Company of Heroes 2 first details: it's in Russia, it's snowy, it looks amazing
Company of Heroes 2 is coming! Relic, makers of Homeworld and Dawn of War, have finally announced the sequel to their glorious, Nazi-stomping World War II strategy game.
If you want to read every shrapnel of information, you'll need to run out and buy the next issue of PC Gamer magazine ' on sale in the UK on May 9th, and the US May 22nd. UK readers even get Company of Heroes 1 free
with every issue.
But if you want to know the basics, read on below for how Relic intend to follow the best real-time strategy game of all time.
- It's set on the Russian front. You control the Soviets in their fight to repel the invading Nazi force.
- Snow plays a major part on the battlefield, falling and melting dynamically, and slowing your soldiers and tanks based on its depth.
- The game runs on the Essence 3 engine, the latest version of the graphics engine Relic have been updating and expanding upon for years.
- The cover system has been revamped, to function more realistically and allow soldiers to vault over obstacles.
- Line of sight plays a large tactical role, with the game's fog of war based on what your soldier's can actually see. Relic call this system 'True Sight', and it causes areas of the map to be grayed out and enemies within turned invisible by buildings, items of cover, or dropped smoke grenades.
- The Normandy landing that opened Company of Heroes (and Saving Private Ryan, one of its key inspirations), was the 23rd biggest battle of World War 2. '13 of the 15 bloddiest battles' happened on the Eastern front, points out Company of Heroes lead designer, Quinn Duffy. The game should represent those battles and their vicious scale, as much as it does minute infantry tactics.
- Just like the original, the scenery is highly destructible, and you'll be given control of plenty of tanks and other explosive equipment. That includes barn-burning flamethrowers.
- There will be multiplayer, but Relic aren't ready yet to talk about it.
- The game is due out 2013.
We'll have loads more information on Company of Heroes in the coming weeks, as and when we're allowed to talk about it. Or you could order a PC Gamer magazine
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.