run the X server with -ignoreABI option, but still it works.

Could you test with version 275.43 to check if it works for you too?