nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can be a (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184319)

News 06-15-12 08:30 PM

Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can be a

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-c...ve-feature.jpg

Cloud gaming might not count for a large part of the market right now, but there are many ' including us ' that believe it will be an massively important part of the future, once internet speeds have improved. Sony agrees, and is looking closely at the industry.

When rumors (now proven to be bogus) sprung up suggesting that Sony would be getting into the cloud game at E3, we were all excited about how the move could cement the console maker's future in such turbulent times. Sadly, the rumor never came true, but that doesn't mean the company isn't interested in cloud gaming, or aware of its potential.

Speaking to GI.biz, Scott Rohde, Sony Worldwide Studios vice president, commented on cloud gaming saying that it is 'absolutely inevitable that it's going to be a part of what everyone does.'

Continuing:
It just makes sense. And so, over the next five years, you're going to see everything evolve to that state because people want access to their data anywhere.

However, he declined to comment on Sony's plans, saying:
Will there be a streaming service? Will there be a partnership? I'm not going to answer those questions right now. But, like I've said ten times, like a broken record, the industry is always evolving.

Speaking to MCV, Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida was more candid, and said:
Cloud gaming services allow us to stream games via a server to different devices, but in order for it to become practical, the internet has to be very robust in terms of bandwidth and latency. As with all things infrastructure, it takes time for it to become widely available. Some consumers in the US and some parts of Europe have very robust and fast net speeds, so cloud gaming would be practical in those markets, but not when you look at the wider, broader global market.

Cloud gaming, because it's so easy for consumers and is so convenient (ie you don't have to do any big downloads, installation or setup). When there are faster internet connections, gaming in the cloud as a subscription service could become a reality.

We're looking at what OnLive is doing, and the tech around that, and considering how this can be a part of PlayStation.

Adding that when (not if) Sony does cloud gaming, it will allow for them to reach more people:
I think when it becomes a reality, what it'd do is allow us to reach a broader audience on devices PlayStation platforms, reaching broader audiences than we currently can.

But when David Jaffe made similar comments predicting a streaming future, much of the internet grew angry at the idea and professed a deep love for physical products.

What is your opinion on cloud gaming? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

© Sebastian Moss for PlayStation LifeStyle, 2012. | Permalink | One comment |Add to del.icio.us

More...

MikeC 06-15-12 09:04 PM

Re: Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can

After reading this article, I'm convinced Sony was caught with their pants down. It may already be too late for them to adapt, which means they will be left in the dust.

Sony never adapted and needed to repackage the PS4 as a cloud gaming device.

Sony couldn't purchase GAIKIA because they are not for sale. Sony could have partnered with GAIKIA, but Samsung did.

Consumers will be using TVs to game on NVIDIA's GeForce GRID and their latest Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) instead of the already outdated hardware on the PS4.

Lucius342 06-15-12 11:21 PM

Re: Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can be a

Cloud gaming blows. Yea! lets all take 10 steps backwards, and indulge in some low res, high latency, not at all cost effective (for the consumer) Gayming. I want that! :thumbdwn: I just do not see the
benefit of Sony jumping on this gimmicky bandwagon. Worthless garbage. I either get a disk, or some sort of download so that the game runs locally or i'll be keeping my monies...

|MaguS| 06-17-12 02:36 PM

Re: Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2564389)
After reading this article, I'm convinced Sony was caught with their pants down. It may already be too late for them to adapt, which means they will be left in the dust.

Sony never adapted and needed to repackage the PS4 as a cloud gaming device.

Sony couldn't purchase GAIKIA because they are not for sale. Sony could have partnered with GAIKIA, but Samsung did.

Consumers will be using TVs to game on NVIDIA's GeForce GRID and their latest Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) instead of the already outdated hardware on the PS4.

Nah this wont affect them at all. I know you and most of the people who visit this site think its the future or how nvidia with their stupid **** will take over but it wont make a dent in the home space for many years. We just don't have the infrastructure for it to be a viable solution currently. If anyone will feel the burn of cloud computing/gaming it will be the PC Gaming industry. Gaikai is already using their services for demos through websites, how long till they just go with full games? Check out http://tera.enmasse.com/, they stream the games demo...

If anything Sony is more ahead of cloud gaming then the other big three consoles since they already do cloud saves for their handheld/console cross play and the PSP and Vita have been able to play PS3 games remotely for sometime now. Heck Sony has more full retail games on their platform available for download then any other console already.

I will state this again, NO CONSOLE WILL BE CLOUD ONLY FOR MANY YEARS. Cloud gaming sucks in its current form and homes around the world do not have the connections needed for it to be profitable for companies to support it yet. The main problem getting Cloud gaming offer the ground and good are the ISPs around the world.

CLOUD GAMING BLOWS DONKEY NUTS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR MANY YEARS.

six_storm 06-17-12 02:58 PM

Cloud gaming will be ok IMO when bandwidth caps go away and speed increases ten fold. I don't want my Comcast bill being overcharged when I play a little more than what they allow me to. Also what happens when Internet goes out? Screwed. No thanks.

If consoles go to strictly cloud gaming, I'll go back to PC gaming right away.

|MaguS| 06-17-12 03:08 PM

Re: Sony Admits Cloud is 'Absolutely Inevitable', is 'Considering How This Can be a

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2564762)
Cloud gaming will be ok IMO when bandwidth caps go away and speed increases ten fold. I don't want my Comcast bill being overcharged when I play a little more than what they allow me to. Also what happens when Internet goes out? Screwed. No thanks.

If consoles go to strictly cloud gaming, I'll go back to PC gaming right away.

Comcast charges you overage? If I exceed 250GB they have the right to terminate my service and ban me for a year... and their the only ISP I can get where I live. They have me by the balls.

Lucius342 06-17-12 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Lee (Post 2564752)
You obviously have no sense of foresight. Look forward, oh ye of little faith. Where were we just a few years ago compared to now? You think we've hit a wall or something?

Another thing, you registered just to make your first post to talk about something that nobody has really implemented yet. Cloud gaming isn't matured or even a big part of gaming yet.

I smell a troll.

No, Not trolling, and apologies if it seems so. I'm just tired of hearing about it everywhere i go on the interwebs. There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the consumer in this. it's just like this whole 3D thing. Some folks like it, but most do not. I'd rather have 2k, 4k content than 3D. It just makes more sense to me. My frustration comes from knowing why they are really doing this. Something is horribly wrong with the gaming industry. Everything they are doing seems ass backwards, and can only serve to add more bitterness from the once loyal fan base.

frenchy2k1 06-21-12 12:00 PM

Actually, if comcast were smart, THEY would implement cloud gaming.
Link it to your HD receiver and voila.
The box under the TV needs very little power and could (should?) be integrated. Samsung will do it with their TV, if a cable network were to do it with their decoder box, they would have a leg up. Pay a monthly subscription, part of your cable/internet bill and rake in the dough.
High end gaming on PC is not going anywhere, but casual gaming or console on TV? There is definitly an opportunity here...

MikeC 06-21-12 12:16 PM

Have you guys tried the free demos on GAIKAI?

http://www.gaikai.com/

Samsung will be bundling GAIKAI on their upcoming 7000 Series SmartTVs.

NVIDIA GeForce GRID will be at the back-end.

|MaguS| 06-21-12 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2565948)
Have you guys tried the free demos on GAIKAI?

http://www.gaikai.com/

Samsung will be bundling GAIKAI on their upcoming 7000 Series SmartTVs.

NVIDIA GeForce GRID will be at the back-end.

Yup it sucks and looks like **** on actual high end games. Samsung uses it for ****ty games.

Viral 06-21-12 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2564765)
Comcast charges you overage? If I exceed 250GB they have the right to terminate my service and ban me for a year... and their the only ISP I can get where I live. They have me by the balls.

That's insane. I have 150GB for $59/mo but almost all plans here slow you to a barely usable 64kbit with no charges when you go over. My ISP however hosts many game servers where data is not counted, almost all steam download data that is mirrored on a local server is not counted, as well as local IPTV services. I also have the option to buy data blocks if I exceed my cap. At $5 for 2GB they aren't great, but if you accidentally go over and want decent speeds for normal browsing/light media streaming for the rest of the month it's a good option.

I imagine any cloud gaming services offered here will get similar treatment. Of course any sort of services are pretty pointless before more people get 100mbit fiber, which is 1-5 years off depending where you live. The average DSL connection here is probably 6-8mbit... sure quite a few get 15-20 which would be just enough, but the majority don't. Personally I think 15mbit is a minimum for cloud gaming.