nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   GeForce 600 Roadmap Partially Exposed (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177111)

AthlonXP1800 03-27-12 06:24 AM

GeForce 600 Roadmap Partially Exposed

http://videocardz.com/31551/geforce-...-coming-in-may

Accorded to Gibbo from Overclockers UK, we will see GTX 680 4GB models show up in April, not 2 months later Cant wait! :D

Nvidia will launch GK110 in Aug for Tesla parts first so Nvidia could launch the higher end for consumer at the end of year if Nvidia feel like it.

Fotis 03-27-12 07:44 AM

Re: GeForce 600 Roadmap Partially Exposed

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2540365)
Wth is the 685?

Its GK110.

Its launch timeframe puts its close to when we expect radeon 8970.

TheTaz 03-27-12 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2540365)
Wth is the 685?

It's the "Smack your bitch up" card that should have been the GTX680 (if you go by traditional code names -> enthusiast level cards)... but nVidia didn't want to blow their whole wad. (and they are probably also waiting for better 28nm yields, which is smart)

That said, the present GTX680 is more than a quantum leap for me... given that I'm still running an 8800GTX. :D

ViN86 03-27-12 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTaz (Post 2540387)
It's the "Smack your bitch up" card that should have been the GTX680 (if you go by traditional code names -> enthusiast level cards)... but nVidia didn't want to blow their whole wad. (and they are probably also waiting for better 28nm yields, which is smart)

That said, the present GTX680 is more than a quantum leap for me... given that I'm still running an 8800GTX. :D

That's a false statement. No one "holds back". Sitting on a card is a poor business move as it prevents forward progress. Kepler isn't the only architecture being worked on. You can be sure that they are already working on the next architecture, although we have no idea what it's called. Preventing the release of a card ties up engineers that could be used on a newer product.

GK110 wasn't ready, hence why we got a stripped down version of it, GK104. I'm excited to see what the GTX 670 Ti offers. :)

ViN86 03-27-12 09:29 AM

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...7&postcount=29

Quote:

GTX 680 was intended for March/April, it is now here. Fact is NVIDIA were always intending to release GTX 680 class card now, yes the spec may have changed but this has always being scheduled launch for their top-end GTX 680 product.
Nvidia always planned to label the best they had as the 680 and release it in March/April.

ViN86 03-27-12 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2540404)
Sure. The name and the price tag are here as planned. But the hardware behind it doesn't really deserve the name. It's more of a mid-range card that turned out really, really good.

It's wonderful news for nV, kinda bad for AMD und a bit disappointing for the end user, at least in my opinion.

Agreed.

The reason it turned out so well is because they had some extra OC headroom. So they added GPU boost and beat the 7970 with clock speed. It really is a mid-range card.

Either way, at its current price point, if you don't plan to overclock or use multiple cards, it's the best choice atm.

Ghosthunter 03-27-12 10:57 PM

I just cant find the 680 anywhere..all this stuff is confusing me..LOL

Bah! 03-27-12 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2540391)
That's a false statement. No one "holds back". Sitting on a card is a poor business move as it prevents forward progress.

How is selling a mid-range card at enthusiast prices a poor business move? I'm not exactly positive that Nvidia didn't hold back based on how well this card ended up. Releasing their best card first when this one is already faster than anything out there seems like that would be a bad move IMO. Now they can release a new card in the next month at a higher price point than what was currently the high end price and make a killing, or completely cripple ATI profits by dropping the price on the 680 and making them follow suit.

As far preventing forward progress, they don't exactly need much progress. We are still in the same console generation we were in nearly a decade ago and we won't be seeing a new generation for at least a couple of years. The amount of games that will require something better than what is currently available any time soon is slim to none.

Viral 03-28-12 01:47 AM

That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be? Calling it a 685 and only pricing it $100 higher... unless of course the 680 will be a bit cheaper by that time or receive a good price drop after the 685 launch.

I think it's going to be like socket 2011 has been with Intel, faster, but not really enough to justify the money for anyone not a complete enthusiast.

Locally, 7970's have dropped $60 and 680's are being gouged by $80-100, so if I were buying now I'd probably just go with a 7970 since the extra power/heat is worth it to me just to have the extra VRAM.

Yaboze 03-28-12 08:33 AM

If it's a mid-ranged card it sure as hell isn't priced like one.

ViN86 03-28-12 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah! (Post 2540602)
How is selling a mid-range card at enthusiast prices a poor business move? I'm not exactly positive that Nvidia didn't hold back based on how well this card ended up. Releasing their best card first when this one is already faster than anything out there seems like that would be a bad move IMO. Now they can release a new card in the next month at a higher price point than what was currently the high end price and make a killing, or completely cripple ATI profits by dropping the price on the 680 and making them follow suit.

As far preventing forward progress, they don't exactly need much progress. We are still in the same console generation we were in nearly a decade ago and we won't be seeing a new generation for at least a couple of years. The amount of games that will require something better than what is currently available any time soon is slim to none.

I never said it was. I said they put out the best available that they had, as the road map and my inside-source quote both seem to indicate.

I said sitting on a finished GK110 would be a poor business move. I know everyone here wants to believe that GK110 is finished and it's going to drop next month, but it's not. GK104 is what you get for a little while.

Treason 03-28-12 11:32 AM

I'm disappointed that consumers have to wait until August or the latter part of this year to await Kepler lower end/entry level cards. In the meantime consumers can purchase the new AMD 7770 and 7750 right now.

It seems that nVidia is wholly focused on high end customers right now. What about us consumers on a tight budget and low gaming needs? Is nVidia letting Intel and AMD fight over the "bottom of the barrel"?

Are line-up releases staggered now just because of financial reasons?