nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Expert Advice..... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176621)

MUYA 03-20-12 09:11 PM

Expert Advice.....

I need for you guys to offer me some insight. What do you lot think? You guys can refer to the system specs (signature) I currently have

What would give me more bang on the buck upgrade from a purely gaming point of view.

I game with 1920 by 1200 and with all eye candy enabled (as much as I can) including AA (4X a min or High Quality FXAA) and AF on. EYE CANDY ***** I be!

I now play exclusively, Age of Conan, Secret World (beta), Star Wars TOR and some Skyrim
Performance for me on AoC/Secret World/Skyrim are OK but can come down to teen levels.

Not interested in BF3 or any FPS game (i suck at those)

With that in mind, and with budget for one or the other, would it be better if upgrade to;

1) Ivy bridge CPU (the 4 core overclockable one) upgrade (of course with mobo + DDR3 RAM)

or,

2) Kepler or 7970 and stay with current CPU set up

or,

3) Stop gaming and spend more time with girlie?

bob saget 03-21-12 12:04 AM

Re: Expert Advice.....

Have you thought of buying a second 580? If you dig around locally, you may find a good deal. Imo your base setup is fine, so I think you'd rather just upgrade the GPU power, one way or another.

MUYA 03-21-12 12:11 AM

I did think (or want to) about adding another 580, but unfortunately, the mobo I have has crossfire support only :(

Roadhog 03-21-12 12:21 AM

Get a 3770K, and keep the 580.

Redeemed 03-21-12 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2538410)
Get a 3770K, and keep the 580.

+1

MUYA 03-21-12 12:34 AM

hmm am I to infer that a faster / new cpu may give me better minimum fps? that's what I am really after I guess...min fps in those games to stay above 30 fps

Redeemed 03-21-12 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA (Post 2538415)
hmm am I to infer that a faster / new cpu may give me better minimum fps? that's what I am really after I guess...min fps in those games to stay above 30 fps

Let's just say if the 3770k ate my processor, yours would be its sh!t.
:D

NAO BAI THE 3770K!!! AND THEN TWO MORE GTX580s.

Tri-SLi 'em sum'bishes on that there fancy new-fangled X79 chipset. :naughty:

Roadhog 03-21-12 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA (Post 2538415)

It could. Your cpu is pretty weak. But it also could not. Depends on the game mostly. What you could do, is return your cpu back to the stock clock speeds and see how much fps you lose vs the overclocked speed. If it is a lot then you should see nice gains from going to a faster cpu.

Redeemed 03-21-12 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2538419)
It could. Your cpu is pretty weak. But it also could not. Depends on the game mostly. What you could do, is return your cpu back to the stock clock speeds and see how much fps you lose vs the overclocked speed. If it is a lot then you should see nice gains from going to a faster cpu.

And here you waltz in with all your intelligence and smarty-pantsedness. JUST WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!?!?!?

But yeah, what Roadhogrider said. :bleh:

Roadhog 03-21-12 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2538421)
But yeah, what Roadhogrider said. :bleh:

Don't ever do that again.

Redeemed 03-21-12 12:47 AM

:rofl

Do what? :wonder:

MUYA 03-21-12 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2538419)

Extremely good piece of advice. I will do that thanks!