nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you install an HD into a tray??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179597)

mojoman0 04-28-12 08:58 PM

How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
I'm having a hell of a time putting a seagate drive into a removable cooler master tray with rubber vibration dampeners. The metal plug in the dampener seems to only snap in where the screw would go a little bit. Is this normal? It doesn't make it far into the threads in the hd so when I try to get all 4 pegs in, they start slipping out of the rubber dampener. Am I missing something? HELP

This is what the tray looks like

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/3-5-hdd-tray-oem-package/

Roadhog 04-28-12 10:33 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
LOL seriously? Assemble the tray like it looks in your pic... Clip it around the hard drive... done...

mojoman0 04-28-12 10:41 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
its so rigid and tight that the rubber slips off of the metal inserts. Im wondering if the pegs are too large in diameter or something

Roadhog 04-28-12 10:45 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2550675)
its so rigid and tight that the rubber slips off of the metal inserts. Im wondering if the pegs are too large in diameter or something

Huh? You put the rubber around the metal pegs... Put the pegs in the tray and slide them into their locking position, then just flex the tray around the drive.

mojoman0 04-28-12 11:15 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
yea when i flex the tray around the the drive the pegs push into the side of the hard drive and end up pushing themselves out of the rubber. are the pegs supposed to fit all the way into the threading or just snap in a tiny bit?

Roadhog 04-28-12 11:16 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2550682)
yea when i flex the tray around the the drive the pegs push into the side of the hard drive and end up pushing themselves out of the rubber

Are you lining them up with the screw holes?

mojoman0 04-28-12 11:20 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2550683)
Are you lining them up with the screw holes?

yea but the holes are in the middle of the drive and its tight so they have to slide over the hard drive first which pushes them out of the rubber. it looks easy but its being a little bitch. Im wondering if the drive is wider than normal or if the pegs are too big for the threading. Ive never had an hd tray so i cant say from experience

Roadhog 04-28-12 11:29 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2550685)
yea but the holes are in the middle of the drive and its tight so they have to slide over the hard drive first which pushes them out of the rubber. it looks easy but its being a little bitch. Im wondering if the drive is wider than normal or if the pegs are too big for the threading. Ive never had an hd tray so i cant say from experience

Heh, Never had a problem with mine and I have the same ones in my case.

Did you see if the pegs fit in the holes?

It's literally this easy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lsgp07VI#t=88s

mojoman0 04-28-12 11:31 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
the pegs hardly fit in the holes. Just the tips of them snap a tiny bit in if i push really hard. its a brand new 1tb seagate 64mb. wow yea after watching that vid its nowhere near as easy as that.

Cylphid 04-29-12 09:59 AM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2550689)
the pegs hardly fit in the holes. Just the tips of them snap a tiny bit in if i push really hard. its a brand new 1tb seagate 64mb. wow yea after watching that vid its nowhere near as easy as that.

So the metal pegs do not just slide right in? It's possible the threads on the drive aren't machined cleanly. Try driving a screw into each hole, then try the pegs again. If the screw is super tight then the hole has burrs on the threads.

Yaboze 04-29-12 11:09 AM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Try rotating the drive, front to back or upside down. I had a tray that forced me to mount the drive upside down once, it wouldn't line up any other way.

The tray was in a work PC, a Dell, of all things.

mojoman0 04-29-12 12:24 PM

Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylphid (Post 2550753)
So the metal pegs do not just slide right in? It's possible the threads on the drive aren't machined cleanly. Try driving a screw into each hole, then try the pegs again. If the screw is super tight then the hole has burrs on the threads.

yea the pegs dont fit into the threads at all. they just snap like half a mm in if i push hard. This must be why its so tight. I spent about an hour and got the drive in with most of the rubber still around the pegs..i wonder if seagate changed screw diameter


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.