nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Internet Running Real Slow using nForce1 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18287)

hndpaul 09-19-03 07:38 AM

Internet Running Real Slow using nForce1
 
Hi.

I'm hoping someone out there has found a fix for this- seems like an aweful lot of you are having difficulties with nForce and Linux!

I installed Mandrake 9.1, dual boot with Windows XP Home Edition on my MSI 420D Pro nForce Motherboard. I installed the relevant nVidia nForce driver pack for this board in Linux, and everything is "working"- sound, network etc. All is listed in /modules.conf etc and where it should be.

I configured my network card (onboard card) using nvnet module and DHCP (it connects directly to my NetGear Router that runs as DHCP Server to my Mac and Linux machines). This works. The thing surfs and oonnects to the LAN, but when rendering a web page the whole system hangs for around 10 seconds; the mouse is real jerky at this point, and multitasking non-existent.

What's up? Am I missing something? Please- any advice would be genuinely received with thanks.

Paul

cyberess 10-16-03 11:17 AM

Re: Internet Running Real Slow using nForce1
 
Try rolling back the Nforce drivers.. to say the 248 version, http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0248.html
I had massive problems with the lastest version 261, and a Nforce1 motherboard ASUS A7N266-VM, with the 261 driver the PC would freeze for a couple of seconds with load on the Network, also Samba would run the CPU at 99%, while another PC would access the SAMBA server. I done a "rpm --rebuild" on the 248 version or the Nforce RPM source. and this solved every thing..
Except the crappy USB support. I have a removable USB harddrive, while accessing that via the USB port, the PC wil slow right down, till it just about freezes.. I don't have an anwser for the USB stuff..

Cheers
Mark

Quote:

Originally posted by hndpaul
Hi.

I'm hoping someone out there has found a fix for this- seems like an aweful lot of you are having difficulties with nForce and Linux!

I installed Mandrake 9.1, dual boot with Windows XP Home Edition on my MSI 420D Pro nForce Motherboard. I installed the relevant nVidia nForce driver pack for this board in Linux, and everything is "working"- sound, network etc. All is listed in /modules.conf etc and where it should be.

I configured my network card (onboard card) using nvnet module and DHCP (it connects directly to my NetGear Router that runs as DHCP Server to my Mac and Linux machines). This works. The thing surfs and oonnects to the LAN, but when rendering a web page the whole system hangs for around 10 seconds; the mouse is real jerky at this point, and multitasking non-existent.

What's up? Am I missing something? Please- any advice would be genuinely received with thanks.

Paul


mjf 10-17-03 12:49 PM

That worked for me
 
Hey, Just want you to know that rolling back the network drivers did the trick for me! Thanks!

RH9 2.4.20-20

cyberess 10-17-03 08:57 PM

Re: That worked for me
 
Yes I think that Ndivia should look into that,.. the 248 version certainly is a better network driver, than the 261 version.. That is with the Nforce1 stuff..

Areas that need improvements in the drivers,

1/ Fix the latest version of the driver for NForce1 Motherboards (Particularly the network driver)

2/ Improve the sound driver, the Alsa driver is better than the Nvidia driver.

3/ I found that the USB extemely poor, load up the USB say with a USB hard drive, the system will just about stop.

GEE I hope someone from Nvidia will take notice and fix their drivers.


Quote:

Originally posted by mjf
Hey, Just want you to know that rolling back the network drivers did the trick for me! Thanks!

RH9 2.4.20-20


Patriiiiiiiiick 10-18-03 06:38 PM

Hi!

I had exactly the same issue and I have the same motherboard as the first poster of this thread. But I am running SuSE 8.2. That means that to be able to use the 248 driver, I had to rebuild it. After solving different issues, I got this error when compiling:

error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
error: requested alignment is not a constant

If one knows how to solve it, I'll be interested even if I found another solution: a version 256 of the driver exists and is ready to be used by SuSE 8.2.

Patrick

cyberess 10-19-03 05:58 AM

Not sure but do you have the Kernel source , as if you don't have it installed the src.rpm will not rebuild.

Cheers
Mark


Quote:

Originally posted by Patriiiiiiiiick
Hi!

I had exactly the same issue and I have the same motherboard as the first poster of this thread. But I am running SuSE 8.2. That means that to be able to use the 248 driver, I had to rebuild it. After solving different issues, I got this error when compiling:

error: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
error: requested alignment is not a constant

If one knows how to solve it, I'll be interested even if I found another solution: a version 256 of the driver exists and is ready to be used by SuSE 8.2.

Patrick


Patriiiiiiiiick 10-19-03 04:41 PM

Yes, I have it installed. That is one of the "issues" I have solved.
Quote:

Originally posted by cyberess
Not sure but do you have the Kernel source , as if you don't have it installed the src.rpm will not rebuild.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.