nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Should we reinstall nvidia driver for new kernels? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181902)

Bersam 05-27-12 01:58 AM

[SOLVED] Should we reinstall nvidia driver for new kernels?

I updated my ubuntu 12.04 to new kernel (3.2.0) now GLX module doesn't load, i want to know every time that i upgrade to new kernel i have to reinstall the whole driver? or just only a module? (there's any script to just recompile/reinstall only GLX module for new kernel?)

Gusar 05-27-12 04:52 AM

Re: Should we reinstall nvidia driver for new kernels?

All external kernel modules need to be recompiled for each kernel you're running. This isn't specific to nvidia, it's not possible to work differently. In many cases distros have mechanisms to automate it (either packages with pre-compiled modules, or scripts that rebuild the modules, or some such). So you should inquire about how your distro does this.

Bersam 05-27-12 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusar
All external kernel modules need to be recompiled for each kernel you're running. This isn't specific to nvidia, it's not possible to work differently. In many cases distros have mechanisms to automate it (either packages with pre-compiled modules, or scripts that rebuild the modules, or some such). So you should inquire about how your distro does this.

Thanks for reply :),
I use lastest Nvidia Driver that not provided by my distro, yet. so i just want to know i have to run whole installer (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.34-pkg2.run) again, or there's some script that rebuild modules from NVIDIA?

artem 05-27-12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bersam (Post 2559260)
Thanks for reply :),
I use lastest Nvidia Driver that not provided by my distro, yet. so i just want to know i have to run whole installer (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.34-pkg2.run) again, or there's some script that rebuild modules from NVIDIA?

You can build a kernel module for a running kernel this way:

Code:

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run -K
or if you need to build it for a new kernel:

Code:

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run -K -k KERNEL_VERSION
KERNEL_VERSION will be something like 3.4.0-ubuntu (run `uname -r` or `dpkg -l | grep linux` to see it).

Gusar 05-27-12 08:26 AM

I usually manually run the steps to compile just the module. But I'm looking at the installer options now, there's an interesting one in there: --kernel-module-only. So just running the installer with that option should do the trick.

Edit: Bah, artem posted while I was typing this. :)

Bersam 05-27-12 04:42 PM

artem, Gusar, Thank you both. that -K option worked good :) and now i have GLX back.