nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181738)

Redeemed 05-24-12 08:39 PM

Question...

Okay, if you had the rig that is presently in my signature and were 100% satisfied with it, but you also had the opportunity to purchase a retail i7 3930k for $180 + Shipping, would you? You'd have to also purchase a new mobo at full price.

In addition to that, if you could pick up a 180GB Intel 520 Series SSD for $185 + shipping, would you?

Just curious on ya'll input. Remember, answer these as if you had my rig and were 100% satisfied with it meaning you've no real need to upgrade.

Thanks ya'll. :)

mojoman0 05-24-12 09:09 PM

Re: Question...

cpu nah, ssd yes

crainger 05-24-12 09:12 PM

Nope.

Maybe yes to the SSD. Might be good as a game drive.

bob saget 05-24-12 09:39 PM

What the two scoundrels above me said. I am running my 920 till it melts through the floorboards and infects the groundwater, turning the neighbours into zombies.

mullet 05-24-12 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman0 (Post 2558734)
cpu nah, ssd yes

+1

Redeemed 05-24-12 10:26 PM

I appreciate the input guys. :)

Not gonna' lie, I've been rocking this mobo and CPU since '09 and just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really (:p) want to upgrade. Problem is I have no need to upgrade my CPU or my mobo.

Dangit! :( :lol:

Unless somebody brings up a really convince argument otherwise thinking I'll just grab that SSD to replace my boot drive. I've been wanting to upgrade my storage, most these drives are old and a bit slower compared to their modern cousins. 180GB should be very comfortable as an OS drive and a handful of programs (mostly Office, Norton360, etc).

Twice a year I can get killer discounts on Intel products. Maybe this winter if I can grab the processor with a mobo for super cheap. :p

Thanks again! :)

mullet 05-24-12 11:13 PM

I think that's the biggest bang for the buck Redeemed. The SSD will get rid of your last bottleneck. If you get killer deals on Intel products get the Intel 520 SSD.

crainger 05-25-12 12:14 AM

SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do these days.

Also why are you running Norton 360? ::bleh::

Maverick123w 05-25-12 12:16 AM

SSD

Greedo 05-25-12 01:36 AM

ssd's are pretty awesome if you haven't tried one yet. you can't be a virgin forever, you know.

LurkerLito 05-25-12 01:53 PM

Definitely yes to the SSD. I just built a new rig, but I could have held out longer with my old rig (see sig). The SSD made a big difference in the old rig for the short time I had it in there.

jkmetal 05-25-12 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2558750)
I appreciate the input guys. :)

Not gonna' lie, I've been rocking this mobo and CPU since '09 and just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really (:p) want to upgrade. Problem is I have no need to upgrade my CPU or my mobo.

Dangit! :( :lol:

Unless somebody brings up a really convince argument otherwise thinking I'll just grab that SSD to replace my boot drive. I've been wanting to upgrade my storage, most these drives are old and a bit slower compared to their modern cousins. 180GB should be very comfortable as an OS drive and a handful of programs (mostly Office, Norton360, etc).

Twice a year I can get killer discounts on Intel products. Maybe this winter if I can grab the processor with a mobo for super cheap. :p

Thanks again! :)

I been running my mobo and cpu since fall of 09 and they were used back then. The q9950 is 4 years old now. I know the upgrade itch well but I really can't find any reason why I need to upgrade my cpu/mobo. When the next console gen rolls around I be SOL but until then I m ride this until it I can't ride it anymore.