nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   mouse will not work, help please! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176695)

Cylphid 03-21-12 10:07 AM

mouse will not work, help please!

I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP on a friends HP. Her son had this thing virus ridden to the point I can't even attempt a repair, but here's the problem.

Even with legacy USB support enabled in the bios, no mouse I try works, at all. I've tried a stock dell optical mouse, a logitech g500, a logitech wireless (m24 I think) and I've tried with a ps2 to USB adapter -

I've never run into this before, where neither ps2 or USB will work no matter what port I try. The fresh install gets all the way to the "adjusting visuals" prompt. All other prompts I had to use the keyboard..

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

hirantha 03-21-12 10:16 AM

Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylphid (Post 2538555)
I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP on a friends HP. Her son had this thing virus ridden to the point I can't even attempt a repair, but here's the problem.

Even with legacy USB support enabled in the bios, no mouse I try works, at all. I've tried a stock dell optical mouse, a logitech g500, a logitech wireless (m24 I think) and I've tried with a ps2 to USB adapter -

I've never run into this before, where neither ps2 or USB will work no matter what port I try. The fresh install gets all the way to the "adjusting visuals" prompt. All other prompts I had to use the keyboard..

Is the Keyboard USB? try the mouse on keyboards port and if it still doesn't work update to XP sp 3 and see if it is recognized?

Cylphid 03-21-12 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirantha (Post 2538557)
Is the Keyboard USB? try the mouse on keyboards port and if it still doesn't work update to XP sp 3 and see if it is recognized?

Yes, that was the first port I went to with no luck. Her install disc is sp2, maybe I do need 3. Thanks for the advice.

bob saget 03-21-12 10:37 AM

USB hub?

Cylphid 03-21-12 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2538566)
USB hub?

I have a powered hub and a non powered I could try. But wouldn't the mouse still be seen the same way? Heck, I'm willing to try anything here :lol:

I'll try it out tonight, can't hurt. :)

Starscream 03-21-12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylphid (Post 2538555)

You can definitely navigate the whole way through an XP install with just a keyboard.

Use tab and space to select and activate buttons.

Cylphid 03-21-12 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream (Post 2538570)
You can definitely navigate the whole way through an XP install with just a keyboard.

Use tab and space to select and activate buttons.

Yes, that's what I did until the screen where XP tells you it's adjusting your graphics quality. From there I get no response at all. I literally hit every key on the keyboard out of frustration :lol:

I was thinking that maybe after install, a windows update might fix it, but that no response is a show stopper.

Starscream 03-21-12 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylphid (Post 2538572)
Yes, that's what I did until the screen where XP tells you it's adjusting your graphics quality. From there I get no response at all. I literally hit every key on the keyboard out of frustration :lol:

I was thinking that maybe after install, a windows update might fix it, but that no response is a show stopper.

If it actually IS freezing there you obviously have other issues with this machine too. If it's not actually frozen/crashed just hit alt-tab to select the prompt if you aren't on it. Then press tab until you have ok selected and press space.

I think you should do some basic hardware tests like either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. Also if this machine is old you should visually inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.

Cylphid 03-21-12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream (Post 2538590)
If it actually IS freezing there you obviously have other issues with this machine too. If it's not actually frozen/crashed just hit alt-tab to select the prompt if you aren't on it. Then press tab until you have ok selected and press space.

I think you should do some basic hardware tests like either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. Also if this machine is old you should visually inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.

I will do this soon as I get home, thank you. I haven't researched the s/n yet, but I think it's 5-6 years old, pentium D 2.8Ghz proc.

I personally think she should just upgrade to a decent, modern laptop, but she won't :lol:

EDIT: It worked! WTH, I hit alt-tab and suddenly I had a desktop with a working mouse....

Thanks for the replies guys!

Starscream 03-21-12 11:30 PM

I'm glad to hear it worked out.

:thumbsup:

Cylphid 03-22-12 05:16 AM

Appreciate the help! :)