nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   We apologize (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184696)

SteveBean 06-20-12 09:30 AM

We apologize
 
We are sorry
Linus gets kind of carried away sometimes
please don't hold it against us

Spyke 06-20-12 12:44 PM

Re: We apologize
 
I posted my thoughts in another thread but they remain the same.

#1 Linus does NOT speak for the rest of us Linux guys.
#2 NVIDIA has provided me (for many years!) the best performance/experience in Linux bar none.

Any questions?

jesmith 06-20-12 02:51 PM

Re: We apologize
 
Speak for yourself, SteveBean. NVIDIA needs to start supporting Optimus properly. Bumblebee is crap that doesn't work. I really don't care whether NVIDIA's drivers are open or proprietary, but I do care whether I can run Linux on a notebook with a discrete graphics chip.

I've been trying everything under the sun, and I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you cannot, today, buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux. They *all* use Optimus, and Optimus *does not work* in Linux.

The fundamental defect with bumblebee is that it assumes you can run the chip headless, but GeForce chips won't run headless (only Quaddro chips do that). There was a work-around where you would tell the GeForce chip to pretend it had a CRT, but that doesn't work with the latest drivers and chips.

So bumblebee doesn't work. And hence Linux cannot use the NVIDIA chips AT ALL.

NVIDIA has given the Linux-on-notebooks community the old heave 'ho, and saying they contribute to ARM is completely irrelevant.

OneEyedMule 06-20-12 02:55 PM

Re: We apologize
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyke (Post 2565684)
I posted my thoughts in another thread but they remain the same.

#1 Linus does NOT speak for the rest of us Linux guys.
#2 NVIDIA has provided me (for many years!) the best performance/experience in Linux bar none.

Any questions?

Yes. Question on point #2: Why are you settling for an "always-on" nVidia card? That's right, you are settling. You could have the option to use either Intel IG to save electricity -or- a discrete card for more power. But you probably also leave the faucet water running when you brush your teeth too, eh?

Gusar 06-20-12 03:10 PM

Re: We apologize
 
And the over-dramatizing award goes to...

Spyke 06-20-12 08:05 PM

Re: We apologize
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneEyedMule (Post 2565729)
Yes. Question on point #2: Why are you settling for an "always-on" nVidia card? That's right, you are settling. You could have the option to use either Intel IG to save electricity -or- a discrete card for more power. But you probably also leave the faucet water running when you brush your teeth too, eh?

I wont use Intel integrated crap in anything except a laptop. I'm the person that uses 480's and 680's in Linux. Again without issue.

There are many power users who actually prefer their workstation to any silly limiting laptop. I use a netbook for working onsite and thats about it, its workstation for everything else.

As for saving power, it hit 34C in Toronto today, there's no saving any electricity unless you want to suffer....

Also, did I not mention I do most of my gaming in Linux too? Yeah, discrete card makes sense....
Playing Diablo 3 @ 2560x1440 @100Hz with a YAMAKASI Catleap.... while my second monitor still allows me to get work done. Laptop what?

Plenty of good reasons to "settle" on a high-end discrete video card....

tadawson 06-21-12 08:58 AM

Re: We apologize
 
Yet, Ironically, I sit here in front of a Lenovo W520 laptop, with the Quadro 1000M chipset, with Optimus, running bone stock nVidia drivers from 275 to 320, and they all run it pretty much flawlessly.

My point is not that Optimus is necessarily good, but to point out the idiocy of your comment that "You can't buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux"

Wrong, plain and simple . . . . The Lenovo BIOS lets you select the Integratd, Discrete, or Optimus . . . simply set to discrete, load up the nVidia driver, and you are off to the races . . .

So, from a hardware perspective, at least Lenovo got it right!

- Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesmith (Post 2565727)
Speak for yourself, SteveBean. NVIDIA needs to start supporting Optimus properly. Bumblebee is crap that doesn't work. I really don't care whether NVIDIA's drivers are open or proprietary, but I do care whether I can run Linux on a notebook with a discrete graphics chip.

I've been trying everything under the sun, and I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you cannot, today, buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux. They *all* use Optimus, and Optimus *does not work* in Linux.

The fundamental defect with bumblebee is that it assumes you can run the chip headless, but GeForce chips won't run headless (only Quaddro chips do that). There was a work-around where you would tell the GeForce chip to pretend it had a CRT, but that doesn't work with the latest drivers and chips.

So bumblebee doesn't work. And hence Linux cannot use the NVIDIA chips AT ALL.

NVIDIA has given the Linux-on-notebooks community the old heave 'ho, and saying they contribute to ARM is completely irrelevant.


MikeC 06-21-12 09:21 AM

Re: We apologize
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBean (Post 2565623)
We are sorry
Linus gets kind of carried away sometimes
please don't hold it against us

Thank you.

Please keep this discussion civil and provide constructive feedback to NVIDIA and the Linux community. I'm certain NVIDIA will read this thread, but it's unlikely they will have the time to respond.

Thanks,
MikeC

briohewi 06-21-12 02:49 PM

Re: We apologize
 
To Nvidia,
Thanks for your linux graphics driver, especially VDPAU which gives me rock solid HD video.

piotrq__ 06-22-12 05:38 AM

Re: We apologize
 
My pointless-threads-o-meter has been way up in the red zone lately. What the heck, guys?

hussam 06-22-12 05:54 PM

Re: We apologize
 
torvalds needs to make up his mind lol. wasn't he years ago against the idea of blocking loading of out of tree modules?
sounds to me like he will argue against anything just for the sake of arguing.

MikeC 06-22-12 10:29 PM

Re: We apologize
 
Based on the low number of responses in this thread, I'd say that NVIDIA is doing a great job supporting Linux.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.