nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If you intend on overclocking, it's probably best to skip Ivy Bridge (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179614)

Rakeesh 04-29-12 04:04 AM

If you intend on overclocking, it's probably best to skip Ivy Bridge

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...s-last-gen-cpu

In addition to what is stated in the main article, one of the comments nails the specifics:

Quote:

Seems like that would make sense if at normal 'voltage/speed' the Ivy Bridge is using less power. Based on the the numbers in the link the Ivy Bridge has a higher overall thermal resistance, junction-to-air, of roughly 30% [=((100C-20C)/(80C-20C))*(231W/236W)]. Based on other reviews the Ivy Bridge processors uses less power at stock frequency/voltage so that may be offsetting much of the temperature rise due to an increase in package resistance and heatsink interface resistance, under normal conditions.

Power dissipation increases exponential with increases in frequency/voltage and it appears to rise faster with the Ivy Bridge processors. So as the power dissipation approaches or exceeds that of the Sandy Bridge processor much higher processor temperatures will be measured in the Ivy Bridge because of the higher thermal resistances.

I think this is a non-issue for the average consumer. However, overclockers would probably be better off with the Sandy Bridge hardware.

Viral 04-29-12 07:05 PM

Re: If you intend on overclocking, it's probably best to skip Ivy Bridge

It makes me wonder how the chips would go at higher clock speeds with the same tdp as Sandybridge. Maybe in time things will change with the process. At the very least Haswell with its larger GPU will at least have a larger die to disperse the heat better. I'm sure the process will have improved by then also. Ivy has been pretty disappointing for enthusiasts, but in the mobile sector it's a strong step forward. I still think if I were to buy a laptop this year it would probably end up being Trinity based.

Ghosthunter 04-29-12 10:09 PM

From what I been reading at overclockers you can get to 4.5 real easy without having to lower voltage, but then after that you need water cooling.

To be honest I don't need anything more then 4.5, and not even sure if I will go that high, I need more stability then OC

Rakeesh 04-29-12 10:19 PM

My i7 2600k does 4.4Ghz at a relatively low temp. I could probably go higher if I physically located my computer somewhere else (it doesn't get good airflow where it is) but I'm fine with it the way it is.

crainger 04-29-12 11:17 PM

::wonder::

Fairchild7102 05-12-12 07:36 AM

I have mine @ 4.4ghz with around 1.23v at load and temps are well within reason and I run folding@home 24/7. :)

mullet 05-12-12 09:12 AM

I don't know now if I should go Ivy or Sandy?

mullet 05-12-12 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2555157)
Ivy. I mean those few MHz won't make a difference in a normal desktop scenario.

So Ivy + Z77 or is there a better chipset coming? I may even go SLI for the first time. I listen to you and Muppet so make it good. :D

Rakeesh 05-12-12 04:17 PM

Yeah the main thing is that if you're already on Sandy and you've overclocked a great deal, you probably won't see any benefit in going with Ivy.

However if you're on something older, then Ivy may be an improvement.

mullet 05-12-12 04:57 PM

Well I want to give the Sandy to the wife for her system and build an all new system. I will use a single monitor @ 1920x1200 so I agree a single 680 will do. Thanks for the input guys.

This is what I have so far.

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Dual Fan Universal CPU Cooler

mojoman0 05-12-12 07:32 PM

power supply is way overkill

mullet 05-12-12 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2555307)
power supply is way overkill

I love overkill, LOL. I may go SLI later.