nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   GTX 680 -which one to get? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177497)

Ghosthunter 04-01-12 04:30 PM

GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
So right now everything is out of stock everywhere but curious I looked at EVGA page and see they have 4 different models

Gtx 680 - Standard
Gtx 680 - Super clocked
Gtx 680 - Super clocked with backplate
Gtx 680 - Hydro copper

Is it really worth getting once of these that is Overclocked? Or just overclock it myself? Trying to figure out, originally my budge was $500 so going much more then that is pushing it.

mojoman0 04-01-12 06:05 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
EVGA usually also have some higher end overclocks down the line like the FTW version. The preoverclocked parts should be a little higher binned, but seeing how modest the sc clocks are, I'd say they are just reference bins with a different clock default.

Maverick123w 04-01-12 06:43 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosthunter (Post 2541859)
So right now everything is out of stock everywhere but curious I looked at EVGA page and see they have 4 different models

Gtx 680 - Standard
Gtx 680 - Super clocked
Gtx 680 - Super clocked with backplate
Gtx 680 - Hydro copper

Is it really worth getting once of these that is Overclocked? Or just overclock it myself? Trying to figure out, originally my budge was $500 so going much more then that is pushing it.

I'd just go with a standard one especially if you're gonna be running an e8400

TheTaz 04-01-12 06:55 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
I got the Standard one.

I'm not sure 50Mhz overclock is worth an extra $10 for the Superclocked versions, but I went with what was available (and they sold out 3 minutes after my order).

I was going to get a Hydro Copper... but $200 extra for a water block... EVGA is smokin' crack. I can pick up a water block later for around $100, if I feel the need. But Honestly, I think I'm going to stick with an Air Cooled GPU, and keep my CPU Liquid cooled for now. Since I run a 1280x1024 monitor still... I have absolutely zero need to overclock the overkill of a GTX680. :D

mojoman0 04-01-12 07:48 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
wow...or to own a 680 period lol

ViN86 04-01-12 11:33 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2541884)
wow...or to own a 680 period lol

:lol:

Roadhog 04-01-12 11:35 PM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
ITT: How not to prioritize.

MUYA 04-02-12 12:23 AM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTaz (Post 2541879)
I got the Standard one.

I'm not sure 50Mhz overclock is worth an extra $10 for the Superclocked versions, but I went with what was available (and they sold out 3 minutes after my order).

I was going to get a Hydro Copper... but $200 extra for a water block... EVGA is smokin' crack. I can pick up a water block later for around $100, if I feel the need. But Honestly, I think I'm going to stick with an Air Cooled GPU, and keep my CPU Liquid cooled for now. Since I run a 1280x1024 monitor still... I have absolutely zero need to overclock the overkill of a GTX680. :D

Gratz!

A display that does 1080 should be your next purchase to fully enjoy the benefits of that 680! :)

Ghosthunter 04-02-12 05:36 AM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick123w (Post 2541877)
I'd just go with a standard one especially if you're gonna be running an e8400

as soon as ivy bridge releases I am updating cpu/mobo/ram, though I am tempted for Sandy but may as well wait until April 29

I need to update my Signature as well...I just got last week

Asus 25 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236123

along with an SSD drive

TheTaz 04-02-12 08:27 AM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA (Post 2541945)
Gratz!

A display that does 1080 should be your next purchase to fully enjoy the benefits of that 680! :)

I've been looking at them... but I may wait until I get a new motherboard and CPU (probably next year). I've been waiting for Ivy bridge and some price drops.

One of the advantages of sticking to my old 1280x1024 monitor, is that my 8800GTX lasted 5 years. That's a record for me, since I was replacing video cards every 1.5 - 2 years. Of course, the slow down in the PC Game market helped too (As, in not as many titles worth a darn for the PC in recent years). If I do stick to 1280x1024, I should be easily able to run everything at max settings + max AA / AF for another 5 years. :D

Johnny C 04-02-12 08:55 AM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosthunter (Post 2541968)
as soon as ivy bridge releases I am updating cpu/mobo/ram, though I am tempted for Sandy but may as well wait until April 29

I need to update my Signature as well...I just got last week

Asus 25 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236123

along with an SSD drive

I have the 27" version of that monitor and I love it.

Congrats on the 680

FastRedPonyCar 04-02-12 09:53 AM

Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?
 
I'm holding off to see whether the 4gig cards offer any substantial difference when gaming @ 2560x1440 over the standard 2 gig card.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.